SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I Saw Something Today Not Seen in ~20 Years
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I Saw Something Today Not Seen in ~20 Years Login/Join 
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted
I have followed a routine upon arising for more than 40 years. I get out of bed, drag myself to the bathroom to take a leak. Then I wash my face, brush teeth and step on the scales, in no particular order. I am always wearing only skivvies at that point.

Today, for the first time in around 20 years, the first digit was a 1. Not a 2.

I’ve been losing weight this spring, about 20 lbs. so far. I had gained about 10 lbs last year. I’m not dieting particularly. My appetite has evaporated, likely as a result of growing inactivity.

Since college graduation, 50 years ago, my weight has varied from 112 to 270.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Congratulations. Keep it up, and you will be able to count to 21 again!

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12798 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Congrats! Re: “in no particular order”. I always pee before stepping on the scale. Smile

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9007 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
Congrats! Re: “in no particular order”. I always pee before stepping on the scale. Smile

Read it again, please. I deliberately put these activities in separate sentences. “No particular order” applies to the activities in that sentence beginning with “Then...”.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
And say my glory was
I had such friends.
Picture of Hunthelp
posted Hide Post
Congrats on the weight loss.
I’m down 16 pounds for the year.
Unfortunately, I need to drop about twice that and hope to do that by the end of the year.

"I don't shoot well, but I shoot often." - Pres. T. Roosevelt

Posts: 1941 | Location: Chandler, AZ | Registered: June 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
112 lbs after college, holy smokes.

Posts: 3933 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
You weighed 112 in college?!? Are you, like, 4'10"?

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18027 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1s1k:
112 lbs after college, holy smokes.

I weighed 127 at graduation, went on active duty in the Navy, bulked up to a roly-poly 134, then had a stay at Balboa Navy Hospital for surgery with a collapsed lung. When I was released, I tipped the scales at 112.

Funny story, and true. The crew of the USS Pueblo was just back, and at the Amphib Base, and someone had the idea to have a flag football game between the crew and my command. It received national media coverage. I had just been released from hospital on rehab leave. When I showed up in uniform to watch, several reporters made a bee line to me and started asking all sorts of questions. They thought I was just back from being beaten and starved in NoKo.

I was then an Ensign, so could not have possibly been in NoKo and on the crew. I was starved at the hospital!

Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
You return to the "svelte as a leopard" category.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31485 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Just be happy that you pee AFTER you get out of bed....

Posts: 23590 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Take a leak then weigh is my routine.

Not doing to great down 8 lbs in last month.

Posts: 923 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No Compromise
posted Hide Post
Congrats on the sub-200s! Whatever you are doing seems to be working.

I'm down 35 Ibs. in the last six months. I too have broken the big 200.

We should start a club, or something.

H&K-Guy

Posts: 3720 | Registered: April 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
JAllen,
Yeah, my class reunion is this summer, was debating on going or not.
Not many people would recognize me.
I weighed a little over 100 when I graduated and was maybe the shortest boy in my class.

Now, I am 6'1 175.

I did bulk up to 195, when my thyroid first went haywire.
Nothing wrong with shedding a few needless lbs.
You will look good in those bikini trunks at the beach.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
That is great news.

I am trying, myself. Last saw 1xx #s in 2009 I believe.

I was at 204 this morning. 202 Friday. Ate pretty good yesterday for Father's Day.

I wrestled 145lbs in high school. Three years ago I was at 234.6 pounds.

My goal is to hit 180lbs this summer, and to never ever get over 185 again. Preferably lighter.

I'm happy to know I will be in good company!

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11451 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Let's see, I calculate you to be about 72, you're losing weight without dieting and you've lost your appetite. I'd suggest you run this one by your primary care doc, just to be on the safe side.

Posts: 2560 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
Congrats. On the other hand, I'm with NK402 in terms of monitoring your weight and your appetite.

I need you to be posting articles for a long while for me to read.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19721 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aquabird:
JAllen,
Yeah, my class reunion is this summer, was debating on going or not.
Not many people would recognize me.
I weighed a little over 100 when I graduated and was maybe the shortest boy in my class.

Now, I am 6'1 175.

I did bulk up to 195, when my thyroid first went haywire.
Nothing wrong with shedding a few needless lbs.
You will look good in those bikini trunks at the beach.

No more beach going for me.

We had 5 or 6 scrawny guys in our class of ~230, me among them. There were two brothers in the scrawnies.

At the 45th reunion, there were two huge guys nobody recognized. We figured they were married to gals in the class. They were both 6’9” or so, over 300 lbs. It turned out they were these brothers! I recall one of them saying that when he was in the Navy he was growing 1” a month!

Go to the reunion. It will astonish you how many turned out not as dumb as they looked, and who they were!

Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
Congrats on losing weight.

I also recently went on a diet. Well, not really a diet, just counting/limiting calories.

I'm using a free app/website called myfitnesspal. You input you age, weight, goal, how active you are, and desired rate of weight loss, and it gives you a max calorie per day limit. You input what you put in your mouth, and it calculates your remaining calories for the day.

In my case, all I'm changing is the quantities of what I eat, and eliminating some sweets. Not really any special diet.

So far, so good. I've lost a few pounds in less than a week. How much of that is sweat, I don't know. Wink

I tried several other apps before deciding that this one was the best for what I want it to do.

I just ate supper and have a few hundred calories left to blow, so a couple of Natural Lights and late snack will be fine!

Posts: 4015 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NK402:
Let's see, I calculate you to be about 72, you're losing weight without dieting and you've lost your appetite. I'd suggest you run this one by your primary care doc, just to be on the safe side.

They will tell me there is no safe side. I am in the last stages of pulmonary fibrosis, with which I was diagnosed in 2011. I’m losing weight because I am losing muscle.

I’m not quite helpless yet, but will be soon. I can no longer walk from one end of the house to the other. I use a mobility scooter to anything more than the short walk to the bathroom. I’m going to meet another forumite for lunch tomorrow, my first venture out of the house in nearly two weeks. This is how I have so much time to read and post here, for awhile longer anyway.

I thought I would be gone by now, to tell you the truth. Fortunately, I am an inordinately skilled, experienced and devout procrastinator.

in the end karma
always catches up
posted Hide Post
We tried to hook up when you still lived SD. I regret that we never had the chance to meet. I feel that you would added to my list of memorable characters I have met. I am hoping to make it to TX in the fall maybe then?

Ed

" The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State" Art 1 Sec 32 Indiana State Constitution

YAT-YAS

Posts: 3697 | Location: Northwest, In | Registered: December 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post