SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I'd like your thoughts on a company's "free shipping" policy.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I'd like your thoughts on a company's "free shipping" policy. Login/Join 
Picture of vthoky
posted
Good afternoon, SF.

Last week I saw a gadget I wanted from a well-known company -- for simplicity, let's call them P-Co.

P-Co's web site is one I visit often, always seeing things I want and don't need, but things that are valuable to my hobbies. So last night I figured I had stalled in "think about it for a while" mode for too long, and placed my order. I ordered two other items as well, things that had been on my want list for some time. The main item was roughly $150, the other two roughly $20 each.

P-Co's splashy offer was "free shipping on orders over $49." My order qualified for that easily. I placed the order, finding that one of the less-expensive items was on backorder, expected to ship on Tuesday. I'm fine with that, I'm in no particular rush for the items. The in-stock items would ship immediately*, and the delayed item would ship with a $5.49 shipping fee.
(* Immediately? I placed the order on Saturday night, I'm thinking it won't ship until Monday at best.)

Say, what?

On the one hand, I'm a little irked about it. Yes, it's now two different shipments, but the goods were all on the same order. I'm of the mind that the entire order should ship on the free-shipping offer.

Thinking about it for a while this morning, I thought "hey, I appreciate the quick shipping on the two items, but I honestly would have been okay if the entire order had been held up until Tuesday in order to consolidate shipping. Maybe that should have been offered at the time of checkout?" (Especially when considering the *, above.)

As I sit here watching the sun prepare to set, I can't decide whether to send a grouchy note to customer service at P-Co, or to just let it ride.

What would you do, ladies and gents?

God bless America.

Posts: 13503 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
Their systems may treat a backordered item as a separate order. I'd expect the company to honor the spirit of the policy.

I'd send a note, but not a grouchy one.

Posts: 3661 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
quote:

"hey, I appreciate the quick shipping on the two items, but I honestly would have been okay if the entire order had been held up until Tuesday in order to consolidate shipping.

This.

Posts: 3724 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Paddle your
own canoe
Picture of BigWhup
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thinking about it for a while this morning, I thought "hey, I appreciate the quick shipping on the two items, but I honestly would have been okay if the entire order had been held up until Tuesday in order to consolidate shipping. Maybe that should have been offered at the time of checkout?" (Especially when considering the *, above.)

Exactly whatI would tell them to do. I bet they will no charge the shipping og =f the later item if they can't hold the in stock items.

Posts: 1553 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: August 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Send a note letting them know that how you feel. Ive canceled orders because of that issue.They should tell you up front that the separate item will be charged shipping.

I'm alright it's the rest of the world that's all screwed up!

Posts: 1366 | Location: Southern Michigan | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Contact them. They should waive the shipping charge.

Posts: 11846 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Definitely contact them and politely explain your issue. They should fix it. I can't recall ever getting hit with an additional shipping charge for for a backordered part of a larger order.

Posts: 4278 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
As other's have said, it's probably a system glitch more than them trying to screw you. System sees an order for less than $49 and charges the shipping rather than writing it off. They'll likely waive it if you call them and are nice about it.

Posts: 6350 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ryan81986:
probably a system glitch

That makes sense. I've sent an email... let's see how it turns out.

God bless America.

Posts: 13503 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Grouchy communication early on almost never inhances the situation at hand , especially the first exchange.

A simple call to inquire ,most often will put those involved on the same page, so to speak.
Example: I just ordered 12 Items, on the phone, from a company in So. Carolina,

Technically , none of the 4 purchaces met the required
$50.00 minimum for free postage, too four addresses.

But I made sure to ask first, and they did some adjusting and all turns out well in the end.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54644 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Well, here's the resolution:

I sent an email last night:

quote:

Good afternoon. I'm writing to ask a question about the free shipping policy.

Last night I placed an order for three items (order #nnn). Two were in stock, one was estimated to be in stock on Tuesday (5/12). I accepted the offer for free shipping on orders over $49.

Upon order confirmation, I learned that the backordered item (product #nnn) would be tagged with a $5.49 shipping charge.

On the one hand, I understand that the system split the order in two due to item availability. On the other, I think the free shipping offer should apply to the entire order, rather than only to the in-stock items.

Perhaps the system could offer an option to hold in-stock items for a short time to let (reasonably) delayed items be grouped into the same shipment?

Thank you for your consideration.

I got a response this morning:
quote:

Thank you for your email regarding your recent order. I am very sorry for the confusion regarding the free shipping. Unfortunately the free shipping does only apply to the in-stock items, I apologize. However, your feedback is very important to us and I have documented it for review. I apologize sincerely for the inconveniences.

Thanks for Your Business

Ehh. Doesn't hurt to ask, right?

God bless America.

Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
If you don’t need the other items right away tell them to hold the order until everything is ready to ship.

Posts: 9964 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am guessing that they will make you happy, but! There are companies out there that do this that really enjoy 79% of the customers that would never inquire about the added fee.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54644 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
Very often, it is the "marketing" people who come up with sales promotions and the like. These are also the people who have the least prediliction for attention to detail. They don't know or care or wouldn't care if you expected them to anticipate common situations like that. This is why the people who implement their crazy shit is responsible for following up with detailed fulfillment analyses and "what if" scenarious. In some companies this secondary function may be between somewhat or completely lacking. This is why we have operations managers and IT departments, someone has to do the dirty work while the marketing and sales people get all the glory. And if they don't get any glory, the operations managers and IT department catch hell. Go figure.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8683 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:
The in-stock items would ship immediately*, and the delayed item would ship with a $5.49 shipping fee.

If that was shown before you pressed the order button, and you went ahead and ordered knowing that, then, IMO, that's on you.

Alternatively, you could have held off, contacted their customer service group and asked for clarification and/or a waiver so both would be shipped at no cost, and only ordered if they agreed/confirmed that both would ship for free.

That said, give it a whack and see what their customer service department might do. Worth a shot - a well-run company will bend over backwards to keep customers happy.

Posts: 15031 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I always call a company and ask what their policy is regarding backorders and shipping. Some, like Brownells, will ship in stock items and then ship the backordered item(s) when available for no shipping fee. Others, like Midway USA, will charge a shipping for the backordered items while there are some who will hold the entire order until they have the everything in stock.

Making a call and knowing what to expect goes a long way in avoiding frustration.

A man should acknowledge his losses just as gracefully as he celebrates his victories

Remember, in politics it's not who you know...it's what you know about who you know

Posts: 812 | Location: CA | Registered: February 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thank you for your email regarding your recent order. I am very sorry for the confusion regarding the free shipping. Unfortunately the free shipping does only apply to the in-stock items, I apologize. However, your feedback is very important to us and I have documented it for review. I apologize sincerely for the inconveniences.

Thanks for Your Business

Ehh. Doesn't hurt to ask, right?

Agree with Voshterkoff, ask them to hold the shipment if you don't need it asap, or cancel the extra item and look for it elsewhere.

Posts: 23457 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by joel9507:
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:
The in-stock items would ship immediately*, and the delayed item would ship with a $5.49 shipping fee.

If that was shown before you pressed the order button, and you went ahead and ordered knowing that, then, IMO, that's on you.

I'm not saying there wasn't anything at all saying that the free shipping offer extended only to in-stock items. I simply didn't see it, and that's probably on me.

quote:
Alternatively, you could have held off,

Another good point. I probably should have waited until today to place the order.
(However, I just looked and that item's status is now "overdue.")

quote:
a well-run company will bend over backwards to keep customers happy.

Indeed. Truth is, this won't hurt my relationship with the company at all... I'm not uptight about it, and I'll still buy from them. I'm not harmed at all by the delay or the charge, things simply could have been more clear ahead of time.

Maybe I simply missed it. (shrug)

God bless America.

His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
no, i would have called and asked for the shipping to be free or to talk to a supervisor.

It said "Free shipping for orders over $40." You placed an order over $40. It wasn't your problem, they didn't have it in stock. Because they have a problem with their inventory as in not having to ship then it becomes your problem?

I would call again if I were you. Make the request based on the reason above. If they resist, I'd point out it was your first time ordering for them and you placed over $150 and that your a loyal customer once a company has earned your business.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19664 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Im a little confused.When did you find out the item was backordered - before or after you hit the buy button? Im with Rey HRH.

I'm alright it's the rest of the world that's all screwed up!

Posts: 1366 | Location: Southern Michigan | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post