SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Chick Fil A employee stops attempted car jacking
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Chick Fil A employee stops attempted car jacking Login/Join 
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted
Link

Florida Chick-fil-A employee stops man who allegedly tried to carjack woman with baby

Dramatic video shows a Chick-fil-A employee tackling a man who allegedly tried to carjack a woman with a baby. The suspect, identified as William Branch, was arrested by authorities in Fort Walton Beach, Florida.

Branch is facing charges of battery and carjacking with a weapon, the Okaloosa County Sheriff's Office said on Wednesday.

Armed with a stick, Branch allegedly approached a woman in the parking lot outside of Chick-fil-A as she was getting a baby out of the car. He then demanded her keys, grabbed them from her waistband and tried to take the car, the sheriff's office said.

The Chick-fil-A employee, identified by the restaurant as Mykel Gordon, intervened after hearing the woman screaming. Part of the video of the encounter shows Gordon wrestling Branch to the ground and pinning him until more people show up to help.

At one point, Branch punched Gordon in the face, but he was not seriously injured, the sheriff's office said.

In the clip, a woman who witnessed the incident unfold is heard calling out the attempted carjacker.

"She had a baby in her hands," she says. "She had a baby in her hands! How dare you!"

Deputies said Branch was involved in another incident shortly before the carjacking attempt.

The local Chick-fil-A's Facebook page identified the quick-thinking employee and called him a "HERO."

"This is Mykel Gordon! At Chick-fil-A our mission is to 'Serve' and today Mykel took it further……to 'Save,'" the post said.

This is the HERO! This is Mykel Gordon! At Chick-fil-A our mission is to “Serve” and today Mykel took it further……to “Save”.

Posted by Chick-fil-A of FORT WALTON BEACH on Wednesday, September 14, 2022
Gordon has worked at the Chick-fil-A for the last 14 years. Matthew Sexton, the restaurant's operator, praised Gordon in a statement to CBS News on Thursday.

"We're so relieved that our Guests and Team Members are safe following this alarming incident," Sexton said. "I'm grateful for my amazing Team Member, Mykel Gordon, who so selflessly jumped in to intervene and help our Guests. I couldn't be prouder of his incredible act of care."

Authorities also lauded the young man.

"A major shout-out to this young man for his courage!" the sheriff's office tweeted.

The sheriff's office wrote on its Facebook page that it expects Gordon will receive some sort of award for his actions.

Posts: 23457 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Hero right there.

Q

Posts: 26392 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Branch, armed with a stick...

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43885 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
“My pleasure” Big Grin

Posts: 1702 | Registered: November 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
The woman in gray with the kid at 58 seconds…my god, “SHUT UP”.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12334 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
That guy needs a new wallet.

Posts: 27964 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Altitude Minimum
Picture of BOATTRASH1
posted Hide Post
If I had not packed a lunch yesterday I would have gone there for lunch. Smile
Good job on that employee!!!

Posts: 1224 | Location: Shalimar, FL | Registered: January 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Damn. I was hoping the carjacker would've gotten the boots taken to him. Good job on the part of Gordon, though. Pretty bold on the part of the carjacker as there should be a decent military presence in that area.

Posts: 13116 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Altitude Minimum
Picture of BOATTRASH1
posted Hide Post
^^^^Ha Ha you could say there’s a heavy military presence in the area! Cool

Posts: 1224 | Location: Shalimar, FL | Registered: January 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
If you get carjacked at CFA the employees will stop the criminal.

If you get carjacked at Popeyes the employees are probably the ones carjacking you.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15255 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BOATTRASH1:
^^^^Ha Ha you could say there’s a heavy military presence in the area! Cool

Well I didn't know if you were counting the Air Force or not. Razz

Posts: 13116 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do---or do not.
There is no try.
posted Hide Post
I can only imagine Sheriff Grady Judd's press conference if this had happened in Polk County.

Good on that employee, times ten.

Posts: 4501 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
Damn. I was hoping the carjacker would've gotten the boots taken to him.
^^^This. I was really hoping a couple good ole Florida boys would enter the frame and offer this POS a supersized ass whippin'. Would have loved Larry and Billy Bob stepping up and telling the kid..."Thanks, we'll take it from here." Wink

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of spunk639
posted Hide Post
I’m sure one of my brethren lawyers in Florida smell a lawsuit against Chic fil A on this, luckily Florida has a more conservative justice system than Massachusetts, here the kid could be facing criminal charges, despite doing the right thing, Massachusetts doesn’t condone self help.

Posts: 2778 | Location: Boston, Mass | Registered: December 02, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Kudos to Chick-Fil-A for standing behind their employee. Too many corporations would be condemning his actions.

Posts: 729 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: May 15, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
This must make the woke crowd really angry because of where it happened (CFA).
Great job by the employee.

Posts: 9516 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by spunk639:
I’m sure one of my brethren lawyers in Florida smell a lawsuit against Chic fil A on this, luckily Florida has a more conservative justice system than Massachusetts, here the kid could be facing criminal charges, despite doing the right thing, Massachusetts doesn’t condone self help.

Florida's legal system is odd. Southeast Florida is pretty much New Jersey, but the panhandle (where this happened) is south Alabama. Kid will get a medal; bad guy will get jail.

Posts: 995 | Location: Tampa | Registered: July 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post