SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anyone with experience with WiFi extenders?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone with experience with WiFi extenders? Login/Join 
Better Than I Deserve!
Picture of LBTRS
posted Hide Post
I just installed an eero mesh system in my home. It was easy to install and I have perfect coverage over my entire 3000 sq ft home.

Highly recommend the new eero system with the eero device and two beacons.

Posts: 4990 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: September 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jbcummings:
........but it lacks the throughput to service my Apple 4K TV with other devices. .

I don't think I'd try wifi to a 4K TV and expect much. Wifi is a mere toy, and is not used for serious data transfer. In particular where reliability is needed.

Wired Ethernet is the way to go, if you can do it. If not, can you add another AP close (or closer) to the TV?

By the way, for those suggesting cat-6, why cat-6 instead of just cat-5E? Cat-5E should be fine in a residential environment for up to 100 meters for 1 Giga bit Ethernet. IMHO it's a little easier to work with than Cat-6.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 11109 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aparoche
posted Hide Post
Go with a new mesh network with 3 devices. Using WiFi extenders just halves the bandwidth at the extended locations.

Posts: 524 | Registered: November 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by aparoche:
Go with a new mesh network with 3 devices. Using WiFi extenders just halves the bandwidth at the extended locations.

Good advice. Spend the extra now for a good mesh system and you'll at least be even with technology for a few years. Plume, eero and Netgear Orbi are three respected brands. Expect to pay in the $300 range. There are others but these three are mentioned the most by tech guys.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:
quote:
Originally posted by jbcummings:
........but it lacks the throughput to service my Apple 4K TV with other devices. .

I don't think I'd try wifi to a 4K TV and expect much. Wifi is a mere toy, and is not used for serious data transfer. In particular where reliability is needed.

Wired Ethernet is the way to go, if you can do it. If not, can you add another AP close (or closer) to the TV?

By the way, for those suggesting cat-6, why cat-6 instead of just cat-5E? Cat-5E should be fine in a residential environment for up to 100 meters for 1 Giga bit Ethernet. IMHO it's a little easier to work with than Cat-6.

Because it's one higher, these go to eleven.

Properly installed Cat5e will give you gigabit service. I wired my house in Cat5e. Works perfectly for my 75 up/down plan. If I ever could afford or wanted gigabit service I would already be set up for it. In 15-20 years when there is 10 gigabit service I guess I'll just have to rewire to run my 24k TV.

I have zero problems streaming 4k on Cat5e, on 75Mbps service, in fact I was able to do it no problem on 25Mbps.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 21150 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
I used CAT6 because I managed to buy a partial spool of it from a friend who'd bought 1,000' and only used maybe 300' (I still have a couple hundred feet left). Let's just say he sold me the remainder of the spool for a song, so for higher bandwidth and future proofing, while costing less, CAT6 was the winner. Smile
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
I have zero problems streaming 4k on Cat5e, on 75Mbps service, in fact I was able to do it no problem on 25Mbps.
I also have ~75mb cable service and found few problems streaming 4k even wirelessly through my WAP. What killed WiFi streaming for me was the interference WiFi seems to be susceptible to. Once I moved my Fire TV devices to hardwired connections, the very infrequent buffering and hiccups encountered on WiFi disappeared.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
quote:
I used CAT6 because I managed to buy a partial spool of it from a friend who'd bought 1,000' and only used maybe 300' (I still have a couple hundred feet left). Let's just say he sold me the remainder of the spool for a song, so for higher bandwidth and future proofing, while costing less, CAT6 was the winner. Smile
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
I also have ~75mb cable service and found few problems streaming 4k even wirelessly through my WAP. What killed WiFi streaming for me was the interference WiFi seems to be susceptible to. Once I moved my Fire TV devices to hardwired connections, the very infrequent buffering and hiccups encountered on WiFi disappeared.

You definitely don't NEED Cat 6 (aka it won't perform any better in this case) but if you get it cheap enough - why not?

Posts: 23227 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
You definitely don't NEED Cat 6 (aka it won't perform any better in this case) but if you get it cheap enough - why not?
My reasoning....No shipping costs, no sales tax, no waiting for delivery, and a per foot cost slightly less than CAT5e. Seemed like a no brainer. CAT6 is stiffer to work with than CAT5e but that wasn't really much of an issue considering the runs I had to make. Call it future proofing on the cheap. Razz

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post