SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    listening to the ballgame
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

listening to the ballgame Login/Join 
california
tumbles into the sea
posted
i'm back to listening to baseball on the radio. to me, you can't beat it. even the commercials are more tolerable than freak'n t.v. i've also been recording games and game rebroadcasts for listening later.

interesting fact: during the start of the dodgers game i started (but didn't finish) listening to yesterday afternoon, they delayed the game (only by less than a minute i think..., seconds) for the t.v. broadcast - which the announcer made known. so much information you get from the play by play - and you have to use your noggin to catch all that is said / described.

i went to see the new AAA team (new name, new stadium) play in town and brought along my Sony ICF-P26 with ipod earbuds. if you were there and didn't listen to the play by play, you'd never know why the third base coach confronted the plate umpire, and eventually also the first base ump when he also walked over. or that the catcher for the home team was thrown out and the coach and ump got into it at the plate. radio play by play tells all.

they also rebroadcast games (so far, i've found dodgers and giants) the next day from cali am stations. reception sucked the last few days, so i streamed it on my pc and recorded it using my Sony ICD PX333 Digital Voice Recorder:

giants pirates

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
I agree with you wholeheartedly, f2. Listening to baseball on the radio brings back childhood memories of my dad and me sitting on the porch in the dark, listening to Washington Senators games on the AM dial.

Baseball is the only game where I can leave my house, get in my car and drive, and follow a game pitch by pitch without feeling deprived of the visuals.

I'm now a Nats fan (Washington, D.C. fans have a high tolerance for losing) and the team is blessed to have two terrific radio play-by-play announcers, Charlie Slowes and Dave Jageler.

When I go to games I listen to them while watching.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
I grew up listening to BB over the radio. Great memories!

Posts: 13816 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
As a kid I listened to the Cardinals everyday, Jack Buck & Jim Woods.
I often snuck a radio into class and ran an earphone plug up my arm. Smile
Great memories.

Posts: 22928 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
Baseball is made for radio. This is the old lefthander heading for home...

I subscribe to MLB baseball audio only. $20 a year and you get every game plus you can choose either the home or away feed. Costs $20 a year and I consider that a bargain. Smile

Posts: 4700 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by doublesharp:
Baseball is made for radio. This is the old lefthander heading for home...

I subscribe to MLB baseball audio only. $20 a year and you get every game plus you can choose either the home or away feed. Costs $20 a year and I consider that a bargain. Smile
is ^ that only for smart phone listening?

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Failing to prepare is
preparing to fail.
Picture of SigLaw
posted Hide Post
Having grownup in the Southern California area, I had the privilege of listening to Vin Scully do Dodger games and Dick Enberg do Angel games. I remember laying in bed listening to them. They really painted a picture.

Go to YouTube and listen to Scully’s call of the final out of Koufax’s 1965 (?) no-hitter. Absolute magic!!!

Posts: 1360 | Location: Gilbert, AZ | Registered: November 08, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just re-signed with XM radio so I can listen to the Orioles games.

Would I rather watch them on TV of course but down in NC the Orioles games are blacked out.

It is an adjustment, but I am getting back into the swing of it.

Whether watching it on MASN or listening to it on the radio, I do like the Orioles play by play because they keep you informed of what is going on.

The hard part is trying to learn who all the new players are.

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an
opportunity to STFU
posted Hide Post
Me too. Me and my Dad, out in the yard listening to George Kell and Earnie Harwell describe the plays. Rocky Calavito, Don Wert, Jake Wood, Denny McLain, and the whole crew. The old man is gone now,but every time I think of baseball I think of him. Great days, I miss him.

Never be more than one step away from your sword-Old Greek Wisdom

Posts: 2294 | Location: SE Mich-- USA | Registered: September 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tooky13
posted Hide Post
Yep, similar to SigLaw, I grew up in SoCal and was there when the Dodgers relocated to LA. Went to many of their games in the Colosseum before they built Dodger Stadium in Chavez Ravine. Some of my fondest childhood memories are of Vin Scully & Jerry Doggett calling the Dodger games.

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.
Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1313 | Location: Scottsdale, Arizona | Registered: December 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
I grew up in SoCal listening to Vin and Jerry on radio. I was 8 years old when Dodgers came to town. Vin is the best ever. I miss those games. We were at the first game at Dodger Stadium. Also went to many games at the Coliseum.

Had to look up to spell Coliseum

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6320 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by f2:
quote:
Baseball is made for radio. This is the old lefthander rounding third and heading for home... Joe Nuxall

is ^ that only for smart phone listening?

No, better not be because I don't own a smart phone. Cool

I mainly listen on my desktop but it works on my laptop and chromebook. With MLB normally about the 4th of July they run a video special for about $50 for the rest of the season. Normal video is $129 iirc. Then labor day they will run a $20 video special for the rest of the season and I will usually bite on that if the stretch drive looks to be a good one. I always get the audio via auto renew and am happy with it. One downside to video is if your favorite team is somewhat local (mine is. Go Reds) they black out home video games. Not so with the audio feed, it is always available. You can get the video 1 hour after game ends but who cares about old news?

Posts: 4700 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Charlie Slowes and Dave Jageler.

They are excellent! I listen to way more games than I watch. Love daytime games because I'll listen to them at work or while doing things around the house.

I watch half a dozen non playoff games a year, but listen to 50 or so.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20834 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
Grew up listening to Ernie Harwell give the play for Detroit with my grandpa.

Ernie was one of the greats.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10730 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigLaw:

Go to YouTube and listen to Scully’s call of the final out of Koufax’s 1965 (?) no-hitter. Absolute magic!!!

I’m not a huge baseball fan, and only watch if I go see a game live. That said, thanks for sharing. That was pretty awesome to listen to. https://youtu.be/WINiz0Bfb-0

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4029 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
quote:
No, better not be because I don't own a smart phone.
Thanks! Got the mil discount, so paid $12.99.

Picture of Ironmike57
posted Hide Post
KMOX?

quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
As a kid I listened to the Cardinals everyday, Jack Buck & Jim Woods.
I often snuck a radio into class and ran an earphone plug up my arm. Smile
Great memories.

Posts: 1979 | Location: Florida | Registered: July 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironmike57
posted Hide Post
Me too. My dad bought a radio for me when I was about 8 or 9. I would lay in bed in the dark and pick up baseball games around the country. The reception was fantastic at night.

quote:
Originally posted by CQB60:

Posts: 1979 | Location: Florida | Registered: July 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironmike57
posted Hide Post
Gary Thorne is the best voice in baseball!

quote:
Originally posted by mrapteam666:
I just re-signed with XM radio so I can listen to the Orioles games.

Would I rather watch them on TV of course but down in NC the Orioles games are blacked out.

It is an adjustment, but I am getting back into the swing of it.

Whether watching it on MASN or listening to it on the radio, I do like the Orioles play by play because they keep you informed of what is going on.

The hard part is trying to learn who all the new players are.

Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ironmike57:
Me too. My dad bought a radio for me when I was about 8 or 9. I would lay in bed in the dark and pick up baseball games around the country. The reception was fantastic at night.

quote:
Originally posted by CQB60:

That AM skip was terrific! In Virginia, I'd catch WBZ (Boston) and WLS (Chicago) late at night. Had a paper route as a kid and would listen to Dick Summer in the wee hours. His show was a hoot!

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post