SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Roof and Insurance folks a bit of your time please. UPDATE: Estimate on Page 3. How does it look?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Roof and Insurance folks a bit of your time please. UPDATE: Estimate on Page 3. How does it look? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
However, my state is a matching material state so what ever is replaced must match the old shingles exactly or a full replacement is then authorized.

^^^^^^^^^^^
Interesting. Mismatched roofs look terrible. It is almost impossible to match the color as it has faded with the sun and the elements. Have never heard of matching material states.

Posts: 17263 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
It seems to be a thing, new roofs. An area in MI had large hail this summer, now areas are getting full or partial payments for new roofs.

Several have newer roofs, under 15 years old, others older, that need replacement anyway.

I know one that just got over $13k, they kinda needed a new roof anyway. Much talk has been near $20k for the average new roof.

Posts: 6176 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I know one that just got over $13k, they kinda needed a new roof anyway. Much talk has been near $20k for the average new roof.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^
That is the current price. Of course, more hurricanes, shingle shortage, inflation and price goes up. Many have to wait a couple of years for replacement.

Posts: 17263 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
My last roof replacement was just under $19k in 2019, so it'd be over $20k in the current post-pandemic supply chain, high inflation economy.

And that's in an area with a comparatively low cost of living, and no special hurricane requirements. So bigger cities and coastal areas would likely be significantly over $20k on average.

Posts: 32546 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Glad my roof is not damaged to the point of water leaks or anything.

Everyone else on the street had a new roof installed within 2 weeks of filing their claim. They however have a different company.

I however have a small section repaired and the shingles are not even close in color.

Now we wait again to see what they are going to do about the mismatch.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25440 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
I however have a small section repaired and the shingles are not even close in color.

Now we wait again to see what they are going to do about the mismatch.

As expected. Like ZSMICHAEL stated earlier, it's basically impossible to match new shingles to many-year-old weathered and faded shingles.

Hopefully what you posted on the previous page is accurate and they'll soon be doing the rest of your roof: "what ever is replaced must match the old shingles exactly or a full replacement is then authorized"

Posts: 32546 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by frayedends:
No idea what state you are in. But Florida insurance companies won’t reinsure with a roof over 15 years old. They say fraudulent damage claims are to blame for that and the crazy high premiums. If you file a claim it can be hard to get reinsured. At least that’s what I’ve heard.
I’m surprised this isn’t more commonplace. The raking the insurance companies over the coals is one of the biggest scams that has been going for a long time.

I did a post about the crooks in the roofing business not too long ago.

Posts: 3930 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
It probably varies not only from company to company, but perhaps even from state to state.

Around here the insurer may only buy you half of a new roof due to damage, but it's usually one full side or the other. Not half of one side.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: a1abdj,

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15727 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Years ago my office roof needed replacing. My cheap ass landlord used leftover shingles that were brown in color for the back and black for the front. When I confronted him on that he said nobody would see the back roof from the highway. Well, thank God there was another hurricane and he had to replace the whole roof.

Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Leemur:
Absolutely go with architectural shingles. Three tab are only suitable for sheds and such IMO. We sell GAF and the HDZ version have limited lifetime material warranty and no maximum wind speed rating so long as the installer is GAF certified.

This is what we’ve used on literally hundreds of custom homes we’ve built. Even if you only had regular 3 tab shingles it would be worth it to pay for the upgrade out of pocket.
As for underpayment you probably had either 20# or 30# asphalt underlayment. I would strongly suggest getting synthetic underlayment (there are several good brands) as it doesn’t tear and has better UV protection.

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6332 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Here is the estimate that insurance has approved. However they said they do not cover step flashing. I don’t know what step flashing is so I am not sure if that is normal.
How does this estimate look and is there anything that I should upgrade? We plan to be here quite awhile.

————————————————

Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Finally got the roof done.
Upgraded to synthetic underlayment and also went up one level of quality shingle. Added 20 years of warranty and wind coverage of an extra 25th or wind.
All said and done out of pocket was just shy of $3k.
Granted took quite a awhile but it’s all done and should be good to go for quite some time.

————————————————

posted Hide Post
Good to hear. Keep good copies of your records and expenses not covered. Nice itemized statment. RMO a hospital bill. LOL

Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
Which is the other part of my question.
What should I be looking for in materials and options they offer?

-30 yr architectural shingle (owens corning, GAF, or similar)
-Ice and water shield (peel and stick flashing) in the valleys
-most likely replacement Ridge vent
-probably 3/4" OSB if they have to replace any decking

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10494 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post