SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    New washing machine causes water hammering
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New washing machine causes water hammering Login/Join 
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted
As a follow up to the washing machine thread, while we’re completely happy with the performance of the new machine (so far it’s the best we’ve owned) I’ve noticed that it causes a rather loud water hammer when it shuts off the flow. Is there something that I can do? Is it a non-issue other than the noise or will it cause problems?

Posts: 45331 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
Shock absorbers. Smile You can get other types. See the other suggestions below, on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/HammerS...versal/dp/B013TLMCZM

Posts: 11355 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:
Shock absorbers. Smile You can get other types. See the other suggestions below, on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/HammerS...versal/dp/B013TLMCZM
Nice! Smile

Posts: 45331 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Have you checked your water pressure?

Our new washer was causing hammer and I added those arrestors which lasted a year or so then it came back. Finally had a plumber test the water pressure into my house and it was like 85 psi and too high, he installed a regulator that brought it down to something like 50 psi. I was having water hammer issues with all my new toilets too and it all went away after the pressure regulator was installed.

Posts: 33608 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
Have you checked your water pressure?

Our new washer was causing hammer and I added those arrestors which lasted a year or so then it came back. Finally had a plumber test the water pressure into my house and it was like 85 psi and too high, he installed a regulator that brought it down to something like 50 psi. I was having water hammer issues with all my new toilets too and it all went away after the pressure regulator was installed.

Based on that description, I'd call the plumber to see if the regulator has gone bad.

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
Based on that description, I'd call the plumber to see if the regulator has gone bad.

Well, before you pay a plumber $100 just to come out and tell you your water pressure is fine, spend the $10ish bucks to get a pressure gauge at the hardware store and test it yourself.

Hook it to an outside hose spigot. Make sure no other water fixtures in the house are running (like someone flushing a toilet, or running the dishwasher/washing machine/icemaker/etc.), and gradually turn on the outside spigot to full. Then read the gauge.

If your pressure is high (80+ psi; normal is 40-60), then it's potentially worth paying a plumber to come out and take a look, to either replace/rebuild your pressure regulator, or install one if you've never had one (less common, but possible). Pressure regulators commonly need rebuild/replacement every 15-20 or so years.

Pressure regulators can also be adjusted by the homeowner, so you may be able to buy some time by further adjusting your regulator to lower the pressure below 80, but rising pressure is a sign of a failing regulator so that'll likely just be a temporary fix. And there may not be enough adjustment left in it to get pressure below 80 if it has failed.

And if your pressure is reading below 80, it's worth checking it again at a different time of day, just to be sure. Sometimes pressure from the main supply at the street can vary throughout the day as neighborhood water demand fluctuates, so there may be times that it's under 80, while other times that it's over 80.

Posts: 32430 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DougE
posted Hide Post
We had water hammer issues when we switched to a front load washer 6 years ago. These fixed the problem:
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Shark...-Arrestor/1002102520

The water in Washington won't clear up until we get the pigs out of the creek~Senator John Kennedy

Posts: 987 | Location: Richmond, KY | Registered: February 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
You put that item on the hot, cold or one each lines? And at washer I’m assuming?

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12350 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Georgeair - At washer, both unless you only wash in cold water.

Posts: 1190 | Location: Moved to N.W. MT. | Registered: April 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DougE
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
You put that item on the hot, cold or one each lines? And at washer I’m assuming?

I have one on each line at the valves.

The water in Washington won't clear up until we get the pigs out of the creek~Senator John Kennedy

Posts: 987 | Location: Richmond, KY | Registered: February 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DougE:
We had water hammer issues when we switched to a front load washer 6 years ago. These fixed the problem:
That looks nice and hefty. Thanks.

Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
So let me ask you all this. Why do washers need to have quick acting shutoff valves? Why not use slow closing valves that would not produce water hammer?

My sprinkler controller has this option. so I'm guessing its just an electrical signal adjustment that needs to be made.

Posts: 11152 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skull Leader:
So let me ask you all this. Why do washers need to have quick acting shutoff valves? Why not use slow closing valves that would not produce water hammer?

Different types of devices have different types of valves. Also, location in the whole water line path can make a difference.

Many water heater installations will have a larger one installed above the unit.

Posts: 2768 | Location: Northern California | Registered: December 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigSAC:
... Also, location in the whole water line path can make a difference. ...
I'm sure the fact that the washer is in the basement has something to do with it as the difference between water pressure on the different floors is not insignificant.

W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
I picked up a pair of these on Sunday and installed them. They seem to alleviate the issue.

Picture of DougE
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:
quote:
I picked up a pair of these on Sunday and installed them. They seem to alleviate the issue.

Great Smile

Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:
quote:

IMO they are a bandaid and may only last a year or so. You really ought to get your water pressure checked and a regulator installed if it’s too high, I never had one on my cold water line but it’s made a big difference and even lowered my water bill a bit.

Posts: 33608 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
Great topic! Experiencing this same thing with a newly replaced washer.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I think all of these new HE machines have very fast opening and closing valves for some reason and they're all susceptible to water hammer if your pressure is on the higher side of normal.