SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Who out there will have black eyed peas today?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who out there will have black eyed peas today? Login/Join 
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted
For those who don't know, it is supposed to bring good luck for the coming year.

Question:
Will there be black eyed peas at your table today?

Choices:
Yes, I didn't do it last year and look at 2020.
Probably, but I think superstition is silly.
Maybe, but I don't care for superstitions.
Hell no, I hate them.

Posts: 7266 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Internet Guru
posted Hide Post
You should add a 'No, I did it last year and look at 2020'.

Posts: 1972 | Registered: April 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes and I did it last year.
Pork roast, sauerkraut and good kielbasa every year for New Years Day.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
We don't typically do Black Eye Peas, and didn't do any last year, but 2020 happened, sooo why not!

May the odds be ever in your favor....Black Eyed Pea Chili in the Crockpot it is! Wink

https://www.ayearofslowcooking...-in-slow-cooker.html

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8910 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Those pics of black eyed peas and with ham look really good - i wish i were having some of that. As beans go, i’m only having red beans (azuki / zenzai) and black beans (kuromame).

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12732 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
Every year, for the past 20, Wifey makes a bow tie pasta dish which has spinach (green folding money), black-eyed peas (coins), chopped onion, minced garlic, dash of crushed red pepper, simmered in chicken broth, and topped with shredded parmigiana cheese.

Later, I’ll make a pork loin slow cooked in sauerkraut, with onion and sliced Granny Smith apple.

Around Mardi Gras time, Hoppin’ John with sliced andouille sausage.

Just trying to cover all the bases.

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2701 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
We don't have any superstitions about New Years, food based or otherwise.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16524 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WaterburyBob:

Neither do I, but it’s still a good use for that hambone from Christmas dinner.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17280 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Black eyed peas, collard greens, mashed potatoes, and a boiled country ham here today. Probably one of my favorite meals ever.

Posts: 103 | Registered: June 03, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WaterburyBob:

I'm not superstitious either, but it's bad luck if you don't eat black eyed peas. Wink

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30694 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not easy being me
posted Hide Post
I eat them every year on New Years.
Always have for as long as I can remember.

Posts: 2769 | Location: Middle TN | Registered: March 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
None of the poll answers fit my reasons. I do it every year for tradition, not luck. I make them the same way my mom has made them since I was a child. I enjoy the process and love the result.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
-other

Yes, every year. Smile

Posts: 11362 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Whack-Job
Whisperer
Picture of 18DAI
posted Hide Post
I'm making them for the wife. Along with those greens and a roast pork tenderloin. But I'm from New York. So I don't eat that.....stuff. Wink

And I think the superstition is silly too. Happy New Year, to all! Regards 18DAI

7+1 Rounds of hope and change

Posts: 4231 | Registered: August 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Maybe.....not sure just yet.

Posts: 6624 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
Black-eyed peas/ cabbage with corned beef/ smothered okra and tomatoes / and to top it off some old style "nanner" pudding with "nilla" wafers. Even had two trips to the stove. ............................... drill sgt.

Posts: 2013 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
YOubetcha!

Black Eye Peas soaked overnight
Into Crockpot with Veggie broth,
Tomatoes, green chilis, season, cook
all day. Some call it Hoppin'John.

Tonight I'll heat up some left over ham
make some rice and top it with the ham
BEP's and Chuluota Hot Sauce!

Posts: 23481 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We cheat and have ham and beans with some extra black eyed peas thrown in! Also had fried potatoes and onions plus greens.

Nick
nick_mur

Posts: 98 | Location: Peoria IL | Registered: December 17, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
parati et volentes
Picture of houndawg
posted Hide Post
Just ate some Hoppin' John that my wife made.

Posts: 8274 | Location: Illinois, Occupied America | Registered: February 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, I did only because Publix had 'em on sale buy one get one. Never ate them as a kid, though they always were served many times, including New Year's Day in the Army (ate them then, of course), and haven't had them in prolly forty years.

Passed thru Publix looking for a pie last evening, saw these and bought the pie and BE Peas.

Bob

Posts: 1575 | Location: TampaBay | Registered: May 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post