SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Angostura Bitters. Uses besides Mixed Drinks?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Angostura Bitters. Uses besides Mixed Drinks? Login/Join 
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted
I picked up a bottle of bitters today to make some cocktails. Reading the bottle I was surprised to see it had recommendations for use other than adult beverages. I have never heard of it being used in anything but. Has anyone here used it for something different? Like in a salad?

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
I've only ever used it when making an Old Fashioned. I'm not sure I'm interested in trying it on food.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30442 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ChuckWall
posted Hide Post
Stomach upset, I think, is a use.

MAGA

Posts: 5689 | Registered: February 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Orange bitters seems to add a smoothness to my 5:1 martinis. They've also been used in vinaigrettes here. Smile

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16260 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I used to hang out with a guy who would always drink bitters an soda. It was actually sort of good.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I've used it to stop hiccups

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11309 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of NMPinNYC
posted Hide Post
Only used them in Manhattans... sipping one now...

Best regards,
Nick.

NRA Life Member and Certified Instructor

Posts: 710 | Location: Back in northern NJ/NY State Catskills | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
I've heard of it being used in marinades, but I've never had anything prepared with it.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16539 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:

If they occured after shore leave, you probably needed to see doc Wink

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NMPinNYC:
Only used them in Manhattans... sipping one now...

Occasional Manhattan for me too. Never occurred to me to look for other uses for the bitters

Posts: 13306 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of barndg00
posted Hide Post
My wife and I toured the “House of Angustura” where the bitters is made on our honeymoon. They are basically rum steeped with a ton of secret spices, hence why they keep effectively forever. The tour guide said people on the island used them over their morning eggs, in many other cocktails and certain fish dishes. I do like to add a few dashes of bitters to a Rum and Coke, knocks back the sweetness a bit and makes it a lot better to my palate. I’ve had the same bottle that we bought there for 17 years now (it is bigger than you typically find in the stores).

Posts: 2155 | Location: NC | Registered: January 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ChuckWall:
Stomach upset, I think, is a use.

Former professional bartender here. Always bartender in clubs though, which means I never made old fashioneds except for myself of course.

Bitters are awesome for tummy aches, alcohol induced and otherwise. I have a bottle that I keep just for that reason. Mix it with some ginger ale and sour stomach is gone.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mbinky:
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:

If they occured after shore leave, you probably needed to see doc Wink

Doc was all about issuing 800 motrin, some throat lozenges and telling us to hydrate

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11309 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Sounds like an Old-fashioned is in order for tonight.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30442 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post