SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    HPD officers armed with AR-15s at Houston airports
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

HPD officers armed with AR-15s at Houston airports Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
If something happened at that airport, some of you guys would be saying "Why weren't the police better armed?"

Yes they would, probably the same guys who think all cops are assholes because they got a ticket for a traffic violation.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Seeing a police officer carrying a rifle in an airport these days, I wouldn't bat an eye, wouldn't feel the need to question the reason.

Perhaps we have some gun owners in this forum. They would understand better, I think.

Airports, streets, doesn't bother me at all.

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Anyplace large groups of people gather are soft targets.

The police already having rifles, in their hands, while patrolling these soft targets is wise.

It is easier to respond appropriately, if say, Little Jihadi drives a truck into a crowd at the exit doors to baggage; or he wanders into the ticketing level and starts hacking at citizens minding their own business, with an axe/machete/butcher knife.

So yeah I'm not going to be concerned about it one bit.

But I also don't fly because of the Kabuki Theater the TSA is running on the citizens...so my chance of seeing an armed officer with a rifle is slim and none.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11290 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Went to Germany many years ago and there were lots of them carrying rifles in the airport.

I was in the pits at the NASCAR Cup race in Homestead FL last Sunday and there were SWAT teams in full armour/gear carrying rifles patrolling around. It seems everyone had a team, FBI, Sheriff, Police, and surprisingly, even the FHP.

Posts: 1335 | Registered: October 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No ethanol!
posted Hide Post
Wouldn't it make sense that last few years there are always some officers w/ long guns present behind closed doors, and every once in a while they do a random reminder or show by patrolling in public spaces?

------------------
The plural of anecdote is not data. -Frank Kotsonis

Posts: 2009 | Location: Berks Co PA | Registered: December 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
I saw it in the ATL airport two years ago. Other than mentally noting there were police carrying AR-15s in the airport pre TSA checkpoint, it had zero impact on me or my actions.

If I recall correctly, this was near the same time that a person thought it would be wise to carry their AR-15 into the ATL airport because law didn't specifically prohibit it.

Hadn't thought about it until now.

Posts: 3573 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
I've got to wake up at 05:15 tomorrow morning so I can be on the parade route with one all morning.

My usual get-off-work time is 02:00. Mad

For perspective, my agency has something around 250 officers certified on the ARs, but less than 100 rifles currently in the field due to cost. Maybe half those are actually being carried at any given time in the city. It's not a lot.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11449 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
I've seen this at many airports including those armed with AR's, MP5's, etc. I welcome it since I am disarmed in the airport.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7072 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
I'd much prefer most anyone could walk around with one without a second thought.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
The police should always be armed with AR's at airports, and other high threat targets as deemed necessary.

Posts: 13682 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
ARs are difficult to CC IWB.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sound and Fury
Picture of Dallas239
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fenris:
ARs are difficult to CC IWB.
You need to get a better holster and a quality belt.

"I've spoken of the shining city all my political life, but I don't know if I ever quite communicated what I saw when I said it. But in my mind it was a tall proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, wind-swept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace, a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity, and if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here." -- Ronald Reagan, Farewell Address, Jan. 11, 1989

Si vis pacem para bellum
There are none so blind as those who refuse to see.
Feeding Trolls Since 1995

Posts: 18040 | Registered: February 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Next time I go to work I'm gonna talk to 'em to see what their ammo load is, what brand they're carrying, chit chat about shooting, and just have a blast. Jeezus guys...some of you need to make lemonade out of lemons, eh?

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
I'm kool with it. Long as I get to have what they have, we kool. I don't mind not being armed at the airport as long as they are and their ranks are well vetted absent PC.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29710 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
you can always offer to lend them some ammo - nothing says Merry Christmas like a 30-round Magpul and jacketed holow points

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53195 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
Well, anyone who's flown through Europe knows that officers with long guns is a very common sight. I'm all for it frankly.

It was a few years ago, I think shortly after the Bataclan attack that we flew across the US and I saw the local PD at the airport we had a layover patrolling with slung AR's. The first thing I thought was "it's about damn time." My next thought was a hope that it would soon become the norm to see police armed with carbines or rifles of some sort at all the soft target places you generally tend to see police at anyway.

I've had family in the police business on both sides going back to the 30's. Most of the tools of the trade that they carried have been passed down in the family, and the tools have changed a lot over the years. Rifles have a valid place in the toolbox, imo.

Posts: 17161 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost Allman Brother
Picture of S600MBUSA
posted Hide Post
Atlanta Police at Hartsfield Airport have had them for at least a year or two. When I was flying not long after the Brussels attack last year, I noticed more officers with ARs patrolling the area around check-in and some in "overwatch" positions above areas where lines were forming. Their ARs had suppressors and ACOGs, IIRC.

-Winston Churchill, writing of the Pashtun

Posts: 3989 | Location: Holly Springs/Canton, GA | Registered: November 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
I have no problem with it... as long as they are receiving and maintaining their training. The photos of officers with their eotech's mounted backwards and magazines loaded backwards are too large to pollute the thread with...
As long as they are maintaining their proficiency, conditioning and training on weapons retention then I have no quibble.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5647 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
Holiday traffic about to kick into high gear. Terrorism on the rise. That's why. Why such a big deal? They're not randomly stopping and frisking you.

It does not bother me in the least too.

Posts: 22918 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I saw one (of many) officers at Charlotte carrying a rifle last month. Gave me a (legitimate) warm and fuzzy feeling.

Posts: 5164 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Blue Machine
Picture of Phred
posted Hide Post
I flew into the Atlanta airport about a month ago. Upon leaving the "secured" area, we passed a police officer sitting at a podium. The officer who was sitting there was an overweight female officer who looked like she couldn't fight her way out of a wet paper bag.

After we collected our luggage from the baggage claim area, we passed another police officer on our way out of the building. This officer appeared to be in very good physical condition, and was carrying a suppressed AR-15. I couldn't help but laugh at the disparity of the two officers-one likely to be more of a hazard than help to anyone, and the second gave me reason to feel somewhat secure.

Posts: 1626 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: February 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post