SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    They Cut Their Own Throats
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

They Cut Their Own Throats Login/Join 
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by FenderBender:
We shall see how it goes, not much we can do.

The hell you say.
Get out and vote on 11/6
flashguy

If you don’t vote, you don’t get to complain.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by FenderBender:

The hell you say.

Get out and vote on 11/6

NO DEMOCRATS, EVER.
I think FenderBender was meaning there wasn't much we can do RIGHT NOW--I'm sure he plans to vote (as do I).

flashguy

I 100% intend to vote, even with all that entails(another topic entirely*).

Our President, was elected by the mechanism we've employed to avoid the tyranny of the majority. Now the legitimacy of the votes for Clinton in the popularity contest aside there sure were a lot of them that didn't count. I'm not attacking our electoral college mind you, once you understand how it works it's truly a marvel of modern civics.

additionally yes, there are always going to be a handful of ballots that hang on a single vote, but the vast majority of them it's usually a sizable margin. If you're on the losing side you vote didn't matter at all, and unless your part of that margin of victory, your vote doesn't matter either, as all votes effectively cancel one another out.

Writ large you are absolutely correct Fenris that is how you lose elections, but this only counts on the individual scale. Perhaps said more eloquently, no individual vote matters, only in aggregate does they really count.

*by voting at all you're consenting to be governed, no matter who wins. So when people say "Well, I didn't vote for him!" It's irreverent you chose to play the game. The only people who truly have a right to gripe are the people who have to follow the rules of the game even when they choose to not participate; by not voting.

Posts: 8146 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
A few weeks before the 2018 Election, polls show a distinct Democratic advantage.

Horseshit. Polls are propaganda tools for media outlets.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16701 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
FenderBender is family. Let's be cool.

Oh, I'm not attacking FenderBender personally, just calling out the ideas he posted. At least that was not my intent.

From time to time, I have certainly been told by other members when I was suffering from rectal-cranial inversion. Sometimes, they were even right. Not often mind you. But sometimes.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
quote:
*by voting at all you're consenting to be governed, no matter who wins. So when people say "Well, I didn't vote for him!" It's irreverent you chose to play the game. The only people who truly have a right to gripe are the people who have to follow the rules of the game even when they choose to not participate; by not voting.

By not participating, you are declining to try and push the needle toward a better outcome. Which is a form of participation. And arguably renders you less righteous in your complaints. That would be sitting down in the outfield all game because no one ever hits the ball out there, and then complaining when your team loses.

What was that old song, "If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice."

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fenris:
quote:

By not participating, you are declining to try and push the needle toward a better outcome. Which is a form of participation. And arguably renders you less righteous in your complaints. That would be sitting down in the outfield all game because no one ever hits the ball out there, and then complaining when your team loses.

What was that old song, "If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice."

Here is a better analogy. two teams show up to play baseball in the park. You hate baseball, so you've got no interest in playing, nor are you on either team. Regardless, you're forced at gunpoint to show up for the victory parade of whomever won. That person is the most right in their indignation, they're associated with the whole thing against their will.

Posts: 8146 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
I can't imagine a single member on this board NOT voting...

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8357 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by downtownv:
I can't imagine a single member on this board NOT voting...

Could you possibly put a line between your posts and your ad? It's hard to tell where your post ends and the ad begins.

Posts: 33814 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GGF
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

The hell you say.

Get out and vote on 11/6

NO DEMOCRATS, EVER.

No. Democrats. Ever.

Not on any level, Federal, State or local.

I will never vote for a Democrat again for anything.
On every level and every one of them - may they burn in Hell.

Posts: 698 | Location: Indiana | Registered: January 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
Probably read by many on this forum, but a timely reminder anyway:

Once upon a time, there was an old man who used to go to the ocean to do his writing.He had a habit of walking on the beach every morning before he began his work. Early one morning, he was walking along the shore after a big storm had passed and found the vast beach littered with starfish as far as the eye could see, stretching in both directions. 

Off in the distance, the old man noticed a small boy approaching.  As the boy walked, he paused every so often and as he grew closer, the man could see that he was occasionally bending down to pick up an object and throw it into the sea.  The boy came closer still and the man called out, “Good morning!  May I ask what it is that you are doing?”

The young boy paused, looked up, and replied “Throwing starfish into the ocean. The tide has washed them up onto the beach and they can’t return to the sea by themselves,” the youth replied. “When the sun gets high, they will die, unless I throw them back into the water.”

The old man replied, “But there must be tens of thousands of starfish on this beach. I’m afraid you won’t really be able to make much of a difference.”

The boy bent down, picked up yet another starfish and threw it as far as he could into the ocean. Then he turned, smiled and said, “It made a difference to that one!”

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative Behind
Enemy Lines
Picture of synthplayer
posted Hide Post
^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

That boy was NOT a defeatist! I'd be proud of a boy like that. Thanks for the post.

I found what you said riveting.

Posts: 10706 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: June 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post