SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Gun Box pistol safe anyone have one?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gun Box pistol safe anyone have one? Login/Join 
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted
I find myself in the market for a quick access single hand gun safe. Normally I will have a hand gun sitting on the end table next to me while downstairs reading or watching tv. Then carry it upstairs with me when I go to bed where it sleeps on the night stand next to me. I have a grandson who will be three in a few months. Most times I know in advance when he's coming over for a visit and I can secure the gun in the safe before he gets here. But he will on occasion pop in with mom or dad for a unannounced visit. And the gun is sitting on the table.

The last unannounced visit he was here for a couple minutes before I went oh crap and grabbed the gun and locked it up. So the need for a quick access safe. I don't need something that will survive nuclear bomb or a Battle Bot match. Just something that's secure when the little guy is here and still allows me quick access. Once purchased the gun will probably stay in it and accessible even when he's not here.

I came across this Gun Box and it seems to check all the boxes and then some for me. As usual the wisdom of the forum will be able to give a thumbs up or thumbs down or have other suggestions.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8532 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jandersd
posted Hide Post
Following the thread as I have a similar requirement. One thing I have noticed is that most of the products out there utilize an electronic locking mechanism. I have found at least one alternative that uses a Simplex mechanical lock - considering purchasing one to try it out.
[Link: https://www.dcgstores.com/279-...1e59b3ff1f05bb06eeb3 }

---
Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas

Posts: 1123 | Location: Cartersville, GA | Registered: September 30, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
The only thing I will strongly suggest is a simplex mechanical lock. They work, they are proven and you simply never need to think about them.

V-Line
The PB1
FAS1

I am VERY happy with my V-Lines and have owned them for over 10 years no problems.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7683 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
I have had one for thirty years with a simplex 5 button lock that has been unfaltering in all those years. The company that made it is no longer in business, but I can vouch for the simplex lock system.

Posts: 13681 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
I agree with above - simplex mechanical lock is the only way to go.

I have one like this on my nightstand...

https://www.amazon.com/Fort-Kn...%2Caps%2C331&sr=8-26

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have two of the side mount "Gun Vault", they work very well. Search ebay for "Gun Vault Mountable Single Pistol Safe Handgun Digital Keypad".

I through bolted mine, using #10-24 Tee nuts. No way to remove it without using a sawzall. Very fast to open, and about 100,000 combinations possible.

-c1steve

Posts: 4053 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
FAS1 handgun safes are made from 3/16" steel (steel thick enough to bolt to the floor with safe anchors), the locking mechanism is the simplex lock (i.e. no electronics to fail), they come with a holster, and when you open it up the pistil is presented for gripping with a shooting grip.

Depending on size, they're normally only $30 to $40 more than the Gunbox 2.0. However, right now there is a discount code and they're only $3 to $11 more.

OP, check your e-mail for a note from me

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23263 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have one very similar to this Fort Knox model.

I have it bolted to the tv armoire, and with a little practice you will be able to quickly open the Simplex lock blindfolded.

Posts: 3480 | Location: Lehigh Valley, PA | Registered: March 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I have several Gunvault Micro vaults for when family comes over. DONT GET THE FINGERPRINTS SCANNER opening. Won’t scan Mrs. Mikes and you have to do it slowly and precisely. So I use the finger pads ones, also has a key backup. Takes a 9v I change every year at Valentines with the smoke detectors..

I think we got our last one thru target online and it was $100....does what I need and it wasn’t expensive

https://www.lawmens.com/gunvau...utm_content=Shopping

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11286 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A mechanical Simplex lock is the most dependable. But over time they can break too. Back in the day we used to spec Simplex door locks on a number of projects we did for a certain local airplane manufacturer. In job meetings I would occasionally hear about durability issues with them from their facilities people. However those failures are likely due to their placement in extremely high traffic doors, something a safe box will never see.

I've had and tried multiple electronic lock units and to date they've almost ALL pretty much suck in some form or another. Most recently I was tempted to pick up this Vaultek unit because of all of the glowing reviews but then subsequently found out that it's sourced out of the PRC, so no bueno. Even without the politics, so many of these overseas-made units don't have parts support here in the U.S.

When it comes to the Simplex-style, my Ft. Knox has been quite the reliable unit.

-MG

Posts: 1993 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jandersd
posted Hide Post
quote:
cslinger: I am VERY happy with my V-Lines and have owned them for over 10 years no problems.

Thanks for the recommendation - I'm going to pick one up and see about locating in the family room

---
Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas

Posts: 1123 | Location: Cartersville, GA | Registered: September 30, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Assault Accountant
Picture of 12GA
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
FAS1 handgun safes are made from 3/16" steel (steel thick enough to bolt to the floor with safe anchors), the locking mechanism is the simplex lock (i.e. no electronics to fail), they come with a holster, and when you open it up the pistil is presented for gripping with a shooting grip.

I have the FAS1 with standard holster for my P220ST. Quick access and secure it works as advertised.

Posts: 2583 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: July 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
Of the options using a mechanical lock the FAS1 is likely the best from an overall construction standpoint. It’s innovative holster design is also a very neat feature.

If you need a different style the V-line and Fort Knox are fine options.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15719 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I can't tell if I'm
tired, or just lazy
Picture of ggile
posted Hide Post
I don't have the Gun Box safe, but I just recently got a Hornady Night Guard Safe which has a lot of the features of the Gun Box with the exception of the fingerprint access. I think that whatever brand you decide on, it's wise to have some type of quick access safe storage for your bedside gun.

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety"
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2089 | Location: South Dakota-pheasant country | Registered: June 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
The simplex lock and some thick steel are what to get.

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Posts: 9366 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
I recently picked up the Vaultek LifePod that Colion Noir has been hawking.

It is an electronic lock, but also has a key. About half the price of the others being mentioned here.

Gets good reviews and seems solid. Portability features that let you secure it in vehicle or hotel room while traveling.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B082P8ZGBG

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10940 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Below is a link to the handgun safe that’s in my nightstand:

V-Line Brute

Silent

Posts: 1026 | Registered: February 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post