SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Need organization ideas for my workbench
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need organization ideas for my workbench Login/Join 
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted
I built a workbench in the basement to work on amplifiers and electronic projects. As time went on it got more and more cluttered. At first I'd clean up after every project but I kept putting more and more stuff there and now it's a wreck.

I think what I need is some sort of organization help, like drawers or shelves. I need some ideas to help give everything a home instead of just piling stuff up in general.

What you got? Pictures or links are great.

Posts: 45374 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
Subscribing. I'm in the same boat. I think the rule needs to be: Throw away anything you don't use at least once a year and didn't cost more than $10. If you go buy or dig up hardware jars or cans, you can start getting organized. Tools need to be put away in a box, case or cabinet.

Posts: 3538 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rick Lee:
Subscribing. I'm in the same boat. I think the rule needs to be: Throw away anything you don't use at least once a year and didn't cost more than $10. If you go buy or dig up hardware jars or cans, you can start getting organized. Tools need to be put away in a box, case or cabinet.
I just have too many ongoing projects and have to learn to finish one before starting another. Big Grin

Yeah, I think I need a toolbox for the basement.

Posts: 45374 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
This may or may not work for you, but I got some pegboard put up, actually two 4x8 sheets, and a metric crap-ton of assorted hooks and hung everything up that I could. It has saved me so much time finding something when I need it as well as hopefully notice something is missing before too much time goes by. And of course everything else is in tool boxes.

If you have exposed rafters you can get rafter hooks, they're great for oddball things to hang, such as cords, electric this and that, etc. HERE IS AN EXAMPLE These are not permanent, you just slip them in and out of place when needed.

Best wishes to you.

Posts: 11847 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
McNoob
Picture of xantom
posted Hide Post
I am pretty neat/clean and I try to put things back and keep everything in order. My bench tops are all ready to go most of the time. From time to time my shop will become quite a mess, but usually only when I am in the middle of a project.

Maybe get things cleaned up and organized and then try to maintain it? Adding more shelves and drawers is only going to let your mess overflow to those areas and then you'll be right back to where you are now.

Happy cleaning Big Grin

"We've done four already, but now we're steady..."

Posts: 1731 | Location: MN | Registered: November 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BlackTalonJHP
posted Hide Post
I use things like this Link on top of the workbench towards the wall. I use things like this Link below my workbench, just find one with the right height to fit under your bench.

Posts: 1059 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 18, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
One big problem is that I moved my receiver, turntable and iMac to the workbench. Takes up too much space. I think the receiver and turntable can benefit from a shelf under the workbench. Then maybe mount the iMac to the wall between the speakers.

W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:
This may or may not work for you, but I got some pegboard put up, actually two 4x8 sheets, and a metric crap-ton of assorted hooks and hung everything up that I could. It has saved me so much time finding something when I need it as well as hopefully notice something is missing before too much time goes by. And of course everything else is in tool boxes.
I do have pegboards. The one on the right is for my cable tools (Ethernet and F-type/coax stuff) and on the left my PCB tools and test equipment.

I made the bench pretty deep so that I could put larger items on it so putting a pegboard against the back wall isn’t convenient.

Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
I’m looking for a small metal rollaround cart with at least the bottom shelf and a top shelf. Hopefully I can pick one up at an auction this year.

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
144 sq. Ft for parts.
144 sq. Ft. For tools ,
144 sq. Ft. For actual working space.
( 12' x 30" bench.)

144 sq. Ft. For future and finished projects.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54644 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
You can find similar products on home depot, amazon, or walmart, but maybe look at The Container Store and see what type of things they have that could work for you. They have an entire section of garage/tool solutions.

My shop is small and doubles as a woodshop and gun cleaning/reloading area. I have an L-shaped bench with a second level underneath. I also mounted a full length shelf above one using L-brackets. I have a decent sized pegboard and I made a shelf for cordless drills and battery chargers. I keep reloading equipment in a file cabinet I got when my firm was getting rid of them. Even with all of that, it's quite messy if I don't clean up after projects.

I personally think pegboard is a must but I also like the slat-wall products and use them in my garage. Finally, small, clear drawers for nuts, bolts, bits, etc. If you're working on electronics you'll have all sorts of things for wire, solder, etc. Also make sure to streamline your power situation by getting some type of nice power strip or retractable extension cord.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10487 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
1) Adopt the following mantra: "You do not rise to the level of your goals. You fall to the level of your systems." Establish a system, modify and update as necessary, but ensure that you do indeed have a system. No system = failure.

2) Buy the following label maker: https://www.amazon.com/PTH111-...75-8bc7-93deae8f9840

Label the shit out of everything. Everything. There's a discreet label on my gun safe to indicate when the batteries were last changed. I label the drawers for my tool box; individual cubbies of nut and bolt organizers; if I buy a bag of random parts off amazon, I label the remainder with what it is and what its for; etc.

Tip: get the "pro" version linked, not the basic version. The pro version is currently cheaper, but more importantly, it has a shift key that allows you to access punctuation without having to use menu buttons. My current label maker works just fine, but I really wish it had that feature.

Posts: 13048 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My problem was not organized storage, it was having lots of small parts I either knew I had but couldnt locate or I could not recall what they fit.
Enter the ziplock bag with a label. I now label all the bags with the name of the contents and what they fit. I recycle as many zip locks as I can when something I order comes in one. The snack size is the one I use most often. Bag, tag and store. Done!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16093 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:

If you have exposed rafters you can get rafter hooks, they're great for oddball things to hang, such as cords, electric this and that, etc. HERE IS AN EXAMPLE These are not permanent, you just slip them in and out of place when needed.

Best wishes to you.

The peg board has made my project life more efficient for sure. I've had them up on my 6' long x 24" garage work bench, which is secured to the wall, for about 15 years. All of the normal tools I might use regularly are hung and are in plain sight. Screwdrivers of all sorts, hammers, tape measure, several types of pliers, saws, three cordless power tools, rulers, tape, string, calipers and some other sundry tools. In years past I had this stuff in drawers and not only was it difficult to locate things, putting stuff back away was a chore. Now if I'm working on something, I hang it back up when I'm done with that task and the work area stays relatively clear.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
My clutter in the workbench area is a decades old collection of items that offer some utility. However, the utility offered is rarely needed.

Items include basketball inflation needles, replacement light bulbs for 30-year-old desk lamp, extra bits for screwdrivers or battery-powered drills, and similar. It is painful to toss such items. I have a trio of fishing tackle divider boxes filled with fasteners of various types, just in case. I have a toolbox of electrical tools.

Some days I just want to start over with a purge into a dumpster. And a $1000 52-inch tool chest.

It is so emotionally hard for me.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5054 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
I have a pegboard that backs my bench, it holds a lot. I also have shelves underneath. I think it would be helpful if I had added some shelves to the upper portion. I store clamps on the rafters overhead.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37960 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cyanide357
posted Hide Post
If you have a 3d printer (or a reason to get one), there is a system you can print for organization: Gridfinity

Another place to find some inspiration is Reddit r/workbenches

Posts: 250 | Registered: November 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cyanide357:
If you have a 3d printer (or a reason to get one), there is a system you can print for organization: Gridfinity

Another place to find some inspiration is Reddit r/workbenches

I do have a small 3D printer. I’m definitely going to check that out. Oh, I also joined r/workbenches.

I’m going to clean up some more today.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: mark123,

W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:
1) Adopt the following mantra: "You do not rise to the level of your goals. You fall to the level of your systems." Establish a system, modify and update as necessary, but ensure that you do indeed have a system. No system = failure.

2) Buy the following label maker: https://www.amazon.com/PTH111-...75-8bc7-93deae8f9840

Label the shit out of everything. Everything. There's a discreet label on my gun safe to indicate when the batteries were last changed. I label the drawers for my tool box; individual cubbies of nut and bolt organizers; if I buy a bag of random parts off amazon, I label the remainder with what it is and what its for; etc.

Tip: get the "pro" version linked, not the basic version. The pro version is currently cheaper, but more importantly, it has a shift key that allows you to access punctuation without having to use menu buttons. My current label maker works just fine, but I really wish it had that feature.

My garage is much more organized since my wife labeled my toolboxes. Each drawer has specific items and nothing else. This also makes me put the stuff back when I’m done.

As long as the drawers are labeled I shouldn’t have an issue keeping things organized or finding them when necessary.

posted Hide Post
I have a tray like this. Compact, easy to use and transport.

https://www.amazon.com/Tool-So...er-Red/dp/B00HNZWPCQ

Posts: 1513 | Location: Lehigh County,PA-USA | Registered: February 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post