SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How much food and supplies do you keep on hand?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How much food and supplies do you keep on hand? Login/Join 
posted
I live alone. Never considered myself a prepper but I got to thinking, my fridge and freezer
in the kitchen is always packed full. Freezer downstairs is full. Pantry is full of canned and boxed goods.
I bought a six month supply of the food that has a twenty five year shelf life. 50 gallons of fresh water, 8 twenty
pound tanks of propane, 20k of ammo, all my old camping gear, a fresh gallon of white fuel for lantern, lots of batteries,
lifestraw water filters. I need first aid supplies and a generator. My son mocks me for having so much food. I said
when the shit hits the fan, you and your brother get your ass home. Am I crazy?
What say you?

Posts: 1325 | Location: Mason, Ohio | Registered: September 16, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Never considered myself a prepper

Sounds like you are to me. Crazy? No. Smile

Q

Posts: 27512 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
More than I used to

Posts: 109045 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
My family consists of three of us. I probably have about the same amount of emergency type food (close to six months) and equipment to prepare it. Four 55 gallon drums of treated water are in the garage. Got a blaster or two and some bullets.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 7065 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
We don’t buy “prepper food” per se, but at any given time we have roughly a 6 month supply of food on hand between stocked freezer, dry goods, bottled beverages/water.

Not necessarily intentional, I just buy in quantity when there are sales. ITEOTWAWKI happens, we might not be eating what we want, but we’ll eat.

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 11220 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dry-fly:
Four 55 gallon drums of treated water are in the garage.

I was looking for containers for long term storage of water. I have a reverse osmosis system and
cycle through one gallon jugs. What do you use for drums? A special kind of plastic?

Posts: 1325 | Location: Mason, Ohio | Registered: September 16, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No More
Mr. Nice Guy
posted Hide Post
My main concern here is extended power loss during the winter. The BLM Summer of Love made me focus more on civil unrest and how to better secure my home. I would say we're soft-core preppers, anticipating a typical weather caused emergency lasting a month or less, with some reserves beyond that.

We keep about 1 month of normal foods that we eat every day. Not including perishables like bread, meat, and dairy which we had at a week of in the fridge and another week in the freezer. Then there is another 2 months of canned tuna, chicken, and salmon along with extra oatmeal, granola, pasta, rice, and canned vegetables and fruit. Plenty of snack bars and chocolate for enjoyment and calories.

A month of drinking water in 5 gallon "water cubes". Smaller containers are portable, and if one fails it is only a small % of our supply.

At least a couple months of coffee, sugar, tea, and hot chocolate mix.

First aid and medical supplies.

Candles, batteries, a variety of flashlights, solar and crank powered radios.

Fire starting supplies.

Several camp stoves and fuel for a month. Camp coffee bean hand cranked grinder and french press.

Defensive tools and supplies.

Posts: 9726 | Location: On the mountain off the grid | Registered: February 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
I used to have about 4 months worth stashed away just in case. I started eating that down 2 years ago prior to moving out of Oregon, as I didn't want to have to move it. I've been here for a year and a half now and I'm gradually rebuilding that stock, a little each time I hit the grocery store. I've only got two mouths to feed and one of them is of the furry 4-legged variety. I'm getting there.

Posts: 7399 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
Two meals worth. If something happens, my government will surely come to my side and take care of any issues I may have. I fully trust and believe in my Gov’t to have my best interests in mind.

Now that the NSA is smoked off:
I have several weeks of nearly everything.
Mainly because I grew up in the country. It is just how we used to live.
Also, the older I get, the less I like going to town.

Posts: 6345 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hudr:
Two meals worth. If something happens, my government will surely come to my side and take care of any issues I may have. I fully trust and believe in my Gov’t to have my best interests in mind.

Shirley you jest Smile

Cruising the
Highway to Hell
Picture of 95flhr
posted Hide Post
We have a few months worth that we keep on hand. Also fuel for generator that can get us through a month or two. Need that to keep the well pump providing water.

I’m confident, if absolutely needed, we could get through 6 months without hitting a store.

“Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.”
― Ronald Reagan

Retired old fart

Posts: 6528 | Location: Near the Beaverdam in VA | Registered: February 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Six weeks did me fine through the last mayhem.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 55175 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Have four of these.

https://waterprepared.com/prod...n-water-storage-tank

They aren’t cheap and I didn’t buy them all at once. There’s also a site, Auguson Farms I think, that has more no frills barrels.

quote:
Originally posted by Schmelby:
quote:
Originally posted by dry-fly:
Four 55 gallon drums of treated water are in the garage.

I was looking for containers for long term storage of water. I have a reverse osmosis system and
cycle through one gallon jugs. What do you use for drums? A special kind of plastic?

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 7065 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm not a Doomsday prepper. I am a ten-year-event prepper. Everyone should be ready to handle an event that is likely to occur at some point. Like a power failure, or loss of water service.

Posts: 325 | Location: Virginia | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Funny you should ask.
I just placed an order to the LDS online store this afternoon.
In 2022 we bought some LDS cans which should last for 30 years:
hard red winter wheat berries, 3 months worth
Pinto beans 1 case
Quick oats 1 case
Macaroni 1 case
Dried apples 1 case.

Today I added:
granulated sugar 1 case
Regular oatmeal 1 case
White rice 1 case
Dried carrots 1 case

These are to replace supplies we bought at Costco in 2022. Since they are not packed in sealed cans with oxygen absorbers, they are going to go bad. I'd rather pay the money for LDS stuff, not have to pack food into mylar bags with O2 absorbers myself. It's taking up too much space in the garage!

We also have at least 1 case of MRE's; some assorted freeze-dried meals.

I'd say we probably have food for 4 months, maybe 6.

However we don't have adequate water stored; we do have an RO filter. Somewhere I think I have a water bob to collect water in the bathtub.

Entropy gradually dissolves our carefully ordered plans. And normal life demands we not fill our garage with food that's going bad and will no longer be good in a year or so.

Posts: 18351 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
I have enough food to last 3 to 4 months for my family of 3.

I live rurally, and have 3 dug wells and one drilled well on property so water storage is not required.

My freezer is filled with a half side of beef and pig each year, with supplies on hand to pressure can or salt the meat if power were to go out long term.

My wife used to think it was a bit much, then after the covid shutdown, realized how fragile the supply lines really are. She now sees the benefit of having stock on hand.

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3384 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post