SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Tankless Water Heater ... Appreciate Any Advice
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tankless Water Heater ... Appreciate Any Advice Login/Join 
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Standard for new construction around here. I like mine. My neighbors like theirs. Haven't had any problems in the 5 years I've had it. Flush exchanger with vinegar once a year.

Posts: 13051 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
We had one installed when we built our home back in 2006. Rennai (sp?). We like it, but with a couple caveats:

1) check your max distance to the heater. Ours is a bit far away so it takes it a minute to heat up to shower temps.

2) depending on your size home, you might want to get 2 to begin with. We did not, and I regret it. Our 2 story home uses just one, and while nobody EVER has run out of hot water (even with several showers going), the wait to warm up the water is longest for our master bath (furthest bathroom from the unit). This was due to my budget constraints and overruns at the time of construction.

I guess that both points are kinda the same thing now that I read it...

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6390 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have two Noritz units, one on each side of the house, that was installed on a new construction. The delay in hot water delivery is minimal. I do have pretty hard municipal water so I flush my units twice a year which I perform myself—pretty simple even I can do it. I love everything about it and don’t miss traditional water heater tanks one bit.

Posts: 597 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: September 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We have a Rinnai in the house that we bought almost two years ago. It was serviced today. Technician said the squirrel cage fan was full of bugs that were sucked in through 5he intake side of the exhaust pipe. Very common according to him. We like the Rinnai, and it is the first tankless we have had. Sen a lot of electric ones installed in hospitals to solve hot water issues at the end of extended runs. We would do a tankless again.

Jim

Posts: 1349 | Location: Southern Black Hills | Registered: September 14, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Regarding the long warm up times, you can get a recirculating pump. Many of the new, larger, houses have them installed here but you can retrofit it. You hit a button (one installed by in the kitchen and one installed in the master bath) and it recirculates the water for a short period of time to "pre-heat" the water in the lines.

Basically, you hit the switch on your way to the toilet, and by the time you are ready to brush your teeth or turn on the shower, the line is already warm.

Edit: Some water heaters have the recirculation pump built in.

Posts: 13051 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
I want to thank Mr. Steed for starting this thread topic! I plan on building a new home within (hopefully) the next 2-3 years and this has given me some GREAT ideas on what to do in terms of installing a tankless system during the build. Great group of folks we've got here...tanks everyone!!! Big Grin

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of barndg00
posted Hide Post
I've considered, but am hesitant to change. Been in our house for 8 years now, with a 50gal NG heater, gas bills about $25/mo in the summer (water heater and gas cooktop use during that time). Water costs here are rediculous, in that our sewer charges are twice what our water is, about $300 per month. Already, our kitchen sink has seems to be the longest to get hot water, about a minute - extending that time (and wasting significant amounts of water) would seem counter productive to simply replacing with another reasonably efficient tank water heater. Retrofitting a loop to allow hot water circulation to the taps would probably be cost prohibitive as well, but I'd love to hear about others following this option.

Posts: 2155 | Location: NC | Registered: January 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by barndg00:
I've considered, but am hesitant to change. Been in our house for 8 years now, with a 50gal NG heater, gas bills about $25/mo in the summer (water heater and gas cooktop use during that time). Water costs here are rediculous, in that our sewer charges are twice what our water is, about $300 per month. Already, our kitchen sink has seems to be the longest to get hot water, about a minute - extending that time (and wasting significant amounts of water) would seem counter productive to simply replacing with another reasonably efficient tank water heater. Retrofitting a loop to allow hot water circulation to the taps would probably be cost prohibitive as well, but I'd love to hear about others following this option.

You might be able to install a small tankless under the kitchen sink that would give you hot water at the kitchen sink in seconds. I'd investigate that route given your situation. A lot of restaurants use them in their customer restrooms.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post