SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Floor jack and stands for my truck and cars - GtG?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Floor jack and stands for my truck and cars - GtG? Login/Join 
Picture of konata88
posted
Hi - I'm finally going to buy floor jacks and stand for my truck (LX570) and cars.

Are these good to go in terms of safety/reliability (#1 priority), weight capacity (good enough for my truck? do I need more headroom?) and max height (I think so, if I put the jack in factory recommended locations to minimize wheel articulation but not sure - searching through the manual to find out).

These are the best I could find on Prime. If these are not recommended, any recommendations on what to buy and where?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod...=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod...=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12761 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Yellow Jacket
posted Hide Post
Unless your vehicles weigh more than 24,000 pounds you should be good.

quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:

Just remember that almost all jack stands' rating is for the pair.

Oops, revise the weight to 12,000 lbs.

Edited 7/22 10:00 PM

God's mercy: NOT getting what we deserve!
God's grace: Getting what we DON'T deserve!

"If the enemy is in range, so are you." - Infantry Journal

Bob
P239 40 S&W
Endowment NRA
Viet Nam '69-'70

Posts: 1099 | Location: Fayette County, GA | Registered: April 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Jack stands look good. Get the same brand jack. The Heim Warner is made in the USA. They are will built and down the road you can get repair parts if needed.
I wouldn’t buy a Chinese, aluminum jack. They look cool when new. No service parts and questionable quality.
An aluminum jack is for a pit crew that has to pick it up. You don’t.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 220-9er,

Posts: 9546 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

Just remember that almost all jack stands' rating is for the pair.

Posts: 10793 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
Lift height might be a little low for your truck. Daytona jack from Harbor Freight of all places is a good jack.

Posts: 3470 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I think my truck is 6-7K lbs but I'd like to have some headroom (50% sounds good). So, the jack stand, singly could support 1.5 ton? If each corner is 2000lbs, then I would have 0.5ton of headroom? I guess that's good enough but maybe I'll consider this 7 ton pair.

https://www.amazon.com/Hein-We...ts=p_85%3A2470955011

I was looking at the HW 3T floor jack but it seems that it's only assembled in the US (with made in china parts?). The reviews aren't that favorable.

I'm generally averse to PRC made products but the Arcan has more consistently favorable reviews (and is 1/2 the price). No welds so maybe that's a good thing.

Also, I'm thinking about taking the floor jack w/ me on truck road trips. I'm not especially comfortable w/ the factory scissor jacks for this truck Smile I've got the space for a jack and stands..... So maybe Al is okay?

But I'd rather be safe than dead.... Again, I avoid PRC products but maybe this is an exception given 1) transport, 2) HW seems made in china as well, 3) more consistently favorable reviews?

But I'm still checking on my truck height to lift the wheels.... Still searching the manual.

"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12761 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Remember you are not lifting the entire car. Just one axles worth. The 3 ton stands are more than enough to support the car as you work under it.
Make sure the jack can lift high enough to get the supports under the car at a support point. I pretty much max out the lift height when I jack the front of my highlander.

Posts: 1045 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: August 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Thanks -- yea, I'm trying to find that info in the manual but not having much luck.

BTW, where do I place the stands while the jack is at the designated factory jack point? The manual suggests using jack stands but doesn't tell me where to put them.... Stupid.

Spiritually Imperfect
Picture of VictimNoMore
posted Hide Post
You'll want to look for reinforced points on the car/truck to place the jack stands. Like, where control arms bolt to the uni body or frame, etc. Just be sure to not crush any bushing housings or bolts via jack stand placement.
Find the online forum for your vehicle. There's usually DIY threads about lift points, etc. galore.

Posts: 3810 | Location: WV | Registered: January 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I place the jack stands under the pinch welds. These are the points the manual tells you to use when you use the sissor jack. The floor jack lifts the car/truck from a solid central lifting point ( 1 in the front, another in the back)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=t6TRIRaAZwY
This video explains the process. You just need to make sure of your lift point. Lifting from the wrong spot can severely wreck your car.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/threa...nts-08-lx570.990407/

The last post in the above link has a diagram of where to place the jack and jack stands.

Posts: 1045 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: August 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Thanks! Great pics in that thread! Why don't they include that info in the manual....

posted Hide Post
How about the all in one jack stands?
They would take up less room when traveling.

https://www.amazon.com/Powerbu...BAD5XJC3D1Z2SA5KVXBS

Posts: 10056 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
I owned a Lincoln/Ajax floor jack for a number of years. And mistakenly sold it when the main cylinder seal went bad (the jack was stored outside 365). I see rebuild kits are readily available, only got $50 for the jack, and have plenty of time now to do a rebuild.

If you happen to look at a used floor jack, if it will support your truck for 30 minutes, the seals are probably good.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rover88
posted Hide Post
Rather than taking the floor jack with you (especially if you're going off-road, look into a Hi-Jack. Most off-road and farm supply stores have them.

Posts: 640 | Location: Johnstown, PA | Registered: February 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rover88:
Rather than taking the floor jack with you (especially if you're going off-road, look into a Hi-Jack. Most off-road and farm supply stores have them.

Please don't..

These things are incredibly dangerous and require structural lift points to be used and standard vehicles don't have these.

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6332 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rover88
posted Hide Post
Never thought of that. My Land Rover pretty much IS a structural lift point.

Posts: 640 | Location: Johnstown, PA | Registered: February 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just for reference, I bought a 3 ton Arcan aluminum jack at Costco for 99 bucks. Works great but I'm only using if for the ZTR and golf cart. I only lift the car/truck with a steel chassis Lincoln.

Posts: 418 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: June 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

Personally, I feel more safe having the stands as far forward (or rearward) as you can find a solid support point. Usually the designated lift points for the jack are a bit further back from the ends of the vehicle, although they should work.

Posts: 10793 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 64dodge:
Just for reference, I bought a 3 ton Arcan aluminum jack at Costco for 99 bucks. Works great but I'm only using if for the ZTR and golf cart. I only lift the car/truck with a steel chassis Lincoln.

If you didn't have the Lincoln, would you be comfortable using the Arcan? If not, any particular reason? Or just generally not comfortable with PRC product in this application?

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
quote:
Originally posted by PeteF:
Remember you are not lifting the entire car. Just one axles worth. The 3 ton stands are more than enough to support the car as you work under it.
Make sure the jack can lift high enough to get the supports under the car at a support point. I pretty much max out the lift height when I jack the front of my highlander.

Maybe, but probably not.

Vehicle weighs what, 6,000 pounds? It probably has more weight on the front axle than the rear, so 3 ton per pair stands are too small. It's worse if the jack stand points are behind the front axle.

So a pair of 3 ton (6000lb) jackstands could safely support the ENTIRE weight of a 6000 lb car. When using a pair of jackstands you are supporting ~1/2 (yeah i know more like 60/40 but math is easier with 50) the weight of the car. The other set of wheels support the remaining 50%.

I am perfectly comfortable with 100% over capacity.

Not to mention the advertised capacity is not the fail capacity. The fail capacity is 2x the rated capacity. Ie a 3 ton jackstand will fail at > 12klbs.