SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Happy VJ Day!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Happy VJ Day! Login/Join 
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted

Q

Posts: 26385 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
Nearly half of the British public do not know what Victory over Japan (VJ) Day is, according to the findings of a poll taken shortly before its 75th anniversary.

On Saturday, the country will pay tribute to the sacrifices made by those who fought in the Far East to bring about the end of the Second World War.

The conflict against Japan endured three months beyond Victory in Europe (VE) Day on May 8 1945, with brutal fighting only ending with the Japanese surrender on August 15.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: tacfoley,

Posts: 11323 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tacfoley:
Nearly half of the British public do not know what Victory in over Japan (VJ) Day is, according to the findings of a poll taken shortly before its 75th anniversary.

Wink

Q

Posts: 26385 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Certainly a historic day! In the top photo you posted, Vice Admiral "Slew" McCain is on the far right, front row. He had been already been relieved of his command as part of the fallout from the loss of ships in a typhoon, but Admiral Halsey insisted he attend the surrender aboard USS MISSOURI. IIRC, he flew home shortly afterward and passed away about 4 days later after suffering a heart attack during a welcome home party. His son served as a submarine commander during the war and was the Pacific Fleet commander when then Lieutenant Commander John S. McCain was imprisoned in North Vietnam.

Posts: 154 | Registered: December 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
I remember my Dad and two of my Uncles who were readying for a Japanese homeland invasion....mentioning that when they heard the news they didn't believe it. As all of them, having seen some combat, knew they wouldn't survive the War.

This anniversary always makes me recall the Sailor kissing the Nurse in the crowd of celebrators!

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^This anniversary always makes me recall the Sailor kissing the Nurse in the crowd of celebrators!

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2699 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting that!

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I've stood on that very spot on the mighty Missouri.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23257 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
I've stood on that very spot on the mighty Missouri.

Me too. And I have a US flag flown over the USS Missouri in 1998 as a memento.

Anyone know, is that General Wainwright standing next to MacArthur?

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Nearly half of the British public do not know what Victory in Japan (VJ) Day is, according to the findings of a poll taken shortly before its 75th anniversary.

On Saturday, the country will pay tribute to the sacrifices made by those who fought in the Far East to bring about the end of the Second World War.

The conflict against Japan endured three months beyond Victory in Europe (VE) Day on May 8 1945, with brutal fighting only ending with the Japanese surrender on August 15.

had the TV on before I left for work this AM,
wife finally got tired of the stupidity on NBC (nutthin but commies!!) and switched over to BBC,

and they were running a feature on VJ day,
cannot remember the group that was interviewed, but the older woman as a news reader mentioned her Grandfather was a Chindit, and a POW

meanwhile NBC was all OMB

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10421 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Anyone know, is that General Wainwright standing next to MacArthur?
General Wainwright had recently been liberated the month before (August) and was thin and malnourished from his three years of captivity. The general standing to the left of MacArthur at the table is not Wainwright, IMO. I think it is the tall officer directly above him; the tall & thin person.

Additional picture of Wainwright and his location, below:

IIRC, MacArthur signed the instrument of surrender as supreme commander of the allied forces and Wainwright signed as the American representative.

Posts: 9041 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:
quote:
Nearly half of the British public do not know what Victory in Japan (VJ) Day is, according to the findings of a poll taken shortly before its 75th anniversary.

had the TV on before I left for work this AM,
wife finally got tired of the stupidity on NBC (nutthin but commies!!) and switched over to BBC,

and they were running a feature on VJ day,
cannot remember the group that was interviewed, but the older woman as a news reader mentioned her Grandfather was a Chindit, and a POW

meanwhile NBC was all OMB

Yup, here the Commemoration of VJ Day was held mainly at the National Arboretum, sort of like your Vietnam Wall in DC, but many, many times bigger. It even has the last few feet of track of the Burma Railway in situ. There were around forty veterans of the war from the British POV, many of them from the Commonwealth - or Empire as it was then. Sikhs, Burmese and African, as well as an Australian Chindit and an RAF pilot...well worth watching if you can do so. One elderly lady - well into her 90s, had been kept prisoner in Changi Jail, Singapore. The youngest there was 93, and the oldest 103...

Posts: 11323 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm glad you posted this thread. Today, one photo, showing the celebration in Times Square in the rear of the main section of my paper. No commentary about it at all.

When I was a kid, both VE and VJ day were big deals, always on the front page of our paper and on all the three channels of our
TV (when we finally got TV and finally got-WOW-three channels).

I suppose it gets so little recognition now because almost all those who served in the Second World War have passed on, their spouses too and, even their kids, like me, are getting close.

But in years gone by, these victories were a big deal here in the United States and I think it is a shame for those living here now to not remember the dates, the victories and the sacrifices by others made for them.

Bob

Posts: 1575 | Location: TampaBay | Registered: May 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting Q. I got my flag up today. I called my grandpa today which sounded really good for 95. He said he remembers that like yesterday.

Posts: 1570 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: August 17, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We Only Kneel
to Almighty God
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting this.

Made me think of my Uncle(s), Grandfather and his brother-in-law who trained others and/or served in every theater.

Posts: 3427 | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
My Mother and Father always celebrated VJ day on 8/14 because that's the day my mother got the news (it was 8/15 in Japan and still 8/14 in Wa St. due to the time difference when the Japanese made the announcement).

My Father was on Iwo(USMC) when the announcement was made. Both have since passed...

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6212 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Nearly half of the British public do not know what Victory over Japan (VJ) Day is, according to the findings of a poll taken shortly before its 75th anniversary.
I'd be willing to bet that almost no one in this country under the age of 40 knows about it, either. I was 7 1/2 years old on VJ day, and all I remember about it was that everyone was very excited and happy. I think we were in California at that time (we moved around a lot when I was young).

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
229DAK:

Thank you, I am quite sure that tall skinny general is Wainwright. From what I remember of the MacArthur biography, at Corregidor, MacArthur told Wainwright "FDR is sending PT boats to rescue me, you get to stay here to surrender".

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
My grandfather and grandmother did as well....he was on Okinawa when the surrender came, gearing up to invade the home islands....my grandmother was a Navy nurse on Oahu hoping the marine she had connected with (as a fellow Michigander), when she treated him for malaria after his time on Guadalcanal, would find his way back to Oahu and find her....which is exactly what happened...marriage occurred before Christmas 1945, and my mother arrived right before thanksgiving 1946...my grandfather died right before Christmas 2001....when I joined the army he gave me the cross he wore throughout his time in the Corps (he joined in 1938, and retired in 1975)....he was my best friend

quote:
Originally posted by stoic-one:
My Mother and Father always celebrated VJ day on 8/14 because that's the day my mother got the news (it was 8/15 in Japan and still 8/14 in Wa St. due to the time difference when the Japanese made the announcement).

My Father was on Iwo(USMC) when the announcement was made. Both have since passed...

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scoutmaster:
229DAK:

Thank you, I am quite sure that tall skinny general is Wainwright. From what I remember of the MacArthur biography, at Corregidor, MacArthur told Wainwright "FDR is sending PT boats to rescue me, you get to stay here to surrender".

Also left behind were nurses. Many made the “Bataan Death March.”

Their story of service and survival is extraordinary.

http://www.www.workingnurse.co...ataan-and-Corregidor

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post