SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Legalities of Giving my Child a Gun Across State Lines?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Legalities of Giving my Child a Gun Across State Lines? Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
All nice and legal. Yep.

Posts: 107576 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
The reality here is that over 90% of these "of these transfers" take place just by handing the gun to the offspring. I doubt if it ever or only rarely results in a problem of any kind. Just an example of government sticking its nose where it doesn't belong. You can make up a story of giving it to them long ago when they lived at home and were of age. Mostly no one cares, except busy bodies sticking their nose where it doesn't belong. In the better states, those with good laws, its all perfectly legal.

If anyone asks what proof you have, you don't need any. They're the ones who need proof, and they don't have any witness'. If anyone asks, just clam up. Tell them to mind their own business. Someone, like here on the forum, should make a list of the better states where no proof is required. I can't imagine going to a gun store to give my son a gun. Around here, you'd get laughed out of the shop.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18388 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ogie:
I'm confused. Why not just sell it to her for whatever you want, $5.00, and send it from your FFL to her FFL. End of problem.
If one wants to give guns to someone living in another state they can do that, using an FFL in the recipient’s state to affect the transfer. There is no need to “sell” them the gun for any price to have the FFL transfer it to them.

If the FFL in the recipient’s state accepts firearms from shipped from private parties, you don’t need an FFL on your end. However, with the carrier tariffs requiring next day air for handguns, it may be more cost effective to go FFL to FFL.

Posts: 6919 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
I got bad info re this by an Ohio FFL and 2 Fla FFLs. They as much as laughed at me for asking. FLA guy says I’m best friends with local ATF guy, it won’t be a problem. He wouldn’t even take the transfer fee. So I left.
Sig2340 saved my bacon. I had seen this scenario brought up by him. It’s either in a will, or has to go thru FFL. I contacted Sig2340 and he reinforced what was legal. Just cause someone’s an FFL doesn’t mean they’re not misinformed.

Posts: 11148 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slosig:
quote:
Originally posted by Ogie:
I'm confused. Why not just sell it to her for whatever you want, $5.00, and send it from your FFL to her FFL. End of problem.
If one wants to give guns to someone living in another state they can do that, using an FFL in the recipient’s state to affect the transfer. There is no need to “sell” them the gun for any price to have the FFL transfer it to them.

If the FFL in the recipient’s state accepts firearms from shipped from private parties, you don’t need an FFL on your end. However, with the carrier tariffs requiring next day air for handguns, it may be more cost effective to go FFL to FFL.

Does shipping need to be involved?

They live in neighboring states. Can the father just go meet the daughter at an FFL in the daughter’s state, MI, and make the transfers there? Assuming the daughter has all the MI pistol permit paperwork ready for any handguns.

Posts: 10938 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Don’t have to ship to an FFL, but ask first. I’ve received guns from a seller in IL, I’m near the border. We met at an FFL in WI, he set the gun on the counter, I did a background check.

From IN to MI, likely has reason to visit at times anyway. It seems shipping has become more difficult in recent years, especially for the non-FFL shipper.

This would be a way to keep everyone happy, I think.

Posts: 6159 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
All sorts of advice in this thread. You know that old saying: "Opinions are like assholes- they're everywhere." Razz

semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Someone mentioned thatMichigan has a registration.

With that being said, you probably should go thru an FFL at his/her end to make sure you don’t inadvertently make your kid a criminal.

I’d call an FFL in his state and ask about it. And I’d consult their state police since it seems like they run the registry. The kid may need prior approval.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11278 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I can't tell if I'm
tired, or just lazy
Picture of ggile
posted Hide Post
Lots of different opinions!

This article from the National Shooting Sports Foundation offers some succinct advice.

https://www.nssf.org/articles/...reminders-from-nssf/

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety"
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2088 | Location: South Dakota-pheasant country | Registered: June 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ggile:
Lots of different opinions!

This article from the National Shooting Sports Foundation offers some succinct advice.

https://www.nssf.org/articles/...reminders-from-nssf/
This article makes it sound like Federal law requires you to ship to an FFL. I’d expect that that article is wrong (or poorly written) about this point and sourdough44 is correct, but it couldn’t hurt to clarify with the ATF.

Posts: 6919 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
The OP stated:
quote:
Originally posted by duke762:
My daughter and her husband live in Michigan and I live in Indiana.

The article states:
quote:
If the person you want to give the gift of a firearm to does not reside in the same state as you, then under federal law you have to ship the firearm to a licensed firearm retailer in the state where the recipient lives who can transfer the firearm after a background check.
Follow the law.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^
Hey, listen to this guy.

Federal law requires it. The whole “just give it to them it rarely causes a problem” is like saying “cheat on your taxes, they rarely catch you”

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
That article is wrong, or poorly written, in that it does not need to be shipped. It does have to go through an FFL. I am aware of nothing in federal law that would prohibit walking in the door of an FFL with a firearm that I legally possess and selling or transferring it to the dealer, who can then transfer it to someone else. I think it was just slightly poorly written in that the author intended to state that it could not be shipped to an individual, not that it had to be shipped as opposed to personally delivered.

To the point of suggestions such as “just do it”, or “no one will know”, when someone asks a question about legalities, it is best to assume they want answers about what is legal, not what you may be able to get away with regardless of the legality.

And it’s not just about authorities coming looking. What if the gun is used in self defense? Certainly an unfriendly prosecutor could go after a person for the federal firearms violation, even if the use was justified.

Posts: 3435 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
In order for a non-resident of MI to bring a handgun into MI, that person must have a CWL from his/her state of residence, have the card with them while in possession of the handgun, and present it on demand to a police officer.

Posts: 10938 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Imagination and focus
become reality
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by honestlou:
That article is wrong, or poorly written, in that it does not need to be shipped. It does have to go through an FFL. I am aware of nothing in federal law that would prohibit walking in the door of an FFL with a firearm that I legally possess and selling or transferring it to the dealer, who can then transfer it to someone else.

I live in Indiana and a friend, that lives in Illinois, wanted to sell me a pistol. He drove to Indiana and we went to my local gun shop where the dealer charged a transfer fee and the pistol was handed to me. Done deal. You are correct in your above statement as far as Indiana and Illinois are concerned. I don't know anything about Michigan law. Maybe something is different there. My original post on the subject sought to simplify the process so that both parties will get what they want. So whether or not you have to "sell" the gun is immaterial. My suggestion is the simplest legal way to get it done. If the law works the same way from Indiana to Michigan then maybe taking the gun there would be most cost effective. Otherwise I think my original idea would be best.

Posts: 6619 | Location: Northwest Indiana | Registered: August 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
The OP stated:
quote:
Originally posted by duke762:
My daughter and her husband live in Michigan and I live in Indiana.

The article states:
quote:
If the person you want to give the gift of a firearm to does not reside in the same state as you, then under federal law you have to ship the firearm to a licensed firearm retailer in the state where the recipient lives who can transfer the firearm after a background check.
Follow the law.
I absolutely agree that one should follow the law. I do not believe that the article accurately states the law. One would be well advised to read the actual federal law that requires interstate transfers of firearms to go through an FFL and ensure that they are in compliance.

I *think* the relevant section is 922(5), and I think it means you have to use an FFL for an interstate transfer. Of some interest is that the words “shipping” and “ship” are not mentioned anywhere in the text. My apologies for the crap cut and paste below, it is kinda brutal on a phone.(fixed)

Please do your own research, but that’s what I found on a phone.

Beyond the legalities, check with the FFL and make sure he or she will do the transfer. Different FFLs have different understandings and some are more conservative than the law requires.

"18 U.S. Code § 922 - Unlawful acts

(a) It shall be unlawful—

. . . [sections 1 - 4 snipped] . . .

(5) for any person (other than a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector) to transfer, sell, trade, give, transport, or deliver any firearm to any person
(other than a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector) who the transferor knows or has rea- sonable cause to believe resides in a State other than that in
which the transferor resides (or other than that in which its place of business is located if the transferor is a corporation or other business entity); except that this paragraph shall not apply to (A) the transfer, transportation, or delivery of a firearm made to carry out a bequest of a firearm to, or an acquisition by intestate succession of a firearm by, a person who is permitted to acquire or possess a firearm under the laws of the State of his residence, and (B) the loan or rental of a firearm to any person for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes;”

. . . [sections 6 and later snipped] . . .

Edited to clean up formatting of (what I think is) the relevant part of section 922 of the GCA.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: slosig,

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
That is the entire point. Forget about whether shipping or walking into an FFL. Just forget about that. The essential point is that an FFL must facilitate the transfer.

The article talks about shipping because the assumption is that the transfer would take place when the giver and receiver both are located in their respective home state. Getting bogged down on "ship" obscures the reality of this matter.

SF Jake
posted Hide Post
All this reading of laws and interpreting them takes some effort…and risk of being wrong.
You know what’s easier? Take it to an FFL and have him ship it to an FFL…..im pretty sure they know the ins/outs and do it correctly ….not only easier for both involved parties but takes any liabilities off you guys. It’s not that hard

Posts: 3119 | Location: southern connecticut | Registered: March 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
Does Sig2340 still post here?

Posts: 11148 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cgode:
All this reading of laws and interpreting them takes some effort…and risk of being wrong.
You know what’s easier? Take it to an FFL and have him ship it to an FFL…..im pretty sure they know the ins/outs and do it correctly ….not only easier for both involved parties but takes any liabilities off you guys. It’s not that hard
As mentioned earlier in this thread, not all FFLs know the law. As Sigfest mentioned he got bad advice from one Ohio FFL and two Florida FFLs. What you suggest is certainly within the law, and with an FFL’s ability to ship handguns USPS, it may be cheaper than shipping directly to the destination state FFL yourself. It isn’t required though, and if one is going to be visiting the recipient in the destination state it would be prudent to find an FFL there and have a phone conversation ahead of time to insure he or she will handle the transfer, then just go to that FFL when visiting and get the transfer done.

Ignorance of the law is no excuse, but it is also no reason to let a bunch of FUD complicate your life. Educate yourself, then make an informed decision.