SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Roof and Insurance folks a bit of your time please. UPDATE: Estimate on Page 3. How does it look?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Roof and Insurance folks a bit of your time please. UPDATE: Estimate on Page 3. How does it look? Login/Join 
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted
2 weeks ago buddy down the road was getting a new roof and then 2 days ago my neighbor was getting a new roof.
Talked to them both two days ago and both are getting replaced by insurance. Neighbor is a landlord and he is getting 4 of his rental properties done as well.
All due to wind and hail damage. He sends the fella over from his roofing company to which he has done business with for over 25 years.
He takes a bunch of pictures and says my roof is certainly damaged as well. Talked to another neighbor who had a bunch of painted circles on his roof. Sure enough he needs replaced to and that was determined by a 3rd company than the other 2.
Never done a homeowners claim and only a few vehicle claims over the last 24 years and they have all been smooth and simple.
Went to the agent today and they are going to setup an appointment with an adjuster but my agent says the pictures look more just like an old roof.
I am no roofing expert but the pictures certainly look like impact damage to me.
My agent asked if they looked at my siding and they mentioned nothing of it. She told me to look for damage. On the backside of the house also where most of the shingle damage is there are a bunch of holes in the siding about the size of a pencil eraser.
Also said to check the attic for water damage, but not had a chance to get up there yet.

Never done an insurance claim nor have I ever done a roof.
So what should I be prepared for in regard to insurance and if it does come to replace the roof what sort of materials and things I should I be sure they use?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Black92LX,

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25437 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
No idea what state you are in. But Florida insurance companies won’t reinsure with a roof over 15 years old. They say fraudulent damage claims are to blame for that and the crazy high premiums. If you file a claim it can be hard to get reinsured. At least that’s what I’ve heard.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12446 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It may make sense to pay a bit more for class 4 impact resistant shingles since that can result in insurance discounts.

Posts: 2370 | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Deal with an accomplished adjuster and go from there. I have done this on three occasions. An adjuster will walk the roof and take pictures. You then talk to your roofer. You let the adjuster do their thing and stay out of their way. A good one will find things you failed to notice. You will be paid according to your homeowners policy which may depreciate your roof.
The agent is NOT the expert. The adjuster is.

Posts: 17263 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
I’m in the “roofing business”, but only for friends and family. I have a great sub that I use that runs a few crews. He’s probably forgotten more about roofing this week than I’ve known my entire life, but I repeat what he says and sound super smart.

Around here you would generally want your experienced roofer to meet your adjuster at your property when they come out.

Also, if insurance is paying for claims on homes around yours, absent an old roof, you’ll have a claim on yours as well.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15727 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:
I’m in the “roofing business”, but only for friends and family. I have a great sub that I use that runs a few crews. He’s probably forgotten more about roofing this week than I’ve known my entire life, but I repeat what he says and sound super smart.

Around here you would generally want your experienced roofer to meet your adjuster at your property when they come out.

Also, if insurance is paying for claims on homes around yours, absent an old roof, you’ll have a claim on yours as well.

The roofer that came to the house said that he would meet the adjuster at my house.

————————————————

posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This. Good advice here. I have never been able to get both at the same time because it is hurricane damage and thousands need a new roof.

Posts: 17263 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
My expectation would be my insurance agent would be holding my hand through the process. It's not like he was your insurance agent all these years as a favor to you and that you shouldn't bother him at all.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19695 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:
My expectation would be my insurance agent would be holding my hand through the process. It's not like he was your insurance agent all these years as a favor to you and that you shouldn't bother him at all.

Yup. Was in their office this afternoon going over things and talked to the home office claims department with them.
She lined everything up for the adjuster to contact me and I sent her all the pictures for her to add to the claims file.

————————————————

Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Some roofing companies want you to assign your claim to them, they will take 100% of the amount the carrier will pay, stay away from them, they overcharge and under perform.

Find a good local long term roofer with good reviews. Check out who's doing your neighbors, since they are there getting a few bids is important.

Posts: 23553 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Never happened to me EVER. Of course it is usually after a major hurricane. THeir office has no power and sometimes their roof is gone. You call an 800 number and wait. After a week an adjuster calls you and shows up three months later. {Unless your house is completely gone and it is quicker.} Besides your insurance agent is not an expert in roofing damage etc.
I like my agent and do a lot of business with him, and he does advise me on proper coverage.

Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
Some roofing companies want you to assign your claim to them, they will take 100% of the amount the carrier will pay, stay away from them, they overcharge and under perform.

Find a good local long term roofer with good reviews. Check out who's doing your neighbors, since they are there getting a few bids is important.

My neighbor who has been a landlord for nearly 50 years now has been using this company for over 25 years now and did his house when he built it 16 years ago and this weeks replacement for his personal residence and 4 rentals.

————————————————

posted Hide Post
Yeah you have a good reference. There is a lot of sneaky stuff a roofer can do to cut corners. Living where I do I am experienced in watching crews. The office complex where I rent was damaged by Zeta two years ago. They were even out there Christmas day. Took off the felt, replaced spongy OSB used quality architectural shingles and put the requiste number of nails in.
BTW try to get ALL the roofing cleats. Check the downspouts after the first rain. In spite of that I got a flat two months later.Post some pics when it is done.

safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:

Shysters aside.....

Every roofing company will take 100% of what the insurance will pay. That's how insurance works. If your insurer says you have a $30,000 claim, and you find a company to do the work for $25,000, then you'll get a $25,000 check. This is assuming you have a replacement cost policy. Otherwise, you'll get the depreciated value only, and it will be up to you to cover the difference between the insurance payment and the actual cost.

Although the money is a somewhat fixed point, what you're buying with it is not. Better shingles, better underlayment, better flashing materials are all areas where you can end up with more than what you started with if your roofer is in the mood to negotiate. In today's climate I wouldn't hold my breath, but I would also still ask. Doesn't hurt.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15727 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Which is the other part of my question.
What should I be looking for in materials and options they offer?

————————————————

Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
So how old is your roof?

I have had people looking for work claim I had siding and roof damage in past years after a hail storm.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 41:
So how old is your roof?

I have had people looking for work claim I had siding and roof damage in past years after a hail storm.

15 years same as the other 2 replaced in the last couple weeks. Apparently we had quite the documented storm a couple months back.

Most of the other houses on the street had their roofs replaced 3 summers ago I believe because they all had some sort of shingle that was recalled and insurances were just replacing them even after the recall/class action (maybe) money ran out.
There were 3 houses on the street mine included that were built by a different builder who did not use the recalled shingles.

————————————————

safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
What should I be looking for in materials and options they offer?

If you like the guy your neighbor is using, I'd ask what he had put on his. Like most other things, the guys who sell/install tend to have brands that they prefer.

Atlas, Certainteed, GAF, IKO, Malarkey, Owens Corning, & Tamko are all large asphalt shingle manufacturers. Beyond the quality of the product, it's availability may be another factor.

My sub prefers to install OC or Certainteed.

I have done both my roof and my mother's roof somewhat recently. Both are Certainteed Landmark Pro.

www.zykansafe.com

posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
All excellent advice. I have seen roofs with quality shingles leak within a year due to shoddy installation. Flashing is important. I also have a discussion about heavy trucks on the lawn. Are you in snow country?? I am not so ice dams are not a concern. You are lucky that you get to take your time with this. Roofs damaged two years ago are still being repaired in my area.

Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
Absolutely go with architectural shingles. Three tab are only suitable for sheds and such IMO. We sell GAF and the HDZ version have limited lifetime material warranty and no maximum wind speed rating so long as the installer is GAF certified.

Posts: 13746 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post