SIGforum
Can a snake climb a brick wall? (Warning snake pic)

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/320601935/m/1980049174

July 03, 2020, 10:31 PM
1s1k
Can a snake climb a brick wall? (Warning snake pic)
I’ve been watching a pair of nesting birds feed their young for the last month or so. They built a nest on a speaker I have mounted outside on a brick wall under my soffit. Today I look out and notice mom and dad sitting on the railing looking back at their nest so I peak out the window and see all 3 of their chicks laying dead on my patio.

I had some running to do so I left for a couple hours and when I got home there was a black snake polishing off the last dead chick.

Did the snake use the guttering to scale the wall then come across the roof and then drop under the soffit onto the nest or can they scale a brick wall. Why does the snake kill the chicks and drop them out of the nest to only come down and eat them while on the patio.

July 03, 2020, 10:35 PM
kkina
Brick walls are no problem for snakes...

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."
July 04, 2020, 12:28 AM
Donothing
Yep. Snakes can climb. Some do it more than others. Black snakes are big on bird eggs.
July 04, 2020, 12:37 AM
limblessbiff
Is there anything these creepy bastards can’t do?
July 04, 2020, 12:42 AM
sigmonkey
Show you jazz hands.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sigmonkey,

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!
July 04, 2020, 02:01 AM
sns3guppy
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
Brick walls are no problem for snakes...

That's impressive.
July 04, 2020, 03:05 AM
SIGWALLY
I would of lost a bet on that one...
July 04, 2020, 05:00 AM
Blume9mm
This is the one I discovered a few years back while at work on a chimney:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?...OGk&feature=youtu.be

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"
July 04, 2020, 05:04 AM
egregore
You needed to put the link between the flash video brackets.

July 04, 2020, 07:47 AM
Ace31
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Blume9mm:
This is the one I discovered a few years back while at work on a chimney:

Bless you for that, King Snakes and Black Racers are great to have around.
July 04, 2020, 07:56 AM
SIG4EVA
Yes, the same way they climb trees.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"
July 04, 2020, 07:58 AM
RogueJSK
quote:
Originally posted by Ace31:
Bless you for that, King Snakes and Black Racers are great to have around.

Yep.

I don't mind garter snakes, black snakes, or kingsnakes. They keep the rodent population down, and some even eat other less desirable snakes. So they're good to have around.

But if it's brown and even slightly viper-ish looking, it's dead!
July 04, 2020, 08:01 AM
sdy
I have a brick house. It was only one time, but I did see a black snake crawling straight up the side of my house.
July 04, 2020, 09:33 AM
lithog
Where are you located? Here in Tennessee if you see one and wonder "how did it get up there?", it's probably a Gray Ratsnake, Pantherophis spiloides.

---------------------------
"Welcome to Tennessee, patron state of shootin' stuff." Bob Lee Swagger, THE SHOOTER
July 04, 2020, 09:43 AM
comet24
Yes. Saw a black snake on the second story brick wall of a townhouse a few years ago.

When I first saw it I did a double-take.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac
July 04, 2020, 09:51 AM
Sportshooter
You don’t come in mom’s house and mess with her parakeet.
She had hung her parakeet’s cage about eye level in the middle of a bare wall. One day, she found a snake in that cage, but no parakeet. Good snake or not, she terminated him with extreme prejudice for consuming her beloved bird.
July 04, 2020, 10:03 AM
houndawg
Chicks fall out of nests and die. Happens all the time. If the snake was involved, it probably scared them out of the nest.
July 04, 2020, 10:48 AM
1s1k
quote:
Originally posted by lithog:
Where are you located? Here in Tennessee if you see one and wonder "how did it get up there?", it's probably a Gray Ratsnake, Pantherophis spiloides.

Just outside of St.Louis. I thought it was a black snake but it did have a nice brown pattern to it when the light hit it correctly.
July 04, 2020, 02:26 PM
rduckwor
We have Gray Rat Snakes here in the South. They're great climbers and they can climb almost any vertical surface.

The worrisome thing is that copperheads are beginning to climb here as well. A guy got bitten recently when he ducked under a limb and got hit by a snake in the tree. It may have to do with their love of eating emerging cicadas.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.
July 04, 2020, 02:46 PM
TigerDore
Say "got it" when you see it.