SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    High Contrail Curiosity ?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

High Contrail Curiosity ? Login/Join 
posted
Driving south into Hot Springs today there was a high contrail to the south moving from east to west, that made a turn to the south and then ended it's turn and went to the southeast. The area was approximately the SW of S.D. near the Nebraska border. Never saw this before, as most contrails you see are east to west or west to east. Any ideas about the 270° turn and heading off to the southeast?

Jim

Posts: 1349 | Location: Southern Black Hills | Registered: September 14, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Probably spraying mind control chemicals. I read that's a thing.

Posts: 26999 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
A few years ago I saw a contrail that pulled a 180. Never saw that before either. I just wrote it off as a military training flight of some kind.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I can't tell if I'm
tired, or just lazy
Picture of ggile
posted Hide Post
The pilot just realized he was supposed to be going to Kansas City. Smile

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety"
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2096 | Location: South Dakota-pheasant country | Registered: June 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
Realized he forgot to turn the oven off and had to go back home?

Evasive action to avoid a UFO?

Seriously, my guess would be either a military navigational exercise or somebody avoiding a restricted airspace.

Posts: 7289 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I can't tell if I'm
tired, or just lazy
Picture of ggile
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:

Why waste the chemicals? We're talking about South Dakota....there's nobody here! Razz

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety"
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2096 | Location: South Dakota-pheasant country | Registered: June 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Sort of related. I heard a sonic boom today. It’s been awhile.

Posts: 13333 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
Mostly likely he was responding to mirror signals.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
Someone's comfort scorpion suddenly needed medical attention in St. Louis, sounds like.

Posts: 15052 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
B-1B maneuver?

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16291 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Refueling track, perhaps. Or someone got holding instructions.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Chemtraliens?

Oh, Shit!!!

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43978 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knowing is Half the Battle
Picture of Scuba Steve Sig
posted Hide Post
Turn and burn Mav!

Posts: 2548 | Location: Iowa by way of Missouri | Registered: July 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:

I thought that I read that somewhere, but later on I remembered that I didn't.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5970 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have no idea if it is related; heard a B1 take off today. Heard one yesterday too. They must have some powerful engines; very loud when climbing. Haven't heard a B1 for quite some time this winter.

Posts: 76 | Location: Rapid City, South Dakota | Registered: February 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sounds like there's an Air Refueling track in the area:

And either finished a Point Parallel Air Refueling, or had a receiver no-show:

Posts: 1474 | Location: Washington | Registered: August 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never Go
Full Retard
Picture of MitchbSC
posted Hide Post
If not aliens, USN aviation?

Okanogan Sky Thingy

They don't think it be like it is, but it do.

Posts: 4797 | Location: SC | Registered: January 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post