SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Bob Newhart has passed away.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bob Newhart has passed away. Login/Join 
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted
Bob Newhart passed away he was 94.

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2632 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
Wow. One of the funniest guys ever!

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3792 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I was thinking about Bob just a couple of days ago, and yes, he was a genuinely funny man. I watched The Bob Newhart Show when it aired on CBS in the 1970s (paired with The Mary Tyler Moore Show), and I was also a faithful fan of Newhart in the 1980s.

Posts: 108937 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tuckerrnr1
posted Hide Post
Always enjoyed his work.

Posts: 5897 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Barbarian at the Gate
Picture of Belwolf
posted Hide Post
Just saw this online. Truly a great comedic talent. Ninety-four years old, heck of a run.

Best series finale ever with Newhart.

“Posterity! You will never know how much it cost the present Generation to preserve your Freedom! I hope you will make good use of it. If you do not, I shall repent in Heaven, that I ever took half the Pains to preserve it.”
― John Adams

"Fire can be our friend; whether it's toasting marshmallows, or raining down on Charlie."
- Principal Skinner.

Posts: 4383 | Location: Thonotosassa, FL | Registered: February 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I was thinking of him just the other day - happened to see an old photo of Suzanne Pleshette and was thinking about what an unlikely couple they were on the show

a truly funny gentleman

one of my favorite skits...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0SICqoBevs

Posts: 53750 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
My dad brought home what I believe to be his first comedy album, The Button Down Mind of Bob Newhart, sometime back in the 60s. If you’ll indulge me with one of the bits from it.

He was funny, he was clean, he was great as a tv actor too.

Posts: 13547 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
"Hi, Bob!"

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12641 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
One of my all-time favs. He was so deadpan compared with a lot of other comedians of his time. He could make you laugh without using a single cuss word.

The final scene of Newhart:

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16823 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
Damn, he was a really funny guy. I also watched him in the 70's and loved his appearances on the Big Bang Theory.

Posts: 3537 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Button Down Mind" was perhaps the first LP my family owned for our then-new Hi-Fi. We played it so much that listening to USS Codfish, I remembered every line as if it was played yesterday.

Oh, and "DONT' PULL OUT!!!"

This message has been edited. Last edited by: newtoSig765,

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9361 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
As a kid, a big fan of Mary Tyler Moore followed by Bob Newhart. Great comedian, he lived a full life.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 17128 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Deadpan is right, if he didn’t invent it he sure did perfect it. Sad to hear.
Godspeed Sir…

Mike

Posts: 395 | Location: NE Kansas | Registered: March 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
This is my brother Darryl and this is my other brother Darryl. Scenes from my youth.

RIP sir.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12907 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I thought the ending to the Newhart show was among the best I've ever seen!
I also liked his performance in 1962's "Hell is for Heros" as Pvt Driscoll; he got to do one of his 'telephone' routines and it worked very well in the film.
I thought it was very nice of the "NCIS" writers to have him do a 'telephone' number in the 2011 episode where he played Dr. Magnus. It was a sad and poignant episode with his character developing dementia.

Posts: 343 | Location: Nevada | Registered: May 12, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
I was thinking about Bob just a couple of days ago, and yes, he was a genuinely funny man. I watched The Bob Newhart Show when it aired on CBS in the 1970s (paired with The Mary Tyler Moore Show), and I was also a faithful fan of Newhart in the 1980s.

Me too. I always remember Howard, the insecure airline captain. And the British guy and his kippers. Two days ago I opened a tin of King Oscar Kipper Snacks, which reminded me of him.

At the time I lived in the Twin Cities, which was Mary Tyler Moore-ville.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9410 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do---or do not.
There is no try.
posted Hide Post
Really a big loss. He was really a comic genius and by all accounts a great person.

Posts: 4556 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:

I currently watch both on cable every night. Great stuff!

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3792 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sauer Kraut
posted Hide Post
His humor always hit just right for me. One of the best for sure.

Posts: 746 | Location: Middle (of nowhere) Georgia  | Registered: December 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
He had a good series of appearances on the Big Bang Theory, too!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16364 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post