SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Western NY State: LEO shoots man armed with bow & arrow
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Western NY State: LEO shoots man armed with bow & arrow Login/Join 
posted
Yep, do not bring a bow & arrow to a gun fight!

Portville is in rural western NY south of Buffalo and east of Jamestown. I grew up three hours further east.

https://buffalonews.com/news/l...85-9b92c1f47fe3.html

Trooper shoots man in Cattaraugus County

Aaron Besecker
Jan 1, 2021 Updated Jan 1, 2021

A state trooper responding to a violent domestic incident shot a man early Friday morning in Portville, state police said.

The man "advanced towards troopers armed with a bow and arrow," and refused to comply with commands to drop the weapon, troopers said in a news release.

Troopers were called to a home on Yubadam Road at 1:30 a.m. and were speaking with the victim when the man, identified as Ryan T. Ehman, approached police, state police said.

Ehman, 40, was taken by Mercy Flight to Erie County Medical Center. His condition was not provided by police.

State police said the investigation into the incident is ongoing and criminal charges are pending.

Police did not release any further information.

Posts: 15909 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
[Dirty Harry impression] Nothing wrong with shooting, as long as the right people get shot.

Millions of people were killed with bows or crossbows before the invention of firearms. The English/Welsh longbow was the machine gun of its day.

Posts: 27970 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Irksome Whirling Dervish
Picture of Flashlightboy
posted Hide Post
I've actually been to Portville twice and on purpose too.

Sprague's is very good eats and their maple syrup is fantastic. Actually eating some right now.

Sounds like the shooting was justified. The fact that they airlifted to ECMC instead of the hospital in Olean suggests the room IQ might be raised a few points.

Posts: 4084 | Location: "You can't just go to Walmart with a gift card and get a new brother." Janice Serrano | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flashlightboy:
The fact that they airlifted to ECMC instead of the hospital in Olean suggests the room IQ might be raised a few points.

Not all hospitals are trauma centers, and even among those that are, not all trauma centers are capable of handling every trauma situations. (There are differing levels.) So traumatic injuries often get taken to hospitals that are farther away, but better equipped to handle them.

Posts: 32522 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
That is Indian country out there.. Big Grin

Posts: 17903 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
I'm guessing there was alcohol or drugs involved? Either way, a happy ending.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10729 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The article didn't specify the type, but I think a modern compound bow with a broadhead would slice through a ballistic vest like butter. I'd take that as a serious threat.

Posts: 8961 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
The article didn't specify the type, but I think a modern compound bow with a broadhead would slice through a ballistic vest like butter. I'd take that as a serious threat.

Agreed. I think I'd rather get shot with a handgun bullet than an arrow...and I'm not rushing to sign up to do the former, either.

Posts: 8586 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

The article didn't specify the type...

Inquiring minds want to know, but it's unlikely we'll find out. I just looked at lots of articles on the topic, even the NYSP press release, and they all say the same as what I posted.

FWIW, Wiki says troopers are issued the G-21 Gen 4 in 45 ACP.

Posts: 15909 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
First that I've heard about it, not too far from me!

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think a modern compound bow with a broadhead would slice through a ballistic vest like butter.

According to the tests documented in the below video, not always.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4itldinl-s0

But the question is like one I pose in my use of deadly force classes: “Is it okay for someone to shoot you with a .22 rimfire bullet if you’re wearing body armor that will stop it?”

The answer is of course No. Not all parts of our body, not even all the really important parts, are covered with armor. Any gun can be a deadly weapon, and the same is true of any bow with any arrow.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
‘Domestic violence’, ‘bow & arrow’? The guy could already be a felon, hence, no legal gun.

Posts: 6170 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
A "savage" attack by any definition of the word.

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10203 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I imagine there will be a good deal of joking/teasing from his coworkers.

Posts: 21106 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The city next to me had a male fired a couple arrows w/ a compound bow at a buddy of mine and his cover officer responding to a disturbance about a month ago. They didn’t get hit. They did not return fire. The guy then holed up inside the house. SWAT got him out. Former military having some PTSD issues(sorry for a lack of a better term/s).

Posts: 4063 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post