SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Apple friends... I need some help, please.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Apple friends... I need some help, please. Login/Join 
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrbill345:
To delete an application, the Mac OS will ask for the administrator password for the Mac.

I've hit "stall mode" now. Mrs D gave me the password (assuming it's the right one... it's the same one we used Wednesday night) but the system doesn't seem to like it when attempting to delete Kaspersky. I'll have to wait until she gets back to town, I suppose, and consult her "master password list." Wink

Thank you for the app recommendation. I'll look into it.

- - - - -

Photos:

I connected my iPod Touch to the Mac by USB, and transferring photos was easy. Connecting her iPhone when she gets back should be just as easy.

I tried getting Mac and iPod to see each other by Bluetooth to see if I could transfer files that way (cable-free), but didn't have success. Maybe I'm missing something still.

- - - - -

Linking:

Dr. T, I certainly understand the convenience you mention. At the same time, I think I see why Mrs D's sister wants to have her devices unlinked. Her Mac gets shared some (grandkids) and she doesn't want her incoming messages and calls showing up on the Mac any more than she wants their tinkerings showing up on her phone. Given that, I still need to find out how to unlink her devices.

Go Hokies, indeed! Smile (Currently quite unhappy the university has decided to screw with the logo. The should have called me first!)

- - - - -

Operating system:

Dr. T mentioned potential compatibility problems with upgrading the OS too far. The software Mrs D wants to use requires at least 10.9. Should I step up the OS gradually, one level at a time? Or perhaps just upgrade to 10.9 and stop?

This, of course, requires yet another password -- Mrs D's Apple ID password, so as to get the new OS from the App Store. To save time, could I feed it my own Apple ID and password? Or would that cause other problems?

God bless America.

Posts: 13503 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Updating:
It's been a bit over two months now, and I did buy the Mac. Well, sort of. Mrs D kept hers, but I bought her sister's, which is darn near identical. So, here I go.

I'm doing some quick learning now, like how to scroll with the touch pad, how to set up the lower right corner to serve as a right-click, and that the battery life is just incredible. Nine hours? Holy smokes!

I've been staring at the Mac OS version for a bit today. The machine tells me it's running OS X v10.8.5. I see that the current version is 10.13.2. When I go to the App Store, it tells me High Sierra is installed, but I don't see a method for updating to 10.13. Confused

Once I get this under control, I'd like to learn about Boot Camp, so I can run a couple of Windows applications.

Another thing I'd like to learn: I use the heck out of Windows' Snipping Tool. Is there a similar feature on Mac?

God bless America.

Posts: 13503 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:
Updating:
It's been a bit over two months now, and I did buy the Mac. Well, sort of. Mrs D kept hers, but I bought her sister's, which is darn near identical. So, here I go.

I'm doing some quick learning now, like how to scroll with the touch pad, how to set up the lower right corner to serve as a right-click, and that the battery life is just incredible. Nine hours? Holy smokes!

I've been staring at the Mac OS version for a bit today. The machine tells me it's running OS X v10.8.5. I see that the current version is 10.13.2. When I go to the App Store, it tells me High Sierra is installed, but I don't see a method for updating to 10.13. Confused

You're sure it's 10.8.5 installed? https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201260

Once I get this under control, I'd like to learn about Boot Camp, so I can run a couple of Windows applications.

Another thing I'd like to learn: I use the heck out of Windows' Snipping Tool. Is there a similar feature on Mac?

Here's instructions on screen shots: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201361

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4335 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lkdr1989:

- - -

If I click the Apple logo at the top left, then choose About This Mac, I get a box that shows another Apple logo, then OS X in bold letters, then "Version 10.8.5."

And thank you for the screen shot link. That looks like exactly what I was looking for.

God bless America.

Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
Check the "Applications" folder & see if the High Sierra installer is in there; it could be that the Appstore has detected that HS has already been downloaded. If this is the case, you just need to run the installer. Make sure you backup your files before you update your Mac

quote:
quote:

- - -

If I click the Apple logo at the top left, then choose About This Mac, I get a box that shows another Apple logo, then OS X in bold letters, then "Version 10.8.5."

And thank you for the screen shot link. That looks like exactly what I was looking for.

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4335 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
vthoky,

If you want to transfer the files in a more “Windows” way, I would suggest you bypass the Photos app. Use the oft neglected built in app “Image Capture.” Just pres command+spacebar to bring up spotlight, then type in Image Capture then press “Return.”

Once Image Capture is running, plug in the iPhone via USB. You should see it in the left column under devices. Select the phone and the photos will populate in the right window. Click in the right window, press command+A to select all, select the destination location, and click the “Import” button. It’s super simple, and the files won’t end up buried in the Photos App library.

You can also set Image Capture to be the default app to launch when the iPhone is connected.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8219 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
For future reference, have your Mac-using friends grab a copy of AppDelete or AppCleaner or the like. These programs detect when an application has been dragged to the Trash can and will "deep delete" all the application support files, startup items and what-have-you.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fpuhan:
For future reference, have your Mac-using friends grab a copy of AppDelete or AppCleaner or the like. These programs detect when an application has been dragged to the Trash can and will "deep delete" all the application support files, startup items and what-have-you.
I just took at look at these. There are several utilities for Mac that basically do the same job.

AppCleaner is the only one that is FREE (we like free!), and seems to be about as good as any of the paid ones, which range in price from around five bucks up to fifteen.

The only caveat for AppCleaner is that you need to have it running if you want it to notice that you have dragged an app to the trash. Or, you can just open AppCleaner and drag an app directly onto the AppCleaner window.

If you like questions about the sound of one hand clapping, you might want to ponder what would happen if you dragged the AppCleaner app onto its own window. My brain hurts now.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30674 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
I use Clean My Mac 3 for:

1. Cleanning
2. Maintenance
3. Health and Monitoring

Not real expensive, but not free either at $39, $29.95 if you're an Amazon Prime member, but has done a great job on my macbook now for a few years and get's rid of a lot of junk files and free's up space pretty well.

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Min-Chin-Chu-Ru... Speed with Glare
posted Hide Post
To the OP:

Google Tech Talk America. David A. Cox has a extensive series of "Mac how-to" videos, mostly free, filled with tips, techniques, app recomendations, etc.

He also has a YouTube channel.

Posts: 1266 | Location: MA | Registered: December 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Thanks again, all.
Tonight's challenge for me: as a Windows guy, I'm used to using Ctrl-C, Ctrl-X, and Ctrl-V for copy, cut, and paste. These seem not to work the same way on a Mac… Grr! Razz

God bless America.

אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks again, all.
Tonight's challenge for me: as a Windows guy, I'm used to using Ctrl-C, Ctrl-X, and Ctrl-V for copy, cut, and paste. These seem not to work the same way on a Mac… Grr! Razz
No big deal. Just substitute the "command" key (adjacent to the space bar) for the Ctrl key, and everything works the same: i.e.Command-C, Command-X, and Command-V, for copy, cut, and paste, respectively. Many things that you do in Windows with the Ctrl key, have similar actions in Mac OS using the command key.

Or you can right-click on the mouse (Ctrl-click if you have an antique one-button mouse) and get a pop-up menu with choices for copy, cut, paste, etc. Or the drop-down list from Edit menu on the menu bar at the top of the screen.

You also mentioned BootCamp. Easy-peasy, the BootCamp assistant will walk you through the process, step-by-step.

With BootCamp you will have a choice at start-up time: you can either run Mac OS or boot from the BootCamp partition and have a Windows machine. One or the other.

I find, for my purposes, that using a virtual machine app, such as Parallels, VMware Fusion, or Sun / Oracle's free one (Virtual Box?) does a better job of suiting my needs. Any of these will let you run Windows (or other Operating Systems such as UNIX, Linux, etc.) in a window just as if it were a Mac app. For example, I use the Windows version of Medlin's Payroll app, running in a Windows environment, side-by-side with my Mac apps. You can't do this if you boot into the BootCamp partition, but you can mount the BootCamp partition in a virtual machine if you want.

Of all the virtualizers, I prefer VMware Fusion. They have the best licensing terms (you can install it on multiple computers for the price of one license) and if you need support, I have found them to be more responsive than Parallels. Virtual Box has the advantage of being free, but I found that it needs more tweaking and administrative stuff, while VMware Fusion is basically plug-and-play. Since my time is sort of limited (I want to hand load ammunition, go to the range, etc., instead of tweaking a computer), I'm willing to pay VMware for their product.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30674 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks again, all.

All these hotkeys existed on the Mac prior to Windows. As stated, use command instead of Control. IBM PC keyboards didn't have a command modifier, so when Microsoft copied Mac OS, they substituted the control key instead.

The hardest part of learning the Mac is remembering to use the <Return> instead of the <Enter> key. Wink

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8219 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

AppCleaner (free) gets most of the app. Then you need a utility (also free) like Find Any File, and this picks up the bits that AppCleaner misses. When you run Find Any File, hold down the OPT key, and it will find all root level files you need to delete.

Posts: 10786 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
quote:
how to set up the lower right corner to serve as a right-click

Just tap the pad with two fingers.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4129 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Thanks again, all.
No big deal. Just substitute the "command" key (adjacent to the space bar) for the Ctrl key, and everything works the same: i.e.Command-C, Command-X, and Command-V, for copy, cut, and paste, respectively.

Long time Mac users will recall, before the Command key was the Command key, it was the Apple key. And the little ditty for copy-paste was "Apple-C, Apple-V". Smile

Posts: 10786 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:
quote:
Thanks again, all.

All these hotkeys existed on the Mac prior to Windows. As stated, use command instead of Control. IBM PC keyboards didn't have a command modifier, so when Microsoft copied Mac OS, they substituted the control key instead.

The hardest part of learning the Mac is remembering to use the <Return> instead of the <Enter> key. Wink

sigcrazy, on my late 2013 macbook pro r the return key is also labeled enter also. I'm not sure about other mac's though.

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cparktd:
quote:
how to set up the lower right corner to serve as a right-click

Just tap the pad with two fingers.

I'm finding this by accident on occasion! Big Grin

God bless America.

Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Check the "Applications" folder & see if the High Sierra installer is in there; it could be that the Appstore has detected that HS has already been downloaded. If this is the case, you just need to run the installer. Make sure you backup your files before you update your Mac

Aha! I did find "Install MacOS High Sierra" in the Applications folder.
Clicked it... waited... got a dialog box that says, "Downloading Installer Information to the target volume failed." I click "OK", the box goes away, and that's that. Grrr.

God bless America.

Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by just1tym:
sigcrazy, on my late 2013 macbook pro r the return key is also labeled enter also. I'm not sure about other mac's though.

Fn + return = enter. On my full-sized daskeyboard (mac version), return is in the regular place, and enter is located on the numeric keypad portion of the layout. Most programs these days treat them the same. Exceptions are iTunes and video/photo editing programs, which make the distinction in some places.