SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Calling Appliance Brad( not appliance related) and anyone else that knows the Jackson, MI area
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Calling Appliance Brad( not appliance related) and anyone else that knows the Jackson, MI area Login/Join 
posted
My son just graduated from CMU with a degree in mechanical engineering. To say I am proud of him would be an understatement but I digress. Anyway, he got a job at Consumers Power where he will be in a rotational program for two years. His first year is in Jackson. Apparently at a location a few miles north of town. He will be looking for an apartment. Can anyone help me with places to go. And more importantly places to avoid. I know nothing about the area myself. Thanks in advance.

Jim

Posts: 1341 | Location: Northern Michigan | Registered: September 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is Jackson Michigan safe?

With a crime rate of 56 per one thousand residents, Jackson has one of the highest crime rates in America
compared to all communities of all sizes - from the smallest towns to the very largest cities.
One's chance of becoming a victim of either violent or property crime here is one in 18.

What is the most dangerous city in Michigan?

Benton Harbor is a small city in western Michigan. With over 2,200 violent crimes for every 100,000 residents in 2017, it ranks as the most dangerous city in the state and one of the most dangerous in the country.Feb 8, 2019

and Battle creek is in the top ten worst crime rate cities.

I might look elsewhere

If you stop in the local cop shop or
county sheriffs office,
most will be happy to tell you where to avoid,
based on their call volume .

After living in 5 states , 7 cities and 11 apts over 35 years .
it does not work 100% of the time.
and

contact the Human resources dept at the new job.
they may have additional info.

do NOT call a real estate or rental placement office.

A Closer Look at Michigan’s Safest Cities of 2020

Oakland Township jumped 11 spots to become the safest city in the state this year, with just 34 total crimes reported.

80% of the cities improved in rank year over year, with Raisin Township climbing 82 spots and Rochester jumping 69.

Only three cities dropped in rank, including last year’s number one safest city Grosse Ile Township.

Even though Michigan has a higher violent crime rate than the national average of 3.7, every city on the list had fewer than 1.5 incidents per 1,000.

A full 90% of the cities reported fewer than one violent crime incident per 1,000.

100% reported fewer than 20 total violent crimes. Addison Township had the least with just one, and Independence Township had the most with only 16.

All cities are below well both state (16.5) and national (22.0) property crime rates, and no city reported more than 5.2 incidents per 1,000.

Iron Mountain, the number two city, had a property crime rate of 1.2—the lowest among the safest

https://www.neighborhoodscout.com/mi/chelsea/crime

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54655 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
Getting various inputs from the forum is good. It gives you more knowledge for better guidance. Hopefully, the company has a program that will help him through the process?

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19676 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
what he will be pulling down , income wise might dictate where he might be able to live.

Posts: 54655 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
He will start in the mid sixties, and he was contacted by another new hire that he knows from school that wants to room with him to split expenses.

Posts: 1341 | Location: Northern Michigan | Registered: September 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So $1200.00 per month for rent
should be workable
+ elec.water, gas, Ins.

I am hoping for something at least gated ,for that price.

Washing machine whisperer
Picture of Appliance Brad
posted Hide Post
Good afternoon and congratulations to your son. As a WMU alum however I must start my post with a heartfelt Boo Chips! Smile

I live about 48 miles south of Jackson but I work EMS there on a regular basis. consumers headquarters is just north of town on Parnall Rd. It's a fairly affordable place to live with lots of things for a younger person to do. Commuting should be a non issue, I've yet to see any real traffic jams there outside of contraction zones or accidents. The Jacskon area does get a rep sometimes because like any small to mid size city (especially one home to a state prison) they sometimes get a rep for crime. As long as your son (and yourself when visiting) follows legendary lawman Chuck Haggard's maxim "don't go stupid places and do stupid things with stupid people" it's as safe as any midwest city of 32k is. I'd avoid anything south of Michigan Ave between downtown and Vandercook Lake. I'll check with a couple of the mid twenties EMS people I work with for apartment complex suggestions as medics with our company make in the $60-100k range so similar income and age. There are a couple of brand new or under construction buildings right in downtown where they have a pretty up and coming restaurant, microbrew and entertainment surge going on. But downtown means a bit more potential crime like car break ins.

I'll get back ASAP with a couple apartment suggestions.

Posts: 11226 | Location: below the palm tree line of Michigan | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I messaged a couple guys and a young woman (RN) that I work with and will let you know what they say.

Posts: 11226 | Location: below the palm tree line of Michigan | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
RN says Trillium Point is the nicest in Jackson. they are very close to his place of work

My old partner (mid 20's married and now owns a house) suggests Cascades Ridge. they are on the southeast side of town in an area of nicer homes, parks and several gold courses. Downside is they are probably the farthest from his new job but still only 20-25 minutes away. He also mentioned Victoria Pointe which is right at the intersections of 127 and I-94 and therefore a quick drive to his work. He seconded the suggestion of Trillium Point as being very, very nice.

The brand new place right downtown is The 200. It's 2 blocks from where our EMS company offices are and right in downtown. A fellow former county commissioner owns Grand River Brewing right next door. There is a great gun shop, Schupachs, a block away. If he likes social life, this would be a great spot for a young person.

I'll add more when I hear from the last guy.

Picture of np149
posted Hide Post
I hear 4000 Cooper Street is nice.

Big Grin

Posts: 236 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 15, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by np149:
I hear 4000 Cooper Street is nice.

Big Grin

Gated community, just around the corner from the Consumers Building. with convenient on site meal service, healthcare. laundry and security included. Cool

posted Hide Post
Thank you very much for the replies. He will sort through the choices. The 4000 Cooper Street sounds nice but may be out of his price range Big Grin! If anyone has more suggestions please le me know.

Jim

posted Hide Post
I have 2 customers from Jackson, MI. I spent 4 days there and went all over. I didn't see anything that would indicate a lot of crime. My customer owns a lot of properties, commercial, store fronts, warehouses, and things of that nature and hasn't mentioned anything about crime.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pal:
The 4000 Cooper Street sounds nice but may be out of his price range Big Grin!

They're messin' with ya. That's a state prison facility Smile

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I know

posted Hide Post
Thanks for watchin my back en Smile

Jim