SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I Don't Keep My Bear Spray in the Oven Like These Dudes
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I Don't Keep My Bear Spray in the Oven Like These Dudes Login/Join 
Picture of mcrimm
posted
Read in the Flathead Beacon:

Montana Home Evacuated After Bear Spray Explodes in Oven It's unclear why the bear spray was in the oven BY ASSOCIATED PRESS // DEC 16, 2019 BOZEMAN — Authorities say a home in southern Montana was evacuated after a can of bear spray exploded in a warming oven. Graver Johnson, battalion chief with the Bozeman Fire Department, says three fire engines were sent to the home Tuesday because it was initially thought that the structure was on fire. The explosion was contained in the oven, and firefighters used fans to air out the building. The Bozeman Daily Chronicle reports it’s unclear why the bear spray was in the oven, and three men who live at the home declined to comment. No injuries were reported. Bear spray contains capsaicin, the chemical found in hot peppers, and other capsaicinoids. It’s meant to ward off charging bears or other dangerous animals.

Source

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4275 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I keep spray paint in the oven, but bear spray is just dumb. Wink

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
Everyone knows the oven is for ammo and grenades, not freaking bear spray.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Rookies. Bear spray is best served medium rare.

Light bender eye mender

Posts: 415 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: July 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
Important safety tip; bear spray is not bear repellent and should not be used like mosquito repellent.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11884 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
We had a small kitchen in one building where I worked in the basement and someone wanted hot sauce on the bugger. So the guy at the grill wasn't thinking and squired some on the burger and once it hit the grill it vaporized and cleared the room. Big Grin

Posts: 11889 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
I was laughing just from the thread title. I read the post and now I’m just about dyin’ over here. “...the three men who live at the home declined to comment.” Yeah, little wonder. Big Grin

I guess I get the logic of “hiding” valuables in the oven if you’re living in an apartment and have limited choices on where to put them when you’re not around. Even then, it doesn’t work out all that well sometimes, like when my sister decided to pre-heat her laptop in college. But bear spray?

Posts: 17622 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe it was Olé Chuck Darwin that said "Stupidity should be painful".

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8522 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
posted Hide Post
Three dudes living together? Willing to bet one knew the other would be cooking ans so he pranked him with it.

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
You've got to love it. No I don't have any bear spray, but then we don't have many bears around here-abouts. Big Grin Ok, ovens are for cooking good stuff, not long term storage of anything. Reference the rule about stupidity in the above post. My wife buys and uses various bug sprays if she even see's tracks of insects. So its not how you use bear spray? Around the foundation and doors to keep them out? Big Grin Big Grin Yogi won't be stealing pies off the window sill.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18394 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2000Z-71:
Important safety tip; bear spray is not bear repellent and should not be used like mosquito repellent.

Okay. Alright, important safety tip. Thanks Egon.

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 2070 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would venture to guess that alcohol may have been involved in the storage decision making process.

Posts: 17253 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rev. A. J. Forsyth:
Three dudes living together? Willing to bet one knew the other would be cooking ans so he pranked him with it.

That is the first thing that came to my mind.

Posts: 747 | Location: Vermont | Registered: February 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Loswsmith:
quote:
Originally posted by 2000Z-71:

Okay. Alright, important safety tip. Thanks Egon.

Ok, I lost it. Hard. Big Grin

Posts: 17622 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RaiseHal
posted Hide Post
My cousin put a bunch of plastic stuff in her oven for storage, forgot it , started the oven, and almost burned her house down. TWICE!!!!!

It's a shame that youth is wasted on the young --- Mark Twain

Anyone who is not a liberal by age 20 has no heart; anyone who is not a conservative by age 40 has no brain---Winston Churchill

Posts: 4650 | Location: The Free State of Georgia | Registered: August 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
it’s unclear why the bear spray was in the oven

To convert it from bear repellent into firefighter attractant?

Posts: 15143 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
"It's unclear why the bear spray was in the oven"

What. You want bears in your oven?

Posts: 2654 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by copaup:
What. You want bears in your oven?

Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
I had a customer who had a second oven installed in his basement to rent out the basement. His family grew and it became his son's room. He also had a computer hobby. For some reason he decided to store hard drives, motherboards, RAM, and various cards in said oven.

He had a main breaker fail in his house. To save ruining his electrical panel, I disconnected one of the legs to his panel at the meter, so he was only getting 120v to half the house, no 240v. Came back a couple days later to replace his breaker.

Everything went smooth, installed the breaker, got power restored. This was July and 90+ out. They had been at this point 6-7 days with limited power. Turn all breakers on, test A/C, no damage from failed breaker! Good news cold air finally.

Went out to fill out paperwork. Came back in to the smell of an electrical fire. Pull panel cover, run through house looking all over for source of the smell. Determine it's coming from the basement. He says "oh shit, did you turn on the bottom left breaker?" "Yes."

He neglected to tell me that he had a oven he no longer used that he repurposed to store computer components. Run back downstairs, kill breaker. We move a pallet full of junk he has piled in front of oven door. Open the door and the worst smell comes out I have ever smelled.

Having no clue what kind of chemicals are being release, I tell him I can't help any more, there is no active fire, just lots of smoke. Told him to get kids out the house and open all windows. Man that was the worst smell ever.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 21107 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post