SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Sacramento area: safe, conservative suburbs/towns?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sacramento area: safe, conservative suburbs/towns? Login/Join 
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted
Our daughter and her husband have moved to the Sacramento area. They bought a house in the Vineyard area just north of Elk Grove. Now our daughter wants our oldest granddaughter to go to a charter school in El Dorado Hills, 40 minutes away. My wife and I have been contemplating renting a house in the area to be close to the grandkids a large part of the year.

We heard from a friend of Bruce Gray's, a deputy sheriff I think in El Dorado County, about a year ago that Folsom and El Dorado Hills were--IIRC--pretty safe and conservative-voting areas.

Do any Sacto area members, particularly LEO's (yes you General Tang) have any info they can share to help us?

Posts: 18069 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
El Dorado Hills is one of the nicest areas down there IMHO. but expensive.

Folsom isn't bad. In my experience the closer you get to hiway 99 and in particular Stockton, the shitter it gets. But there are some exceptions to this.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10927 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Feel free to email me. Kyledavidzim@yahoo.com I live and work in the areas you’ve mentioned.

Posts: 418 | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of abnmacv
posted Hide Post
Never forget the area is in California.

U.S. Army 11F4P Vietnam 69-70 NRA Life Member

Posts: 1556 | Registered: June 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by abnmacv:

Most of the interior is red. Sacramento is blue, though.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I live in Placer county which is east of Sacramento. Placer used to be very conservative, but we’ve had too many Bay Area libs move in causing our county to start to lean left due to Rocklin and Roseville. The further east you get the more conservative it’ll get.

El Dorado county is a great county with strong conservative values. El dorado hills may be starting to tilt a little more left for the same reasons. El dorado hills is just east of Folsom (think Intel) and is just outside of sac county. I’d say that El Dorado county is your best for the area. Stay out of sac county. Folsom is a nice town, but subject to Sac county rules. If you go further east up 50 toward placerville you’ll be in a super conservative area complete with lots of Trump flags. Further east equals more rural and more conservative.

Posts: 270 | Location: NorCal | Registered: June 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm in Roseville in Placer county. Getting a CCW in Placer or El Dorado counties is pretty straightforward and relatively easy by CA standards.

I think I know which charter school you're thinking off. EDH is there second or third campus, with the main campus in Roseville.

Like others have said, many Bay Area blue voting knuckleheads have moved to Roseville, Rocklin, Folsom and EDH. They're conservative still, but not as much as they used to be. Any of these areas will have pricier rentals. There's a Sun City Del Webb in my neighborhood (assuming you're over 55) that may have nice clean rentals.

Like stated, I believe all of Folsom is Sac County, so beware if you're considering CCW. It's a minimum 2-day course.

P229

Posts: 3825 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
Do any Sacto area members, particularly LEO's (yes you General Tang) have any info they can share to help us?

Hello Stan

As luck would have it, I also live in the Vineyard area...for the last 20 years. The email in my profile is still valid if they need anything or have any questions

Vineyard is a great area, if you don't mind the new construction of homes going in. It's an interesting mix as there are track houses, just a couple of streets over from custom homes and you can be just down the street from houses that are still on septic tanks.

The Elk Grove School District out here is excellent, mostly because we are also the school district of the Rancho Murieta golf course community...but when a mother has her heart set on a charter school Roll Eyes

There really isn't much crime around here with the exception of catalytic converter theft from cars not parked in garages. Vineyard is in Sacramento County so our local LE falls under the Sheriff's department...which basically has a "Shall Issue" policy for CCW. I know a couple of guys who are pretty reasonable to handle these courses

I think rents for houses in the area run $2500+/month. If you're interesting in purchasing...I know a guy Wink

I'm not a huge fan of El Dorado Hills as it's a long way from everything I do...mostly the Action Pistol range I go to. Traffic getting to and from there is horrendous and eateries are a bit limited...I looked into moving up there when I was still working

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14184 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sacramento stay away from, full blue and like DC, is infested with those who've made it a career either working for or, lobbying the state government. Elk Grove is a fast growing suburb that's due South of Sacramento. It has some nice areas however there's other areas that have become 'not as nice' as other parts. Much of it around the various apartment complexes that are all around.

El Dorado Hills is the affluent area of Folsom, fairly moderate politically. Like Roseville on hwy-80, Folsom is off of hwy-50 are the two major suburbs just East of Sacramento. Intel and the prison are the big employers there and just about every major shopping and services are available so no need to go into Sacto. Above El Dorado Hills on hwy-50 is Cameron Park, which is quieter, smaller, more affordable and more conservative.

Posts: 14657 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Guys, thanks very much for the info.

Tang, we look forward to seeing you again. We'll probably be in Vineyard/Elk Grove next week and I'd like to buy you lunch and catch up.

Which Action Pistol range do you shoot at? Rancho Cordova?

Posts: 18069 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Utilities are another consideration of where to locate. In Sacramento, SMUD is the electricity. As you go up into EDH, you'll find that PG&E is the electricity provider - probably higher cost.

In Sacramento County, Folsom or Fair Oaks are likely to be the more conservative areas compared to other areas. Parts of Citrus Heights are a possibility as well - there are areas to avoid just as with other locales.

My contact information is also current.

Posts: 2773 | Location: Northern California | Registered: December 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My dad is in Roseville, and he loves it. He says it’s very conservative, lots of Trump signs around election time, they hate Newsom, etc. The police dept. is very proactive, stopping dirtbags coming from Sac and other areas. It’s in Placer county, so CCW is easy to obtain. He also mentioned the city has its own utilities, which have been very reliable, and prices are great.

Posts: 473 | Location: California | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Once you pin down potential rentals, provide a general address and we'll offer our humble opinions!

Yes, when looking for rentals, ask about utilities. PG&E residential electric rates are some of the highest in the nation. For gas, it's basically all PG&E. Look for SMUD in Sac County or Roseville Electric if you make it to Roseville.

P229

Posts: 3825 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
In Sacramento, SMUD is the electricity. As you go up into EDH, you'll find that PG&E is the electricity provider - probably higher cost.

Probably is being very kind. You have to remember that they need to pay off their fines/losess from civil suits from last years fires.

While folks were complaining about $400-$600 PG&E bills, my SMUD bill was about $100

Posts: 14184 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
Tang, we look forward to seeing you again. We'll probably be in Vineyard/Elk Grove next week and I'd like to buy you lunch and catch up.

Which Action Pistol range do you shoot at? Rancho Cordova?

Looking forward to seeing you again also.

My home range is SacValley. I also pretty regularly shoot matches at Gridley, Richmond, and ElDorado R&G

Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 9mmepiphany:
quote:
In Sacramento, SMUD is the electricity. As you go up into EDH, you'll find that PG&E is the electricity provider - probably higher cost.

Probably is being very kind. You have to remember that they need to pay off their fines/losess from civil suits from last years fires.

While folks were complaining about $400-$600 PG&E bills, my SMUD bill was about $100

Here's a view of rate comparisons by SMUD. Assumes a baseline usage of 750KWHr per month which may be more reflective of winter months. Summer months may be a different story, especially when rate tiering comes into play (different rates for different times, different rate hikes for different tiers).

https://www.smud.org/en/Rate-I...mation/Compare-rates
https://www.smud.org/en/Rate-I...on/Residential-rates

However, with solar panels, one may be indifferent to electricity rates.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12721 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
Sacramento stay away from, full blue and like DC, is infested with those who've made it a career either working for or, lobbying the state government.

It has been maybe 15 years since I've been in Sacramento. But a friend of mine, who lived in the area for over 10 years, was sick and tired of the town (and CA) and moved to Nevada.
He said the homeless situation was worse than San Francisco, the city started to turn to shit during the Obama's years.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16704 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oddball: It has been maybe 15 years since I've been in Sacramento. But a friend of mine, who lived in the area for over 10 years, was sick and tired of the town (and CA) and moved to Nevada.
He said the homeless situation was worse than San Francisco, the city started to turn to shit during the Obama's years.

Sacramento being a flat area is pretty big and spread-out, that means there's plenty of undeveloped and hidden areas for vagrants and human raccoons to gather. I would wager the encampments in Sac are a bit more...sophisticated or, elaborate, than what you could do in SF, a lot more RV's and vehicles also, something you don't see a lot of in SF.

Like other metro areas, social services by both the government and non-profits are in higher concentrations thus you're going to find all sorts of transplants from areas like Redding, Oroville, Chico, Truckee, Stockton and Modesto.

Posts: 14657 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
We lived for years in Sacramento and Davis, so we have a general acquaintance with the geography. But a lot has changed since we left Arden Park in 1987. Traffic of course has only gotten worse.

Thanks to everyone again for all the information. It's good to know we still have friends in the area. I look forward to shooting with some of you again.

Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by abnmacv:

I was going to say "Elko or Tonopah", but that wouldn't have been terribly helpful.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post