SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Is it difficult to learn to drive a snowplow well?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is it difficult to learn to drive a snowplow well? Login/Join 
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
fella from the town
Does this mean that he is employeed by the town/city. If so, he's racking up OT and knows exactly what he is doing.

I grew up in the Upper Midwest. If it was a slow winter (i.e. storms few and far between), the city plow guys would plow neighborhoods like it was an interstate freeway. There would be sparks flying off the blades.

The biggest scam ever was some genius decided to have the city plow guys be responsible for replacing every broken mailbox in the spring. Lo and behold, they set a record for broken mailboxes and got a shitload of OT in the spring to fix them. They were driving so fast through our 25 mph neighborhood that snow was nearly reaching the front door. Roll Eyes

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23297 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
quote:
fella from the town

Does this mean that he is employed by the town/city. If so, he's racking up OT and knows exactly what he is doing.

Ehh, the truck had a town logo on the door... Wink

I did get a pretty good laugh when the second truck showed up on my street, a few minutes after my original post, pushing the "snow debris" around.

God bless America.

Posts: 13512 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I grew up in Nebraska and we had darn good plow drivers. When I lived on the Western Slope (Colo.) I had a snow removal/plow business with quite a few Resort/Condo Associations and when, not if, one of my guys was too slow or did a less than stellar job he got to do it again on my equipment and his free labor. I learned my 1st year to do that and weeded out the bums toot-sweet. 8 years later I sold the business and helped the guy who bought it to get ALL the Contracts re-negotiated since my Contracts were for 2 years at a time. He was one of my best guys and was wise with his $.

Posts: 368 | Registered: January 07, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
I have a plow on my UTV. Plowing is easy, it's knowing where to push the snow so you'll have room for the next blizzard that's hard. I can do my whole yard and 100 yard driveway in about an hour now. It took a lot longer than that the first few times though.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Pyker,

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fonky Honky
Picture of wildheartedson0105
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 229DAK:
Milking out his time to up his pay for whomever is paying him.

We have (private) guys under contract by the county to plow the side streets here. They drive up and down my home many times. After two passes each way, it's clear, but they keep coming. Just milking the county for more taxpayer $$.

Don't get me started on the stupid fools who leave their cars out on the road even though there is room in their driveways to put them during snowstorms.

Watched one of these morons run up and down the side street tonight for a couple hours.

During a 'snow emergency' (Really? This is WI) we have to park on either the even, or odd numbered side of the street. This idiot comes up one way with the blade angled correct, then comes back and plows the cars in. Then does bizarre combinations. Went out and shoveled my car out tonight, rather than tomorrow. Roll Eyes Mad

Don't back up, don't back down.

Posts: 3413 | Location: Badger, Badger, Badger! | Registered: October 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
You know, this is a funny question. I"m not sure anyone has ever even done it (plowed well). Some are significantly worse than others. I've only called to complain once in the last 43 years. The jerk (the nice term for him) managed to give me a berm 3' high out front. So when I called the city to bitch, the supervisor said he had to put it some place. I thought I was reasonable, I said anyplace besides in front of my drive. He somehow managed to not plow in the side road, but he gave me their snow. He came back and made it worse. I went out front and gave the roadway my excess snow, the stuff he left for me.

So out comes a cop to tell me not to do it. I said no problem, it wasn't my snow to begin with. Even he agreed the driver left me with the city's snow from the side road. I considered punching a hole in his engine block with some AP rounds, just for fun. Plow drivers don't understand that the public hates them, or the bad ones at least.

Oh, the 3' berm was ice. I still don't understand why he's allowed to plow in driveways. I didn't want him fired, I want him killed in public. Yeah, it would be hard for him to do a good job. That's why he's overpaid. Even making minimum wage. And I'm sure he's not. If I knew where he lived, I'd get my neighbors together and go to his house, hand shoveling him a 3' berm he'd have to move. But then he's tired from doing that with a truck all day to others.

But then global warming says we won't be getting snow soon.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18389 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Leeann:
quote:
Originally posted by WaterburyBob:
It must be. Our street is at least 25 feet wide and quite often they'll plow a single lane down the middle of it.
When I call the mayor's office to complain they send someone that knows how to plow.

In Waterbury? They're putting newbies on your street.

I grew up in Simsbury and we never had anyone that stupid plow our street. My brother still lives in town and they still have smarter plow drivers.

Simsbury plow drivers are town DPW employees, not hourly or contract. Just watched them go down my street (West Simsbury, near Flamig Farm). One pass each way. They'll come back by when the storm is over and clean it up to the curb...

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
The trick is not hitting stuff buried in the snow that you can't see, like curbs, parking lot islands, improperly constructed manholes, fire hydrants, etc. We have pretty good plow drivers around here. They get stuff done. I woke up on Sunday and the road was already plowed clear of the 6-8" we got overnight. Sure there was a berm at the end of my driveway, but you can't realistically expect them to avoid doing that. The snow DOES have to go somewhere, and if they stopped and backed up and plowed out the end of every driveway they passed, the roads would never get plowed. I figure I'd rather spend 20 minutes dealing with 3' of snow at the end of my drive than hours trying to navigate snow covered roads because all the plow drivers are tied up clearing driveways.

Posts: 8607 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
Ya need this cool jacket:

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16120 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Sierras got its atmospheric river of a storm, 6' in 24hrs, nearly 8' total in three days, plunging a number of communities without power or, cell service; lots and lots of downed trees pulling down house cables and snapping power poles. The full-time locals know they've got to get their driveways cleared before the Sierra Cement sets-in and hardens the plow berms.
I was just up at my parents place where they've been without power since Wednesday..if it wasn't for the plows, good or, otherwise, the entire place would've been paralyzed. Luckily everyone bought generators over the last 5-years, which meant the gas stations were a zoo.
A number of contractors have wised-up and worked in tandem, putting rotary blowers on their Bobcats to get through the heavy stuff and their buddy with a plow attachment on their pick-up to help clean-up afterwards.

Posts: 14664 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by feersum dreadnaught:
quote:
Originally posted by Leeann:
quote:
Originally posted by WaterburyBob:
It must be. Our street is at least 25 feet wide and quite often they'll plow a single lane down the middle of it.
When I call the mayor's office to complain they send someone that knows how to plow.

In Waterbury? They're putting newbies on your street.

I grew up in Simsbury and we never had anyone that stupid plow our street. My brother still lives in town and they still have smarter plow drivers.

Simsbury plow drivers are town DPW employees, not hourly or contract. Just watched them go down my street (West Simsbury, near Flamig Farm). One pass each way. They'll come back by when the storm is over and clean it up to the curb...

I’m from West Simsbury, but I grew up over by Town Forest. Our street, small, was always the last road they plowed. My brother lives just a little down West Mountain from you.

Sig P226 .40 S&W
Sig SP2022 9mm
RIA 1911 Gov't .45
...and more

Posts: 719 | Location: Maryland | Registered: April 30, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
To plow well actually takes one season, as far as on the road plowing is concerned.I plowed one year in Marquette, MI., where Yooper sig lives, in a prior life. After forty plus years I plowed for the county I live in now. Only took two or three outings to get it back but I've run equipment most of my life. To plow with a smaller truck is a whole different ballgame. Some people never learn but if it's their own truck who cares. When I first moved to Grayling I considered plowing but I made more money rebuilding transmissions from plow jockey's trucks.

Jim

Posts: 1341 | Location: Northern Michigan | Registered: September 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post