SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Taking a ruise from Barcellona to France then Italy
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Taking a ruise from Barcellona to France then Italy Login/Join 
Picture of rtquig
posted
My mother in law has paid for my family and my sister in laws family to a cruise of 7 days in early July. All the plans are done, excursions planned and paid for. We are getting private van service instead of a bus to take us to destinations. I'm not looking for advice on places to visit, rather what should I be on the look out for? I have heard watch myself in Rome as pickpockets are worse than NYC. Should I carry my passport or leave it on the ship? Things like along those lines I could use advice on. Been on an Alaskan cruise last year, but 3 foreign countries that I'm not real familiar with is different. 2 stops in Spain, 2 France, and 2 in Italy.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4018 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hold Fast
Picture of Butch 2340
posted Hide Post
I make a copy of our passports to carry around and kept the originals in the safe on the ship. Rome during the day with a group tour you should be fine, after dark out on your own you should beware in fact the pick pockets are much worst in Barcelona than Rome.

Take lots of pictures, enjoy the food and have a great time.

Also the crew on your ship will give you the best advice on each stop as they have been there many times before.

Never shoot a large caliber man with a small caliber bullet . . .

Posts: 7634 | Location: Georgia  | Registered: May 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Public transportation and large gathering areas are the prime spots for pickpockets. They aren't too into violent crime so it's mostly someone fishing in your front or rear pockets in a crowded spot. I got a shirt with a chest pocket and put my money and cards in there. It was more comfortable than a neck wallet. They mostly hit pants and purses. Beware as it's not usually a bum, they dress nice.

Otherwise it's largely not a ton to worry about. I did about everything on credit and left my passport on the ship. I took a paper copy with me and if an official would have stopped me they'd have to bring me back to the ship which keeps you from fake police holding your real passport. You don't have to worry about surrendering a peice of paper

Posts: 3044 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I was pickpocketed in a Paris subway. A mob of about 20 youths got on and crowded around, then got off at the next stop. My wallet was gone. I reported it to the police there, but about $1700 had been put on my credit cards by then. A month later, back at home in the States, my wallet showed up, postage due, with everything in it except the credit cards and cash--thief had dropped it in a Paris mailbox.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
We have secured a private van (two actually) to take us to sites we are going to see. I wanted to see the Colosseum but on the day we can go there all tickets are sold out.
People have told me not to wear ball caps or any shirts with logos on them while in these countries. Also said not to wear shorts or jeans. I didn't plan to tour these countries in dockers and a polo shirt. A few days dressed like that would be okay, but not everyday.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4018 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
I've been to Europe 6 times and have never had an issue with pick pockets. Carry your wallet in a front pocket. If people are crowding you stick your hand in your pocket. If it were me, I would carry my passport on my person, though I've done the copy thing in the past.

As to dress, you won't be dressed any worse than other tourists there if you wear shorts and t-shirts. If you're going to wear shorts, maybe leave the cargo shorts at home and get a nice pair of "dress shorts" for lack of a better word.

Posts: 11175 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Literally every person that I know, who has gone to Italy has been the victim of a petty crime. This includes my wife.
You (tourist), are an excellent target, you are distracted, tired, carrying cash. Do not underestimate the field craft these pickpockets have.
The "fatal funnel" for you is public transportation coming out of or into the airport.
Do yourself a favor and spend the $20 on a belly band that you can slip on while you are in the secure part of the airport.
Do not underestimate the threat.

Make it count

Posts: 1415 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: November 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Travel pants are available with several secured, zippered pockets. I've seen the pickpockets in Barcelona work in teams with walkie-talkie devices to coordinate. Private transport is good, daytime is great. Nights go back to the boat.

Posts: 17152 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I lived / worked in Barcelona for a year and a half. The only time I had anything stolen was on a trip to Paris, my wallet "disappeared" on the Metro.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30737 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
Thanks. All good advice. I was thinking of wearing cargo shorts, but now I'm thinking maybe not. I was looking at so more online, glad I didn't pull the trigger. I do carry my wallet in my front pocket all the time. My wife thinks I'm going overboard thinking we will be the targets of pick pockets.

The way the boat is set up, I think we will leave port at 7:00 every night. 6 stops, 7 days.

Living the Dream

Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
On our Baltic cruise I bought a pair of travel pants.
Tons of pockets, interior pockets in pockets. Zippers that were close with a flap and button.
I was i. A crowd at St. Petersburg when I got a good jostle. Pretty sure someone tried to lift my wallet.
https://www.clothingarts.com/p...venture_travel_pants

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of valkyrie1
posted Hide Post
yeah the "gypsie"kids are the worst. Just remember a bonjour,merci,aurevoir,Ciao, Grazie goes a long way.

Posts: 2310 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rtquig:
My mother in law has paid for my family and my sister in laws family to a cruise of 7 days in early July. All the plans are done, excursions planned and paid for. We are getting private van service instead of a bus to take us to destinations. I'm not looking for advice on places to visit, rather what should I be on the look out for? I have heard watch myself in Rome as pickpockets are worse than NYC. Should I carry my passport or leave it on the ship? Things like along those lines I could use ad Big Grin vice on. Been on an Alaskan cruise last year, but 3 foreign countries that I'm not real familiar with is different. 2 stops in Spain, 2 France, and 2 in Italy.

Very generous of your MIL, looks like you'll be buying a few dinners and a nice gift on the trip for her. Big Grin

I stopped carrying a wallet years ago and went with a money clip that could hold multiple cards, I don't do money belts. I seek pants/shorts with zip pockets, Vertx and ExOfficio are the two main bottoms I'll use when traveling since they have those features. Passport I'll leave back in my room along with copies of all my credit cards on my person, I carry around copies of my passport both in paper form and picture on my phone. Just remember, the less things you're carrying, the less things you could lose or, burden yourself.

6 stops in 7-days, that's quite the speed marathon, you'll be sheep with the tour guide as the shepherd; everything will be brief, perhaps this will whet your appetite to return with more time. All the major tourist locations in all three countries are prone to pick-pocketing, as petty crime is big business for the lazy and self-segregated in welfare economies. In many cases the early bird gets the worm, however, it may also be advantageous to wait until later in the afternoon or, early evening to visit certain locations. July will be very hot and you'll be in the tourism crush with many other tour groups from other counties that don't quite understand social morays and such so, smart travel = good travel. Always fun to observe groups from different countries and compare yourself...are you having fun?, do they look like they're having fun?, how much did they pay for their trip?

Let us know how it goes, remember to enjoy yourself and hopefully your family doesn't drive you up the wall. Big Grin

Posts: 14697 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIG-Sauer
Anthropologist
posted Hide Post
I an European, live in Europe and know the regions you will visit. A copy of your passpot is useless. You will only need the passport when you entering Europe or for car rentals, for anything else ID is sufficient. For other cases you will provide the original. Copies of the passport will not be accepted by any official institition.
If you want to go low profile wear black or gray pants, a plain light polo or shirt and gark shoes. That is what middle aged men are wearing in that region. Shorts are considered to be for boys or tourists. So are traveller/outdoor pants.
You ill need about € 100 a day. Dont use bills over € 50. Pay small things cash with coins from your front pocket and keep the bills and ID in a purse of your other front pocket and all other belongings in a messanger bag or backpack.

Posts: 3778 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: January 24, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Don't forget 1 euro coins for using the bathroom!

Posts: 17152 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I have a nylon IWB wallet that I used to use when traveling. Bought it after I got hit by the pickpocket in Paris. It is secured by a belt loop and the wallet goes over the top of the waistband and sits inside my pants. The loop can be covered by a cell phone pouch or an untucked polo (or other) shirt.

My wife has a wallet that is suspended by a neckband; the wallet stays inside her shirt or blouse.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30737 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
After I was pickpocketed, for future travels I bought a chest safe (worn around the neck inside the shirt) for my passport, credit cards, and major cash. Had no more problems.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OTD:
I an European, live in Europe and know the regions you will visit. A copy of your passpot is useless. You will only need the passport when you entering Europe or for car rentals, for anything else ID is sufficient. For other cases you will provide the original. Copies of the passport will not be accepted by any official institition.
If you want to go low profile wear black or gray pants, a plain light polo or shirt and gark shoes. That is what middle aged men are wearing in that region. Shorts are considered to be for boys or tourists. So are traveller/outdoor pants.
You ill need about € 100 a day. Dont use bills over € 50. Pay small things cash with coins from your front pocket and keep the bills and ID in a purse of your other front pocket and all other belongings in a messanger bag or backpack.

I was thinking of copies of our passports in case our passports were stolen, and at least we would have the information in detail. No shorts, interesting. A few people have recommended shorts that are knee length. Thanks for you comments, it is always good to have insight from someone living there.

Living the Dream

Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
I have a nylon IWB wallet that I used to use when traveling. Bought it after I got hit by the pickpocket in Paris. It is secured by a belt loop and the wallet goes over the top of the waistband and sits inside my pants. The loop can be covered by a cell phone pouch or an untucked polo (or other) shirt.

My wife has a wallet that is suspended by a neckband; the wallet stays inside her shirt or blouse.

Good recommendations. Thanks

Living the Dream

I know what I like
I like what I know
Picture of Mark in Michigan
posted Hide Post
Americans are easily by the white 'trainers' we tend to wear. So invest in black gym shoes for your family.

Best regards,
Mark in Michigan

Posts: 502 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: December 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post