SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Can't beleive the new job application questions.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Can't beleive the new job application questions. Login/Join 
posted
I am a consultant in computer security and Risk.

I just applied to a medium sized company with around 18,000 employees.

I was the most invasive questionnaire I have seen.

Added to the usual race/gender/nationality/veteran/disability

Now there is sexual orientation with a long list of choices

And a new social mobility section.

Asking about parents schooling, social status, and income levels. If they were considered blue color, managerial, professional and a few others. Also if they/you qualified for public assistance growing up.

This is just getting nuts.

Posts: 4743 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
So sorry for you loss (of privacy).
It's bad out there, if it is ever to work for yourself > DO IT!

Posts: 22909 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can simplify it. Check one box below:

Democrat
or

Republican

All I need to know.

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
I would pen in N/A.

If I didnt want the job - pen in NOYFB!

What is "social mobility"?

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4579 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I don’t think I would want to work somewhere that is that intrusive. Fuck them and fuck that kind of questionnaire. That is none of their damn business and they damned well know it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21108 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
They are actually doing you a favor by letting you know what their corporate culture is like before you've wasted any more of your time.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6404 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
Did you have to interview with the CDO (Chief Diversity Officer) ? I'm sure they have one.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16517 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I thought it was illegal to ask that stuff...? Or at least not discuss it in interviews?

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12719 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
It should be. That only opens the door for potential discrimination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21108 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a real outlier. I have been applying to many companies lately and haven't seen anything like that.

Posts: 2485 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
there is sexual orientation with a long list of choices
Check the box that says "All of the above."

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30673 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CoolRich59:
They are actually doing you a favor by letting you know what their corporate culture is like before you've wasted any more of your time.

This !

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
The gov't. is allowed to ask lots of questions no one else would be allowed to ask. Basically, anything that can be considered a protected class can be asked on a job application with the excuse that it's for gov't. compliance. A lot of that info can be used against you, obviously not admitted to by the company, but the gov't. makes it all possible. They sure do look out for us all.

Posts: 3538 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I hope you aren't so desperate for work that you would even consider applying for this job.

Posts: 27964 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Notice the questions now circle around anything and everything 'but' those skills and abilities that would contribute to how well you could accomplish the actual job. Wonder why virtually every other country in the world is kicking our ass?

I've said it before and I'll say it again, there is no bigger waste of company funding and floor space than HR departments. They're manned by liberal morons who have no clue what the company they work for actually does, nor do they have any interest in learning. If you eliminated HR departments in their entirety and simply flipped a coin or rolled some dice to select applicants you'd be no worse off while saving 10's if not 100's of thousands of dollars a year.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a presecurity type questionnaire.

Is it possible the position requires a DoD clearance, Clarence?

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
No
Fucking
Way

That's some crazy shit, even for a tech job.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
I'm sorry you're being confronted with this obscene insane crap.

Yet another reason I'm thankful for having retired 14 years ago.

If I was being asked this I'm quite certain my response would mightly offend these snowflake princes and princesses. That is if I stuck around long enough to even bother with their questionaire other that to write where they could put it before leaving.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16219 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
It should be. That only opens the door for potential discrimination.
Wait, you don't understand. Discrimination is OK if it is for the right reasons.

Posts: 6475 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd fill out the normal questions (name, address, phone, qualifications, experience, training) and leave the rest of the shit blank.
But then, you have to ask yourself, do you really want to work for a company that would ask such questions?

Posts: 10055 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post