SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I Bought A Vintage Celestron Telescope At A Pawn Shop
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I Bought A Vintage Celestron Telescope At A Pawn Shop Login/Join 
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted
This makes 4 telescopes we have now. I do believe we can schedule a star gazing party at the overlook up from the Cockatoo Farm this fall.

Many years ago we would go on vacation up to The Great Smoky Mountains National Park and park the camper at Elkmont campgrounds. My father LOVED the night time programs at the amphitheater there. He always made sure to schedule our vacations around the night sky program as the park ranger would bring a telescope and all interested would drive with him up to Newfound Gap to look out at the stars. At that time in the 70's the orange Celestron C8 was the telescope to have for its power and portability and the park ranger had one. Father never went and bought himself one. He always did without to make sure the family had enough. He denied himself this one personal thing and regretted it to the day he died.

Yesterday we were pawnshopping and this was up on an upper shelf. He wanted $500 for it, but I appraise and authenticate watches for them, so I get a discount for my services. It's the same place that sold me the Rolex super cheap during the beginning of the scamdemic before the prices went stupid.

I offer $200 for it, he agrees and take the old scope home. The memories of how happy my father was when the ranger took that red telescope out of the case came flooding back.

I can't wait to get it on a stand to try it out.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34134 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
That’s awesome Marzy!

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
If the optics and adjustment controls are in good shape, you stole that! Big Grin

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16252 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
Well, at the very least the person who brought it into the pawn shop.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!

Posts: 34134 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Would
Like to see a picture of half of the moon with that
On August 20th
Thanks in advance

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54689 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
:^)
Picture of BillyBonesNY
posted Hide Post
That’s a beauty!

Love the Celestrons from that era!

----------------------------------------
http://lonesurvivorfoundation.org

Posts: 7180 | Registered: March 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
Hell of a deal on that. Looks very clean

I have $200 eyepieces Big Grin

Nice job.

Posts: 53225 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
How cool! I'd like to experience some of that kind of viewing someday.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38714 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
:^)
Picture of BillyBonesNY
posted Hide Post
Geez, a couple months ago, I fell into a great deal on a Televue Pronto 70, though it wasn’t an 85, it was set up for 2” eyepieces and came with a small assortment of those as well.

Decent for the Moon, planets and terrestrial viewing.

Working to set it up with a CCD in near future.

The Teleview took me on an unexpected detour as I was looking to possibly acquire a Cassegrain or Maksutov of some sorts.

----------------------------------------
http://lonesurvivorfoundation.org

Posts: 7180 | Registered: March 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
Nice looking 'Schmidt–Cassegrain' you've got there... Cool

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8949 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
I’d love to see a pic of your ‘too peeking through that. Smile

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5342 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ducatista
Picture of rainman64
posted Hide Post
That looks exactly like one I bought on eBay 4 years ago.

Nice grab!

Posts: 5029 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: April 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Is that an 8 inch? It looks bigger.

Posts: 18089 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
Is that an 8 inch? It looks bigger.

Yeah, it's a C8. You should see it beside my brother's Meade 11". Makes it look like a toy.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!

posted Hide Post
Congrats - I have a newer C6SE. Cats are great all around scopes

FYI - The Baader Hyperion 8-24mm Zoom works great in this scope.

Posts: 268 | Registered: September 12, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very cool. Don't forget the total solar eclipse in April 2023. That scope should take spectacular pics of that.

Light bender eye mender

Posts: 413 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: July 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
Holy crap at your luck! I’ve wanted a 8” SCT forever. To find one for that price is lottery luck. I’m envious.

Posts: 6018 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Those are handy little scopes. Nice.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post