SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Miss America 2024 uniform weirdness
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Miss America 2024 uniform weirdness Login/Join 
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted
The local Facebook groups are all a twitter because the newly crowned Miss America is from Fort Smith, AR (even though she won as Miss Colorado).

Anyway, they are pointing out she's the first active duty service member to win the title. She's a Second Lieutenant in the USAF.

The pic they're using of her in uniform, she's in OCPs, but instead of a spice brown vertical bar for rank, she has what looks to be horizontal Captain's (O-3) bars.

Can any of you Zoomies shed some light on that? She's also showing off one of those ribbon pins (you know, like the <inserttopichere> awareness ribbons) in the pic, so I'm wondering if it's intentional to skirt uniform regs.

I'd post a pic but I'm on my phone.

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16191 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Cadet Captain rank. That photo is from her time at the Air Force Academy. The purple ribbon is for pancreatic cancer, from which her mother died the year before she began at the academy.

Posts: 32553 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
Ahhhhh....okay. That's trippy as hell. Big Grin

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16191 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Another example, of a Cadet Colonel and a Cadet Lieutenant Colonel:

Posts: 32553 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Yes.

Corporal Captain was down voted and obsoleted in Korea in the early '50s...

Since she has the "awareness" ribbon "hidden" when the uniform is "worn correctly", she is not breaking regs.

No different than having it in her pocket.

I think she ran as "Miss Colorado" since she was living in Colorado at the Academy.
(I don't know the rules, except you have to cry if you win).

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43921 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
I think she ran as "Miss Colorado" since she was living in Colorado at the Academy.

Correct. She grew up in Fort Smith, Arkansas, and started at the Air Force Academy in Colorado in 2019. She then won the "Miss Academy 2023" pageant her senior year at the Air Force Academy, which made her eligible to compete for "Miss Colorado 2023", which she also won right around the time she was graduating from the academy. This then made her eligible to compete for Miss America 2024, despite the fact that she had graduated from the academy in the interim and no longer resided in Colorado.

A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
I think it a pretty cool thing.

Hope she can represent both the Miss America and the USAF and bring some focused dignity to both.

Bet "Colorado" is going to be her call sign. At least for a while.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43921 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
Yes.

Corporal Captain was down voted and obsoleted in Korea in the early '50s...

Since she has the "awareness" ribbon "hidden" when the uniform is "worn correctly", she is not breaking regs.

No different than having it in her pocket.

(I don't know the rules, except you have to cry if you win).

"No sir, I don't like it at all" Big Grin

Posts: 3526 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Character, above all else
Picture of Tailhook 84
posted Hide Post
"One negative for Corporal Captain."

"The Truth, when first uttered, is always considered heresy."

Posts: 2543 | Location: West of Fort Worth | Registered: March 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Does the captain want a straw? “We don’t use straws in combat fella”.

Posts: 4066 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post