SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Drill Press Vice?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Drill Press Vice? Login/Join 
posted
Anybody have experience with a good budget oriented drill press vice? Got a table top drill press I'm finally using for a small project & need a vice. Local farm store's option seemed kinda cheaply made. Lowes was sold out of Irwin, so I didn't get to look @ them.

I'm looking to drill & tap set screws in the bottom of a fsb instead of using taper pins. Will also likely dimple the barrel.

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2783 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
What's your budget?

I have an old Craftsman cheepie mounted to a Chinese cross slide table. Not machinist quality by any stretch, but allow reasonably precise positioning.

This one from Northern Tool isn't bad, and if your budget allows, you can go up from there to whatever floats your boat.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15489 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yokel
Picture of ontmark
posted Hide Post
Our son purchased the cross vise from Harbor Freight.

http://www.harborfreight.com/c...search/result?q=Vise

Not a bad home set up.

Be careful on the tabletop drill press they do not usually have much vertical travel from chuck to table.

Then you add the drill bit and a vise it gets even less.

A vise will even shorten that travel a lot. My son and his friend tried using a table top drill press to mill 80percent lowers in the X-Y vise and ran into vertical travel issues. They then went out and purchased a real nice stand up drill press.

Hint: think twice and buy once.

Beware the man who only has one gun. He probably knows how to use it! - John Steinbeck

Posts: 3878 | Location: Vallejo, CA | Registered: August 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would suggest a parallel clamp, or, as some call it, a hand screw clamp. Jorgensen is a brand, they come in various sizes, are made of wood. Lay it on its side on the drillpress table, clamp it in place with a C - clamp. No loss of press capacity, part being drilled can still be in contact with the table. Additionally, wood jaws do not mar finish on metal pieces. Probably cheaper than a good drill press vise. I have been doing this for years. Works very well.

Posts: 2158 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You could get a hooker or drug dealer to hold it down for you.

Posts: 17253 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Or a drunkard or gambler. Wink

Posts: 27162 | Location: SW of Hovey, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

Rather than a vise for a drill press, I would invest in clamps that can hold your work (irregular work that may not fit in a vise) to the table. The Besseys are not cheap, but there are lots of alternatives, too. Main thing is to secure the workpiece so it does not end up on the other end of the garage/shop.

Posts: 10874 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mike_jackmin
posted Hide Post
Check ebay, too.

Posts: 405 | Registered: March 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post