SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What is your mission?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is your mission? Login/Join 
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted
What is your mission? Ask yourself this. Everyone has a mission, and they might just not realize it.

For most folks, it probably is to pursue happiness, enjoy their life, but most importantly, to come home safely at the end of the day to their family. And to provide for their family, the best a person knows how to. If you do something stupid and avoidable, and end up in a casket, you have failed your mission. Your kids will now grow up without your guidance,love, affection, and financial support. Your wife and all your other friends and family lose as well.

Before you jump on your GSX1000 and decide to go drive 170mph down the highway, ask yourself, "What is your mission?" Are you about to do something stupid, unnecessary, and with great unnecessary risk, that might cause you to fail your mission? THEN DON'T DO IT!!

Are you a hothead, that gets into frequent arguments, perhaps even frequent bar fights or road rage incidents? All of your past incidents may have worked out in your favor. BUT, the next time you might just run into a guy that is a bigger bad ass, or more violent, or more psychopathic, then you are accustomed to. And he kills you, which means you have failed your mission.

What am I rambling about? I recently read a book called Violence of Mind: Training and Preparation for Extreme Violence by Varg Freeborn, published in 2018.

I HONESTLY believe this book has changed my life (for the better). I've read all the top books by all the top experts in violence (Grossman, Bill Jordan, Mas Ayoob, Jeff Cooper,etc) I honestly believe this book is right up there with all of them,and may even surpass them in importance and is likely to become a very discussed, and often recommended book for those that carry a gun, knife, or martial arts skills with them daily.

So I guess what I'm trying to say is, I believe this book is of such importance, that I highly recommend that everyone in this board read it. I'm that passionate about it.

I don't know the author or publisher, and have no financial interest in the book. Just a big fan. Check it out.

The old saying you can't teach an old dog new tricks, doesn't apply here. The author presents so many concepts, that I'm sure almost everyone can learn something important, even life changing, from this book. Read the Amazon reviews if you are skeptical.

https://www.amazon.com/Violenc...-ebook/dp/B07BGJFD7L

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bubbatime,

Posts: 6705 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
I'll check it out.

Thanks

God Bless and Protect President Donald John Trump.

VOTE EARLY TO BEAT THE CHEAT!!!

Posts: 17568 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Looks interesting. I ran “Fakespot” on the amazon reviews of the book, it said that the reviews were suspect, FWIW.

https://www.fakespot.com/produ...for-extreme-violence

Posts: 27180 | Location: SW of Hovey, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
To find, fix and destroy the enemy through superior maneuver and firepower?

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
^^^^
Lol first thing to pop into my head was "to seek out, close with, and destroy the enemy by fire and maneuver".

Posts: 10640 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Very thought provoking. Thanks

Posts: 11994 | Location: Near Hooker Oklahoma, closer to Slapout Oklahoma | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post

Posts: 23227 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
To crush my enemies, see them driven before me, and hear the lamentation of their women.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15833 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
Kind of a Peter Gibbons sort of mission.

I just don't want to get hassled.

Posts: 8183 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Very timely. I was just trying to articulate some thoughts about this to a young adult, this helps. Thanks for posting.

Posts: 11994 | Location: Near Hooker Oklahoma, closer to Slapout Oklahoma | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
My mission? Impossible...

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29909 | Location: Norris Lake, TN | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Basically, I just want a Baja Blast.

https://www.amazon.com/Violenc...-ebook/dp/B07BGJFD7L

quote:
I endured more beatings before age 10 than most of you would ever receive in a lifetime...

Ah, a child abuse dick measuring contest. I'll play. Bounced off ceilings, kicked, beaten, stabbed, burned, and thrown through a plate glass window, before 10. That's a requirement to know the "violent mind?"

The guy is either 300 years old or has a little experience in a lot of areas...like many of us. Life's like that. He raises some good points, but the crux of his story is "nobody can tell it like me, nobody's seen the world like I've seen it." It's always more interesting hearing that from someone other than the speaker. Self-sale, and all. Was a bad boy, had a hard upbringing. Welcome to the club.

There's a very old tale told of a master ronin samurai named Miyamoto Musashi, who found himself on a boat with another Samurai. A peasant on the boat dishonored the samurai, who drew his sword to kill the peasant. Musashi offered to take the place of the peasant, but said that the fight shouldn't occur on the boat. Too many people. He pointed to a small island, and the other samurai agreed. The boat put into the island, and the samurai jumped off, and drew his sword.

Musashi pushed the boat off the shore and drifted downstream, leaving the samurai screaming on the island, powerless.

That was a master fighter, and one who truly understood the violent mind. The most powerful is the one who wins without having to fight.

The author prattles on about the "sheepdog" movement, as if there is one, and suggests that one's "mission" is protection of self and family. I see in the news that a shooting took place in a church in Nevada on Sunday, and wonder if the author would have the reader not engage the shooter. Forget sheepdog; someone shooting in a public space is a threat to me and my family, regardless of whether they're aiming at me. Crowded theater, outdoor concert, ATM, mall, church, walmart...it's not about looking out for number one; it's about doing what one must when one must, without the self-aggrandizing and self-promotion.

I get it. Nobody is more bad-ass than the author, and nobody has been there and done that more than him, and all others who post on the topic could never hold a candle to him.

Nobody tried to murder me when I was six, and I didn't work for the mob and a knee breaker. I understand violence really well, however, and I take exception to some of the things the author has to say. My "mission" changes every day. Depends what's going on. Often throughout the day.

The book comes across more to me as a "let me tell you just how tough I really am," affair, more than a treatise on violence or state of mind.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sns3guppy,

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
Cool story bro

Posts: 6705 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post