SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Robot narration
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Robot narration Login/Join 
posted
Is this a cost saver? The recitation and lack of emphasis suck. Add to it the mispronounciation of many words, particularly countries and cities. Is this the coming thing?

Posts: 17282 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
Dunno if it's going to become widespread or not (I hope not), but I've been seeing it on a number of Youtube channels for the last year or so. It generally sucks for all the reasons the OP listed. It's generally just hard to listen to. I've got to the point where I look at the channel name when I go to a page that looks interesting; if it's one of the channels that I've experienced robo-narration on, I'll typically skip it.

Posts: 7275 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very annoying. When reading numbers and positions they have issues. Example was watching a dday video and it was trying to say 501st. And it kept saying “five zero one ess tee” the AI isn’t perfected yet.

Posts: 4783 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do---or do not.
There is no try.
posted Hide Post
Robo-narration really does suck. We all got spoiled by the robot on Lost in Space—-never any problems on that show.

I remember when the bright idea came out to have voice narration capability on police cars’ MDTs so officers could get displayed text without looking at the screen. Most of our officers turned the feature off because lots of the audio wasn’t understandable.

Posts: 4505 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
I refuse to watch any AI generated content. There are a number of YouTube channels that are 100% AI and most feature stolen content from other channels.

If it's not human, I'm not watching it.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20846 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
What Skins said!

Posts: 4701 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
The unfortunate truth is it will get better. Eventually we won’t be able to tell the difference.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12451 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Beautiful Mind
Picture of DetonicsMk6
posted Hide Post
I was just looking at the Audible, audio book site and instead of having the names of the narrator, many of the books listed, "Virtual Voice" as the narrator. Not very impressed and if this is a trend, I'll probably cut down on the audio book purchases.

Posts: 4814 | Registered: March 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
Phone scammers from overseas have started using AI to filter out their accents and give it a western sounding flavor

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19721 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DetonicsMk6:
I was just looking at the Audible, audio book site and instead of having the names of the narrator, many of the books listed, "Virtual Voice" as the narrator. Not very impressed and if this is a trend, I'll probably cut down on the audio book purchases.

That would be a definite no for me!

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38726 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The stupid grammar and being overly polite are two dead giveaways.

Posts: 17282 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:
Phone scammers from overseas have started using AI to filter out their accents and give it a western sounding flavor

I’ve been getting tons of scam calls using AI as a screening technique. The American voice asks if I’m on Medicare. If I answer yes it forwards to the typical Indian scammer. I waste as much of their time as I can. They usually end the call telling me to fuck myself or some other vile stuff.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12451 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Asking them to repeat really annoys them. Just keep asking if you can talk to joe namath because he was on TV.

His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by frayedends:
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:

I’ve been getting tons of scam calls using AI as a screening technique. The American voice asks if I’m on Medicare. If I answer yes it forwards to the typical Indian scammer. I waste as much of their time as I can. They usually end the call telling me to fuck myself or some other vile stuff.

We have the same past time. I have a full background story. George Lopez. 75 years old. 90210 zip code and I even have a street address. I get the Medicare and end of life insurance.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19721 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I too hate the videos with robot narration.When it mispronounces names of people or places it loses all credibility. It really grates on the nerves when it just keeps repeating the same mistake.

"Momma say's the pistol is the Devil's right hand."

Posts: 694 | Location: Ontario | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
This stuff will never work in Scotland...

Posts: 23594 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post