SIGforum
Need some help from the mechanics. Jeep patriot transmission issues.

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/320601935/m/1930053994

March 13, 2023, 04:15 AM
wolfe 21
Need some help from the mechanics. Jeep patriot transmission issues.
Trying to figure out a jeep patriot for a friend. 2014 2.4l 5speed manual trans 4 wheel drive. Says it likes to pop out of gear in first and second on a regular enough basis to be concerning. High mileage car, but I'm not sure exactly how much. Over 65k or he wouldn't have it. Any ideas why this is happening? Easy fix? I've seen everything from clutch and synchros to not knowing how to drive a manual trans blamed online.

So, from what I can find it's a Venture T355 trans. This is a known issue and generally accepted to be a garbage trans for bad bearing design, synchro issues and likely to fail in spectacular ways that will crack/window the case... If under warranty, replacement seems to be the prefered solution I've found online.

Question is, can we swap an 08 FWD trans into an all wheel drive car assuming the same t355 is used in both? What I've found so far leads me to say it's a definite maybe, but not worth the hassle in my opinion.

Tldr: can I swap an 08 fwd transmission into a
14 4wd car, assuming both use a similar NV T355 manual transmission?

A Perpetual Disappointment...
March 13, 2023, 07:01 AM
calugo
Why not just buy a rebuilt or remanufactured transmission that's correct for the car. Or call a salvage yard and find a transmission from a wreaked patriot.
March 13, 2023, 07:19 AM
Mars_Attacks
Just get a rebuilt transmission and bolt the PTU back on the new one.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.
March 13, 2023, 11:32 AM
wolfe 21
That would be preferable, but have been unable to source a rebuilt or good used trans. Best I've been able to find was about $3k for an unguaranteed used trans. Seems to be a rare or desireable trans because of how often they require replacement and how few vehicles were built in this configuration.

March 13, 2023, 11:43 AM
sourdough44
https://www.jeeppatriot.com/th...ion-problems.268434/

Usually a manual tranny is more trouble free than an auto Tran. Seems to be a thing with the Patriot. For some reason, Chrysler hasn’t done well with transmission, going back decades.
March 13, 2023, 11:50 AM
BigSwede
Blow it in place with tannerite

Sorry if that's not helpful

March 13, 2023, 11:51 AM
HRK
Pull it and take to a good trans shop and have rebuilt.

March 13, 2023, 12:24 PM
egregore
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
Pull it and take to a good trans shop and have rebuilt.
If, and that's a mighty big if, parts are available.
March 14, 2023, 02:38 AM
wolfe 21
Yeah, that is the second option currently available. Only one local shop will work on manuals, so we'll see what they say.
This is why I am not a Chrysler fan. Too many known issue with no fix.