SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    We lost an Icon of America 40 years ago yesterday.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

We lost an Icon of America 40 years ago yesterday. Login/Join 
posted
https://www.latimes.com/local/...-19790612-story.html

I meant to post this yesterday, but things got hectic around here. I can't take credit for finding this as my brother sent this link to me. We are both huge John Wayne fans.
June of 1979 was a very depressing month for me. Shortly after my high school graduation my girlfriend broke up with me, then a few days later The Duke succumbs to cancer. I eventually got over my old girlfriend. However, I still get tears in my eyes when watching many of John Wayne's films. I miss his unabashed love for this country that he lived in his characters on film as well in his off screen life. Boy do we need John Wayne in the movies today!
The best Vacation I've ever had was a "John Wayne Vacation" that my brother and I took in April of 2016. We spent a week in the Monument Valley area of Arizona and Utah and in the Ouray/Rigeway area of Colorado. Retracing the steps that the Duke took in movies like The Searchers, She Wore A Yellow Ribbon, Fort Apache, Stagecoach, and True Grit gave us quite a thrill.
The article is quite long, but well worth the read if you're a fan of The Duke. If this should be in The Lair section instead, a moderator can move it.

Posts: 375 | Location: The Dark And Bloody Ground | Registered: July 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
it's a shame old John Wayne didn't live to run for president.

ETA: (although I'm fine with the guy who's president now)

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10927 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
First response = politics.

Great job

Posts: 107611 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
John Wayne died of stomach cancer when he was 72.
My father died of stomach cancer when he was 71.

Two great men taken about the same age by the same malady.

RIP Mr Wayne, you were one of the greats.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8220 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
First response = politics.

Great job

oops. my bad. It was my poor attempt at being clever. Those words appear in a Charlie Daniels song where the singer reminisces about "old John Wayne."

Trying to be clever, but it indeed fell flat on its face.

from the article:
quote:
As recently as the mid-1970s, U.S. Marine Corps recruiters in Cleveland, for example, reported that enlistments still jumped noticeably each time the Wayne film, "Sands of Iwo Jima," appeared on television.

yup, doesn't surprise me one bit.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10927 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Marion Robert Morrison. Funny I thought his real name world of been a good screen name too.

I liked The Duke!

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19190 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
Watched Sands of Iwo Jima (1949) last week. Wayne sure played the part. A lot has been written about that movie, for the trivia-minded.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I named my son after his character in the "Searchers". It is one of my favorites.

Make it count

Posts: 1413 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: November 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Low Speed, High Drag
Picture of navyshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by alreadydead:
I named my son after his character in the "Searchers". It is one of my favorites.

One Sunday a month the local Movie Theater shows a Classic movie. This month was The Godfather, in August its The Searchers. We've already got our tickets.

The Duke is one of my favorites

"Blessed is he who when facing his own demise, thinks only of his front sight.”

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem

Montani Semper Liberi

Posts: 10355 | Location: Santa Rosa County | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Duke was born in Winterset IA, about three hours west of me. Uh...no, I still have not visited the site.

http://www.johnwaynebirthplace.museum/

Posts: 15908 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
Hopefully you didn't visit where they filmed the Ghengis Khan movie.

A shame that he died too young.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5646 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
:^)
Picture of BillyBonesNY
posted Hide Post
John Wayne succumbed to cancer the way that many who were on the set of “The Conqueror” did.

Location shoot was near Yucca Flats, radiation from nuclear testing was apparently an issue... when the moved to a back lot in Hollywood, they trucked a large haule of sand from the area so that it would match the location color... unfortunately, it was also contaminated.

When many of the animals on the set fell ill, it was a harbinger of the illnesses that ensued.

https://www.theguardian.com/fi...hollywood-john-wayne

----------------------------------------
http://lonesurvivorfoundation.org

Posts: 7179 | Registered: March 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
I was in Eagar, Arizona when the news reached me.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29703 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by alreadydead:

You share that trait with the Duke himself. He thought so highly of that movie and the roll of Ethan Edwards that he portrayed in it, that he named his youngest son Ethan as well.

Posts: 375 | Location: The Dark And Bloody Ground | Registered: July 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Yellow Jacket
posted Hide Post
As my pastor often says, "We need more John Waynes in an Elton John world!"

God's mercy: NOT getting what we deserve!
God's grace: Getting what we DON'T deserve!

"If the enemy is in range, so are you." - Infantry Journal

Bob
P239 40 S&W
Endowment NRA
Viet Nam '69-'70

Posts: 1099 | Location: Fayette County, GA | Registered: April 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Yellow Jacket:

I don’t know what one has to do with the other.

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bob at the Beach
posted Hide Post
I can’t think of a movie I didn’t enjoy seeing. The Searchers was one of favorites. I remember the “the big C” interview. In all these years after his death you never see any bad about him. It seemed like he lived his life as you saw him, an honest straight shooter. RIP Duke

Posts: 1473 | Location: Boardwalk, Va Beach | Registered: March 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
quote:

Roll Eyes

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19190 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BillyBonesNY:
John Wayne succumbed to cancer the way that many who were on the set of “The Conqueror” did.

Location shoot was near Yucca Flats, radiation from nuclear testing was apparently an issue... when the moved to a back lot in Hollywood, they trucked a large haule of sand from the area so that it would match the location color... unfortunately, it was also contaminated.

When many of the animals on the set fell ill, it was a harbinger of the illnesses that ensued.

https://www.theguardian.com/fi...hollywood-john-wayne

I read a book entitled "The Day They Bombed Utah" that described the atomic tests that were done in the area and the massive amounts of radiation that was released. I believe all 4 stars of "The Conqueror" died of cancer as a likely effect of exposure. During these tests, abnormally high radiation was detected into NE Canada according to the book.

During the time of these atomic tests, my in-laws lived in this area. My Mother in Law died a horrible death from cancer at 48. She wasn't a smoker or drinker......just a breather.

Coincidence?

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4224 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
quote:

Roll Eyes

One made iconic war movies and westerns the other is an iconic singer/musician. Apples and oranges. I wouldn’t expect the Duke to entertain me with a song and I wouldn’t expect Elton John to make a western.

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post