SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Jefferson Count (Louisville, Ky) cancels school already because of transportation issues (kids on busses for 6 hours)
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Jefferson Count (Louisville, Ky) cancels school already because of transportation issues (kids on busses for 6 hours) Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
They built a new school here. K-8 just opened last week. My daughter was supposed to go since we are at the furthest boundary edge. But she’s in 8th and also in debate and some other extra curriculars that are not at the new school yet so we applied and got a waiver so she can finish 8th with her friends. Both schools are equidistant from us. So of course no busses to her (old/same school) so we have to drive her. Another kid a block away also finishing 8th and got the waiver so they car pool. It’s 2+ miles to campus so not really reasonable to ask that of a kid to walk. But they gotta be out the door by 6:45am.

Posts: 4776 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I went to public school and rode the bus daily. I was the first stop in the morning and the last to be dropped off. The bus always smelled funky.

Posts: 17252 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
I wouldn’t even consider driving a school bus now, but I did for one winter back in the late 70s. The school district was the Evergreen, Colorado area and included Kittredge and Conifer. I was a Forest Service seasonal then and needed a job between summer seasons. I actually had some fun back then. I took Willie Nelson’s daughter, Paula to school in Conifer every morning and took HS kids home in the afternoon. Sad that things have changed so dramatically. One laugh out loud moment was when one of the “cowboys” (who always sat in the back of the bus) dropped a can of snuff in the bus. This is the fine-powdered tobacco and it billowed up enveloping the back 1/3 of the bus. “Alright, we’re going to evacuate the bus!” I announced laughing. I can still see the look on that kid’s face when my eyes in the mirror met his in the back seat.

Posts: 13284 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^
That was a pretty afluent area back then. The Hinkley kid was from Evergreen if I recall correctly.

Posts: 17252 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jcsabolt2
posted Hide Post
Make them walk to school. What did they do pre-bussing days? We have an obesity problem in this country and a little exercise before school will wear their butts out before they get there and help reduce their energy in making problems during the school day.

----------
“Nobody can ever take your integrity away from you. Only you can give up your integrity.” H. Norman Schwarzkopf

Posts: 3635 | Registered: July 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:
Originally posted by ARman:
As with most school districts, the biggest problem is student Discipline, which the schools administrators have no interest in fixing.
Some of those little bastards need to be stunned with a cattle prod before being allowed on the bus. A select few need a second zap on their way off of the bus.
quote:
To answer Para's question, it dimwhitcrap, most of Louisville/ Jefferson County government is dimwhitcrap.
Shocking. I never would have guessed. Roll Eyes

I just can't help but wonder how many diversity and inclusion initiatives this school district has had over the past four years.

Posts: 6626 | Location: Virginia | Registered: January 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
You no longer have outstanding schools because you bus a ton of failures from the failing schools to the over achieving schools, thinking these failures will magically start to excel because they are at a different school.
Nope all you do is make that outstanding school mediocre or if you send too many failures to the excellent schools you crush that school and it becomes a failure.

The idiots here did this to the high school in my area, we had years of top level highest marks in the county, an A school.

So in the name of diversity and to "handle the growth in the area" which means we think moving kids will let us improve the F school and get more state money, they reclassed people from the A school and bussed in kids from an F school, that bus trip was several miles including going on the toll road more per day for them vs walking down the road.

The result was that the F school remained an F school and the A school dropped to a C... The goal was to increase funding by moving the problem grade kids to the A school.

Idiots.

Posts: 23505 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jcsabolt2:

Make them walk to school. What did they do pre-bussing days?
We didn't have busses when I was a kid. The horse-drawn trolleys did not go near the school. All the students lived ten miles from the school and had to walk. It was uphill both ways.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30704 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
This disaster has been a long time in coming.

It all began back in the early 1970s when the City of Louisville (urban) school system and the Jefferson County (rural) school system were merged into one. Then the court-ordered racial desegregation judgments came down which mandated “forced busing”. As could be expected lots of unhappy parents of all persuasions.

This continued into the early 2000s, when it was determined by the courts that “forced busing” to accomplish desegregation was no longer required. The JCPS decided to continue “voluntary busing” (oxymoron term) in order to continue the current operation.

In 2011, in another SCOTUS decision “voluntary busing” was to determined to be not required, but by then the school board was firmly in the hands of the Democrat-controlled teachers’ union, as it still is today, and things continued on.

The CoVid disruption changed everything with “non-traditional instruction” (NTI) replacing “snow day” cancellations. A bus driver shortage forced the re-work of bus routes into a “staggered pick-up delivery system” based upon the design by some logistics company that had similar problems in Columbus, Ohio.

Last Wednesday (August 9) was the the First Day of School for 2023. Some kids didn’t get home until 9:58 PM thanks to the “staggered route” concept. Lots of ANGRY parents; lawsuits being threatened; politicians making announcements; demands for special State Legislature session to bust-up JCPS; etc.

The 2023 Governors Race just took a turn with this, as Gov Andy Beshear was elected by only a 5000-vote majority based only upon the help from the JCPS teachers union “getting the vote out”. Re-election of Beshear might be “iffy” at best now.

JCPS has “collapsed under its own weight”. It will take awhile to clear away the rubble.

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2704 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
Lots of problems with our public schools, but very few taxpayers lifting a single finger to do a thing about it.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15723 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
When I was in school I walked 5 miles each way to school, in the snow, uphill both directions. Nah, I'm kidding, it was only a mile and a half.

Seriously though, I did walk every day and that distance is about right. One of the (many) things people complain about has always been that there are no seatbelts on school buses. Last week we had a YMCA summer camp bus lose control and flip over on the highway not far from here. A bunch of kids got hurt, fortunately none of them fatally. So what about adding 4-point harnesses to each seat, with locks that are radio controlled by the driver? That should at least control the running around.

Then add the shock collars for those that insist on being excessively verbal.

Posts: 7272 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Technically Adaptive
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Expert308:
When I was in school I walked 5 miles each way to school, in the snow, uphill both directions. Nah, I'm kidding, it was only a mile and a half.

Seriously though, one of the (many) things people complain about has always been that there are no seatbelts on school buses. So what about adding 4-point harnesses to each seat, with locks that are radio controlled by the driver? That should at least control the running around. Then add the shock collars for those that insist on being too verbal.

I would consider driving bus part time, often wonder if the kids act up with interior cameras, I figure they still do. So if the school doesn't care, why bother driving the bus. No driving around little monsters for me.

Posts: 1302 | Location: Willcox, AZ | Registered: September 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I grew up in California so no snow stories. I walked to both my elementary and my high school. Elementary was 1.6 miles away by foot and high school was 1.3 miles. I just google mapped it. Didn’t kill me. I wasn’t fat. Walking to school should be a thing again if it’s available.

Posts: 7540 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rizzle:
I would consider driving bus part time, often wonder if the kids act up with interior cameras, I figure they still do. So if the school doesn't care, why bother driving the bus. No driving around little monsters for me.

I've toyed with the idea too, especially now that I'm retired. But then rationality returns. I can't see subjecting myself to the level of chaos that it seems to entail. I just wouldn't have the patience for it. And then there's the liability issue, too.

Posts: 7272 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
I wouldn’t even consider driving a school bus now, but I did for one winter back in the late 70s. The school district was the Evergreen, Colorado area and included Kittredge and Conifer...

Ha, small world! This is where I live. You must've been based out of the Bus Barn in Marshdale.

We were notified last week our bus route has been cancelled...Not enough drivers. We're in Jefferson county too, but Jefferson county, Colorado. On the positive side, both my kids will be in middle school this year. We're about 6 miles away from the school, 5 miles along a 4 lane divided highway. Walking isn't an option. Google maps says 2 hours 10 minutes to walk each direction.

There is a bus route on the other side of the highway, in a different neighborhood. I called the bus barn and they say they can't let me know if that's an option until after Labor day. They have to find out how many kids are signed up for the bus before they will let kids assigned to a different route on that bus. That would be the best solution for me as one of the bus stops is only about 1 mile from my house.

I am hoping the alternative bus route works out. Last year my son was on the bus for 50 minutes every morning as he was one of the first ones to get picked up. But, he was one of the the first to get dropped off.

Posts: 5764 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1967Goat:
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
I wouldn’t even consider driving a school bus now, but I did for one winter back in the late 70s. The school district was the Evergreen, Colorado area and included Kittredge and Conifer...

Ha, small world! This is where I live. You must've been based out of the Bus Barn in Marshdale.

No, don’t believe so. I don’t remember where I picked up my bus for the morning run, but I’m sure it was somewhere right in town. I really did have a pretty good time. I worked with some good people, and I have no bad memories of the kids. I was just a young guy and the pretty HS girls sat behind me in the afternoon. I wasn’t much older than they were, and I was sorely tempted to look one or two up after they graduated, but I started going down to Arizona and working dude ranches in the winter. Many winters have passed, but sometimes it doesn’t seem so long ago.

BTW, I lived in Indian Hills back then, and Idledale before that.

Posts: 13284 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
Louisville just gets worse - Looks like no school this week. JCPS school superintendent makes $379k per year and just got a 75k raise this year because he could retire and his annual pension is near 379k so he'd be working for free w/out a raise. School system is totally out of control.

https://www.wdrb.com/news/jcps...f9-8f0e4740cff1.html

Posts: 4699 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
These morons can’t get it together.
They cancelled school for a few days to try to get their shit together and kids went back to school Friday.

Well they cut the time by about 2 hours. Last kid dropped off at 7:43pm!
But wait this was only elementary and middle school. High School did not have school Friday and on top of that quite a few Elementary and Middle Schools were released early!

Unreal!!!! The entire administration should be fired!!

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25431 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hide Post

quote:
e

Posts: 2014 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
Back story to this is according to local radio, the school system spent somewhere between 250-500k (no one seems to know)
To an engineering firm to streamline the districts bus routes

Following the engineering firms routes was a disaster. Now, the finger pointing has began with no one really being responsible for what happened. The school board blamed the engineering firm, the engineering firm blaming the school board.

At least that was on the talk radio shows Friday….

So other than spending wasting money to have an engineering firm 'streamline' the bus routes, what has changed? What the hell was happening at the end of last school year just a couple of months ago? I presume the school bus transportation 'system' was at least functioning, correct? Is the whole problem that some administrator(s) thought it needed to be fixed? Can't they just go back to what they were doing last year?

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8925 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post