SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    My Weekend Workout
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My Weekend Workout Login/Join 
Keeping the economy moving since 1964
Picture of chbibc
posted
My firewood addiction is well documented. This weekend I'll be cutting some fairly sizeable logs. I don't belong to a gym; I work out with 30" diameter ash trees. Smile

-----------------------
You can't fall off the floor.

Posts: 8532 | Location: Rochester, NY behind enemy lines | Registered: March 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
You plan on splitting it manually, or with a hydraulic splitter?

Depending on the answer, that'd be a big difference in overall workout. Big Grin

Posts: 32548 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of chbibc
posted Hide Post
Splitter. Splitting by hand is a helluva workout but moving around sections of a 30" log is a workout as well. Smile

-----------------------

Posts: 8532 | Location: Rochester, NY behind enemy lines | Registered: March 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spectemur Agendo
Picture of brecaidra
posted Hide Post
I used to enjoy splitting with a maul sometimes, but then the neighbor guy started standing on his deck, watching me and drinking beer, and occasionally shouting helpful things like, "That's it! Hit it again, honey!"
We ended up going hydraulic.

SIGforum's triple minority

"It can't rain all the time." - Eric Draven

Posts: 16993 | Location: IA | Registered: May 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One of those guys that " goes with the phloem "
Smile

Cedar Rapids Iowa , they need you there.
Thousands of trees down from giant wind storm.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54689 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of chbibc
posted Hide Post
Your "phloem" comment - Ugh! What a woody dicot-omy!

I can speak biology too!

-----------------------

posted Hide Post
That leaves me uneasy Big Grin

Posts: 54689 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by brecaidra:
I used to enjoy splitting with a maul sometimes, but then the neighbor guy started standing on his deck, watching me and drinking beer, and occasionally shouting helpful things like, "That's it! Hit it again, honey!"
We ended up going hydraulic.

Big Grin

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just heard this today.
My 58 y.o. cousin had been processing firewood from his timber for 24 years.
Roughly five cords every year.
Felling limbing ,bucking, splitting stacking the whole Poughkeepsie.

Last week might end it.
He spent four days in the hospital after his leg and the chainsaw got tangled up.

Two days after he was home infection decided to chime in.

Last I heard he will be out of work for 8 weeks and a bunch of rehab.
Be
Careful and safe
Out there

posted Hide Post
^ A friend of my father cut and sold wood for a living. I assisted this gentleman (on behalf of my dad) in stacking and loading wood for a winter’s burning season. I have never seen such a dangerous man with a chainsaw in my life. How he lived to an old age is beyond me. Either he had a guardian angel or he was one of the luckiest men on the face of the earth.

Posts: 797 | Location: NW North Carolina | Registered: November 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chbibc:
Your "phloem" comment - Ugh! What a woody dicot-omy!

I can speak biology too!

Those puns...should be considered an (aux)Sin!

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post