SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Getting your shift together - Manual Transmissions still on the market
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Getting your shift together - Manual Transmissions still on the market Login/Join 
Power is nothing
without control
posted Hide Post
The problem I am running into is that I don’t want a sports car at the moment, but would still like a manual transmission. That seems to be a vanishingly small market these days. My current car is a no-frills Mazda CX-5 with a stick, but that model isn’t made with a stick anymore. If I wanted a stick shift in just a regular car or SUV, and wanted it to be brand new, there is t much out there. There are a couple off-road focused models of the new Bronco and I think the Jeep Wrangler. Mazda will stell you a Mazda 3 with a stick in some models. As far as I can tell, Chevy, Toyota, and Honda don’t have any non-sports cars with a stick. I think Subaru only offers one in the WRX. I don’t know if Hyundai or Kia have anything to offer. I think ze Germans might still have a couple, but even they are mostly offering a true manual only in their sports cars.

I did a search on one of the car selling websites for new manuals within 25mi of my zip a few days ago. The only new cars that came up with an actual manual transmission, other than sports cars, were Mazda 3’s.

- Bret

Posts: 2466 | Location: OH | Registered: March 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
I did a search on one of the car selling websites for new manuals within 25mi of my zip a few days ago. The only new cars that came up with an actual manual transmission, other than sports cars, were Mazda 3’s.

Part of that is lack of inventory of anything to sell, Dealers don't have a lot of new vehicles on the lots these days, used vehicles sell out fast.

Posts: 23457 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
The lack of new models with stick shifts probably explains the fact that I get notes placed on my window and people knocking on my front door at least once a month trying to buy my 2000 Ford Ranger XLT with a 5 speed manual.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sadlerbw:
The problem I am running into is that I don’t want a sports car at the moment, but would still like a manual transmission. That seems to be a vanishingly small market these days. My current car is a no-frills Mazda CX-5 with a stick, but that model isn’t made with a stick anymore. If I wanted a stick shift in just a regular car or SUV, and wanted it to be brand new, there is t much out there. There are a couple off-road focused models of the new Bronco and I think the Jeep Wrangler. Mazda will stell you a Mazda 3 with a stick in some models. As far as I can tell, Chevy, Toyota, and Honda don’t have any non-sports cars with a stick. I think Subaru only offers one in the WRX. I don’t know if Hyundai or Kia have anything to offer. I think ze Germans might still have a couple, but even they are mostly offering a true manual only in their sports cars.

- Bret

As others have said looks like inventory is the biggest issue right now. A brief look at the Subaru website shows the Impreza and Crosstrek can still be had with a manual. You may have to expand your search much further than 25 miles to find anything though.

Mongo only pawn in game of life...

Posts: 683 | Location: DFW | Registered: August 15, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
When I bought my 2013 Scion FR-S I had no choice manual was all they had in stock at the time and I was alright with that. The car was hard to get when they first came out and the automatics went first because most people did not know how to drive a stick, the stick shift cars sat on the lot a little longer.
My father once told me "sports cars should be manual transmissions"

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2572 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
A little intel on the Supra with Manual trans, back in 86 I bought a Supra, White with Red leather, drove it from KY to NorCal while I lived there, then back a few years later.

Shift Link

Posts: 23457 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
I don't know if it's at all possible, but I'd love to have a new Infiniti Q50 Red Sport 400 and swap the new Z-car's manual transmission into it. Cool

God bless America.

Posts: 13503 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
I REALLY like that 2023 Corolla GR! They did a better job with that than they did with the “Supra”.

From what I've read, it's a bit smaller than the Golf R or Civic Type R; so, roomy it is not.

Personally, I'd put my $$ into an ND2 Miata if I were after a new car with a nice manual without getting into higher-end German sports cars.
In which case, I'd go for a Cayman or Boxster (used, obviously).

Dude are you me?

I LOVE my ND2. Just washed it today for an autocross this saturday. Goodbye dirt, hello cone scuffs!

I have my eyes on a Cayman next, or something bonkers, like an exocet or formula car for these events.

BMW still offers the M3(if you can wait a year for one) with RWD and manual. It's a legitimate supercar that also happens to be useful as a DD.

I like zee Bimmers too, ja...

Posts: 5144 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DoctorSolo:
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
From what I've read, it's a bit smaller than the Golf R or Civic Type R; so, roomy it is not.

Personally, I'd put my $$ into an ND2 Miata if I were after a new car with a nice manual without getting into higher-end German sports cars.
In which case, I'd go for a Cayman or Boxster (used, obviously).

Dude are you me?

I LOVE my ND2. Just washed it today for an autocross this saturday. Goodbye dirt, hello cone scuffs!

I have my eyes on a Cayman next, or something bonkers, like an exocet or formula car for these events.

BMW still offers the M3(if you can wait a year for one) with RWD and manual. It's a legitimate supercar that also happens to be useful as a DD.

I like zee Bimmers too, ja...

Big Grin
I came really close to buying an ND1 when they first came out.
Long been a Miata fan & have driven many from all generations, but never owned one.

The new toy is/will be Mazda powered, but by 9k RPM Doritos.

Would still love an ND2 for a DD, but the new house has no garage & I'd not want to park a soft top outside.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15328 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post