SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Saxophone Help - Looking for information on an old Sax
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Saxophone Help - Looking for information on an old Sax Login/Join 
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted
Hello!

Yesterday I retrieved a tenor saxophone from my mom's house. It's an old Evette-Schaeffer Buffett(?) model as far as I can tell.

Basically, my grandpa got it from his uncle, who supposedly got it in France during WWI. I have no idea if any of the stories surrounding it are true, but I did lug it around and play it in middle school, back in the mid-late 80s.

Ultimately I'd love to find out a little history on it, or at the very least figure out where and when it was made. Smile

I'm thinking about picking up the Sax again, as a hobby, so I brought it into a music shop to have them give it a once over to see if they could clean it up and replace the pads etc. They let me know that because of its age, the welds around some of the holes are failing, etc.

Anywho.

Does anyone have a recommendation for uploading photos somewhere? I keep forgetting that I can't use tinypic anymore.

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9160 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
Cool history of it. Is it worth repairing? Can it be?

https://www.google.com/search?...gAQE&sclient=gws-wiz

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38699 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
I have a Yvette-Shaffer tenor sax also. Am at work, but will upload some pics later on.

Posts: 11363 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
Being inspired by your historical sax does not mean you should waste money restoring it. There are dozens of functional student level instruments available online, used, and far better for your exploration.

Honoring our ancestors is best done with actions that declare that we appreciate and agree with their values, not their items. Music is a value, and worthy of great energy. It develops new mental strengths and creates joy in the player and the audience. Pursue with passion.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5057 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4MUL8R:
Being inspired by your historical sax does not mean you should waste money restoring it. There are dozens of functional student level instruments available online, used, and far better for your exploration.

Honoring our ancestors is best done with actions that declare that we appreciate and agree with their values, not their items. Music is a value, and worthy of great energy. It develops new mental strengths and creates joy in the player and the audience. Pursue with passion.

Totally fair. I have no intentions of spending thousands of dollars restoring this thing. I just want to know the history. Smile None of the Evette-Schaeffer saxes there on Ebay look similar, with regards to the scrollwork on the bell.

I need to get my signup email back from one of these stupid sites so I can post some pictures. Big Grin

EDIT: Found one that's similar, as it relates to the scrollwork, although mine is in MUCH better shape.

LINK

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9160 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post