SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What sword did Col. Travis carry at the Alamo?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What sword did Col. Travis carry at the Alamo? Login/Join 
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted
I have started added weapons to some of the art(?) we have on our walls.

It started with a Masai(sp) war club we picked up in Dar years ago along with a paining of Masai warriors.

My wife got be a very nicely frame copy of the "Travis Letter" a couple of years ago and since them I have been searching on an off for any information on what type of sword Col. Travis may have carried.

I am a bit anal about historical accuracy...you should have seen my 8yo last halloween, he went as a Texas Ranger. "Yes, my love he does need a leather rig for his cap pistol" Cool

Anyway, I have found very little information beyond that it more than likely would have been a light cavalry saber.

So I down to 2 choices;

British 1822 light cavalry saber - this is period correct and officers (if they had the means) often order their swords from England.
http://www.kultofathena.com/pr...+Light+Cavalry+Saber

US Model 1833 Dragoon Saber - This is also period correct but as it was a 1833 model I doubt he would have bought one after he was commissioned, not saying it's not possible...I just figure he would have bought an earlier model.
http://cultofathena.com/product.asp?item=USS187

What say the SF trust?

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Almost as Fast as a Speeding Bullet
Picture of Otto Pilot
posted Hide Post
I would say go for the light cavalry saber. The Dragoons saber was made for two specific US units, the 1st and 2nd United States Dragoons. Travis only started his military service with the Alabama militia and was in Texas by 1830, so I doubt it is realistic he had the 1833 pattern sword.

Aeronautics confers beauty and grandeur, combining art and science for those who devote themselves to it. . . . The aeronaut, free in space, sailing in the infinite, loses himself in the immense undulations of nature. He climbs, he rises, he soars, he reigns, he hurtles the proud vault of the azure sky. — Georges Besançon

Posts: 11502 | Location: Denver and/or The World | Registered: August 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
This is what I am thinking as well

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
There is a pretty extensive discussion, with various theories, here:

https://www.johnwayne-thealamo...wtopic.php?f=9&t=161

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
Thank you