SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Testing pepper spiciness level
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Testing pepper spiciness level Login/Join 
Picture of konata88
posted
Is there a cheap, easy way to test spiciness level of a pepper? Like perhaps how sugar level is tested for fruit (but easy, cheap method).

For example, if I'm making batches of salsa, some people prefer spicier. Others prefer mild. But everyone likes the taste / sweetness of certain peppers. Like Fresno peppers - they are very sweet and tasty. Or maybe even jalapenos.

The problem is that the spiciness level varies from each individual pepper to pepper. I've been sorting by tasting each individual pepper.

But that's tedious and time consuming and, after getting the first spicy pepper, I can no longer tell how spicy the subsequent peppers are.

Is there a cheap and easy tool to check spiciness level?

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12747 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have several varieties growing in my garden. The a small dab tip of my tongue is the best test.

Awake not woke

Posts: 569 | Location: Citrus Springs, Fl. | Registered: January 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
Is there a cheap, easy way to test spiciness level of a pepper? Like perhaps how sugar level is tested for fruit (but easy, cheap method).

For example, if I'm making batches of salsa, some people prefer spicier. Others prefer mild. But everyone likes the taste / sweetness of certain peppers. Like Fresno peppers - they are very sweet and tasty. Or maybe even jalapenos.

The problem is that the spiciness level varies from each individual pepper to pepper. I've been sorting by tasting each individual pepper.

But that's tedious and time consuming and, after getting the first spicy pepper, I can no longer tell how spicy the subsequent peppers are.

Is there a cheap and easy tool to check spiciness level?

I don't know of any way to test, but from growing jalapenos for years I've found that the tip end is hotter than the base end.
Also, if they show some straw colored stripes they will be hotter than the smooth ones.
If they've been on the plant long enough to turn red, they will definitely be hotter.

A chef on TV once said that peppers with more curve in the stem are hotter than those with straight stems, but I do know if that's really true.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16528 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Interesting..... I'll check that out.

"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12747 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
There isn't outside of a lab (the Scoville scale is subjective anyway, so even that isn't precise.) The best way is going to be to look up a heat range for the pepper you're testing online. Even that isn't perfect as sometimes a ghost pepper will be hotter than a reaper, and some jalapenos try to hurt you.

I grow quite a few peppers, and I've kind of settled into a 3 part classification. 0-100,000 SHU is mild, 100,000- 1,000,000 SHU is medium, and 1,000,000 plus is hot. It's not the most accurate, but I've gotten to the point I can kind of tell how hot I'm going to make my food within those ranges at least.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3516 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Thanks. But that’s not entirely my problem at hand. If I buy jalapeños, I get some that are mild and some that are very spicy (too much even). I prefer not to sample each one. And even if I do, once I hit a spicy one, I can’t judge anything after that.

I can take a wide range of spicy. But others are very sensitive.

Picture of sleepla8er
posted Hide Post

Yes there is, but I no longer have access to the test lab...

In the past, I would simply give the food sample to my little brother to eat then watch his reaction. Unfortunately, he hasn't fallen for my ~ "Hey Mike, taste this" requests for a long time now. Roll Eyes

The good old days, so much fun!!! Big Grin

Posts: 2856 | Location: San Diego, CA  | Registered: July 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
Remove the seeds and placenta (the whitish middle part the seeds are attached to) and you will remove most if not all of the heat from a jalapeno, and most other mild peppers as well. That should make them safe for most people, and you can add some of it back if you want more heat.

"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."

Posts: 3516 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Jalapeño peppers seem to be totally random.

My six year old son was eating slices of jalapeño from his Pop’s garden and got overconfident (I guess they were very mild). His uncle brought him one from his garden, he put a slice of it in his mouth, started chewing and then his eyes bugged wide open he ran over to the trashcan and spit it out, screaming MILK MILK MILK MILK!

Fun times Big Grin

Posts: 33845 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
Most of the heat is in the membranes and seeds. I regulate the heat in my salsa by the amount of membranes and seeds I leave in the peppers when I make my salsa.

Let’s say a batch of salsa has 6 peppers in it. For mild leave the seeds and membranes in two of the peppers, medium 3-4 peppers worth of seeds and membranes and hot just leave all the peppers intact.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
Jalapeño peppers seem to be totally random.

My six year old son was eating slices of jalapeño from his Pop’s garden and got overconfident (I guess they were very mild). His uncle brought him one from his garden, he put a slice of it in his mouth, started chewing and then his eyes bugged wide open he ran over to the trashcan and spit it out, screaming MILK MILK MILK MILK!

Fun times Big Grin

I've been making Jalapeno Poppers a few times a year for a long, long time.

I've tried all sorts of things to find out how hot they are, and so far I've failed miserably.

Jalapenos around here vary tremendously in their heat, going from maybe 2 to 10 in my personal hotness meter, but the only way I've found to test them is to taste them.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
I’m no Gardner but I’ve read that peppers easily cross pollinate and therefore a jalapeño may get crossed with some other pepper in the same area and take on those heat characteristics. Hence super hot or mild. I haven’t found any reliable way to tell if they are hot or mild. Stripes, bend, color, nothing seems consistent.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12445 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The 2nd guarantees the 1st
Picture of fiasconva
posted Hide Post
One thing to consider is the freshness of the peppers. A Thai restaurant owner the we dine at told us the reason the same dish is hotter some days than others is because the fresher peppers are hotter.

"Even if the world were perfect it wouldn't be." ... Yogi Berra

Posts: 1866 | Location: York County, VA | Registered: August 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
peppers with more curve in the stem are hotter than those with straight stems,

That's what the old lady said to the sailor.

Blessed be the Lord, my Rock

Posts: 15906 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by frayedends:
I’m no Gardner but I’ve read that peppers easily cross pollinate and therefore a jalapeño may get crossed with some other pepper in the same area and take on those heat characteristics. Hence super hot or mild. I haven’t found any reliable way to tell if they are hot or mild. Stripes, bend, color, nothing seems consistent.

They don't easily cross pollinate, but they can. Cross pollination won't affect the peppers growing this year, they will be true to what you started with. Cross pollination will affect the genetics of the seeds however, so the plants grown from the cross pollinated seeds will reflect the cross.

Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
No, there isn't.

Each variety (jalapeno, serrano, whatever) have a general range and that's that.

Eat lots of peppers, know their ranges, makes lots of things with them, and you eventually sort of know.

But you'll never really know.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Orthogonal
posted Hide Post
quote:

I do not disagree with you frayedends...Two plus years ago a gal farmer at my local weekend's farmer's market was selling very large jalapeno peppers amongst several tables of her many other colorful varieties of peppers, all of gorgeous rich coloration. When I asked her about the heat of hers and why most fresh jalapenos I had purchased were always so mild she forcefully replied, "Stop buying your jalapenos from Walmart!" So, being guilty as charged, I bought some of hers and they were wonderful & quite hot. And it hasn't been just Walmart, I've confronted the same issue at several other major grocery chains. I am suspicious that they are supplying what the greatest number of their customers will buy, i.e., demand driven. My son is growing his own "Reapers"! So growing your own jalapenos from choice seed may be your answer.

While not exactly the same topic, a very large proportion of the garlic now sold in the USA is of communist chinese origin and seldom, if ever, so labeled. If the roots are closely/scrupulously cut to the bottom of the bulb(a laborious task)to comply with USDA import disease prevention rules then the garlic is most likely of communist chinese origin. In my experience that garlic is near worthless as regards having any flavor; worse that dirt cheap source has very badly damaged the domestic growers of garlic by undercutting domestic growers' costs.. My perception, parallel to the jalapeno notion, is that most folk do not really know of, or care for, strong garlic flavors(their loss). For potent garlic one has to either grow a good cultivar oneself, or get them from local, boutique, and online sources/farmers. Garlic cannot be hybridized BTW, it only reproduces asexually. There are some 1K plus named known cultivated varieties.

Big Grin

Posts: 519 | Registered: May 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have been growing peppers for a number of years now.....love them. I agree with the above that if you remove the placenta and seeds, the resultant pepper will be quite mild....to me.

Posts: 6628 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Perception:
quote:
Originally posted by frayedends:

They don't easily cross pollinate, but they can. Cross pollination won't affect the peppers growing this year, they will be true to what you started with. Cross pollination will affect the genetics of the seeds however, so the plants grown from the cross pollinated seeds will reflect the cross.

Unscientifically, I think hot varieties next to Jalapenos increase the heat of the jalapenos. Maybe. I don't know if the opposite is true, because I can't heat habanero/serrano raw like I can a jalapeno.
I know that water availability will affect heat of the peppers (less=hotter), as well as yield from the plant(more=more peppers). I suspect that commercial farms prefer yield over scoville.

Posts: 3297 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
According to my World Encyclopedia of Cooking Ingredients,the more a pepper suffers the hotter it will be. So ,if you are growing them , and want them hot, make the starve for water.
Makes sense as well, that mass grown peppers don't have heat, as mass growers are surely looking for yields, and supplying the necessary water for such.

Posts: 128 | Location: somewhere in the lower great lakes | Registered: March 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post