SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Getting your shift together - Manual Transmissions still on the market
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Getting your shift together - Manual Transmissions still on the market Login/Join 
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted
We have quite a few discussions on the death of the manual transmission with the advent of the newer e-shifting 10 speed automatics.

Recently saw advertising where Toyota is putting a 6 speed back in the BMW Supra, so that should make a few people happy.

This weekend MotorTrend TV did a bit on the Subaru BRZ which still has a manual option.

Did a little google fu and this C&D article lists new cars you can still get with a manual gearbox. Now you know so you can put your money where your shift is...

Shift List

Posts: 23457 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
I'm considering one of these maybe.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20824 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Mine is in pieces in the garage.
Then I have access to the motorcycles in my father-in-law's garage.

The new GR Corolla looks like a hoot.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15328 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greymann
posted Hide Post
My grandson #1 just recently bought a Honda Civic Si because it was 6 speed manual. He hated the auto trans in his last Civic.

Posts: 1559 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: March 21, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned for
showing his ass
posted Hide Post
Reason still hanging onto my little 1990 Toyota Corolla SR5 5-speed coupe with only 83,000 miles ... just so I can feel like a kid again.

Posts: 3190 | Location: PNW | Registered: November 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old dino:
Reason still hanging onto my little 1990 Toyota Corolla SR5 5-speed coupe with only 83,000 miles ... just so I can feel like a kid again.

If it was just a couple years older (AE86, RWD), it'd be worth quite a bit in good condition.

Posts: 15328 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
Personally I’d like to see more trucks and SUVs with manual transmission options. As much as I like some of the little sports cars they aren’t practical for me.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15255 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had to special order my Tacoma with a 6 speed manual. Whenever I meet other taco guys randomly in parking lots or wherever and discuss our trucks, they are a bit jealous.

I’d like to get a muscle car or corvette with a manual

Posts: 4769 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pale Horse:
Personally I’d like to see more trucks and SUVs with manual transmission options. As much as I like some of the little sports cars they aren’t practical for me.

SUV's with Sticks

Only 4 listed

Trucks with Manual Trans

Two listed Taco and Gladiator

Posts: 23457 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
quote:

SUV's with Sticks

Only 4 listed

Trucks with Manual Trans

Two listed Taco and Gladiator

Yeah I know there are a couple, but last I looked it’s even more limited within the line. I have not looked recently but originally Ford was only offering a few packages with the manual transmission.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15255 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I REALLY like that 2023 Corolla GR! They did a better job with that than they did with the “Supra”.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21108 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This one has peaked my interest....2023 Toyota Supra

https://www.motortrend.com/new...transmission-option/

I'm looking forward to this one....we shall see....

Posts: 585 | Location: Helena, AL | Registered: July 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
I REALLY like that 2023 Corolla GR! They did a better job with that than they did with the “Supra”.

From what I've read, it's a bit smaller than the Golf R or Civic Type R; so, roomy it is not.

Personally, I'd put my $$ into an ND2 Miata if I were after a new car with a nice manual without getting into higher-end German sports cars.
In which case, I'd go for a Cayman or Boxster (used, obviously).

Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
quote:

I would too. I tried to order a 4x4 Tacoma Access Cab SR5 or Off Road with a manual but for the US they only offer the stick in a Double Cab Short Bed Off Road. A 4X4 Access Cab Long Bed, 6-speed is only available in the "Sport" which has stuff I wouldn't want such as 18" wheels, no locker, and a fake hood scoop. Ironically Toyota makes a TRD Off Road Access Cab, 6-speeds in San Antonio but won't sell them in the US, they go to Canada.

The thing you may find when shopping for manual transmission cars is some might offer one but maybe only in a base model. I think I ran into this when looking at Mazda and Hyundai. Or only a "sport" model with low profile tires and a low, close ratio transmission. (Civic).

So far I'm completely pleased with my Corolla Hatchback SE.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7098 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned for
showing his ass
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
quote:
Originally posted by old dino:

If it was just a couple years older (AE86, RWD), it'd be worth quite a bit in good condition.

Yeah, exactly ! But being a 5-speed with front wheel drive it is still a hoot to drive, and corners nicely.

Posts: 3190 | Location: PNW | Registered: November 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
I didn't see the Civic Type R on the list, even though the Civic Si is on there.

The current auto market is gonna make me keep my 2012 Si longer than I had intended, but I may well replace it with another Si or a Type R.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My Challenger has paddle shifters. Its scratches the manual shift itch. The more I use them, the more I like them.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16094 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spiritually Imperfect
Picture of VictimNoMore
posted Hide Post
Put 470 miles on my ‘19 VW GTI with the 6-speed MT yesterday.
And loved every shift.

Posts: 3805 | Location: WV | Registered: January 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
My Challenger has paddle shifters. Its scratches the manual shift itch. The more I use them, the more I like them.

If there isn't a third petal, I'd never be satisfied.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30410 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Also not on the list. You can get a auto or 6-speed manual.

Gawd I want one in a manual Big Grin !!!!

Posts: 779 | Location: Colorado | Registered: October 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post