SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Who Do We Like for Apple Butter?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who Do We Like for Apple Butter? Login/Join 
Ugly Bag of
Mostly Water
Picture of ridgerat
posted
Eons ago, when I was young, we used to have apple butter on toast. Over time, it just kinda disappeared from my diet.

This holiday weekend, a friend brought some home-made apple butter, and everyone enjoyed it.

So, outside of home-made, what brands of either readily-available store brands, or others available online, does the forum braintrust recommend? Regular and low-sugar ideas appreciated!

Endowment Life Member, NRA • Member of FPC, GOA, 2AF & Arizona Citizens Defense League

Posts: 2872 | Location: Tucson Sector | Registered: March 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
We go to the source. In October.

The apple butter festival in Berkeley Springs, West Virginia, a town laid out by George Washington.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
I always buy Dickinson's.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10571 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
Make it yourself. Easy peezy:

6 1/2 pounds apples peeled, cored and sliced
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1 1/2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon vanilla extract

Put everything in a crock pot for 8-10 hours until thick and creamy. Blend in a blender if you want to make it more creamy. Refrigerate over night and enjoy.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
White House brand apple butter. Long time stand-by.

Posts: 1219 | Location: Moved to N.W. MT. | Registered: April 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo54:

1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt

Put everything in a crock pot for 8-10 hours until thick and creamy. Blend in a blender if you want to make it more creamy. Refrigerate over night and enjoy.

Jim
Wow! Learn something new every day. I naively thought it would be butter, apples, cinnamon, and brown sugar.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23646 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
quote:

1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt

Jim
Wow! Learn something new every day. I naively thought it would be butter, apples, cinnamon, and brown sugar.

Yeah me too until my wife used this recipe to make it herself. If you like apple butter, try this, you won't be disappointed.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
We like all kinds. We like kinds that aren’t too sweet. We like kinds with apples.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yeah me too until my wife used this recipe to make it herself. If you like apple butter, try this, you won't be disappointed.

Jim
Any variety of apples that you or your wife recommend?

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23646 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Jim

We like Granny Smith but I think any apple would work. That's a good question actually. We may try another kind next time we make it.

Jim

parati et volentes
Picture of houndawg
posted Hide Post
The stuff we get from the Amish store.

Posts: 8275 | Location: Illinois, Occupied America | Registered: February 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
I just made two jars. It is so easy to make, I would never consider purchasing it, plus it’s hard to find out here for some reason.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17597 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Jim

We like Granny Smith but I think any apple would work. That's a good question actually. We may try another kind next time we make it.

Jim

Try Mcintosh. It's a good balance between sweet and sour.

Posts: 21408 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
I like this stuff from Mercier Farms in Blue Ridge GA. Their "Sugar Free" recipe is great for us Diabetics.

https://www.mercier-orchards.com/

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
quote:

1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt

Jim

Jim, how much finished product does this make approximately?

Going to try it today.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5425 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigM4:
quote:

1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt

Jim

Jim, how much finished product does this make approximately?

Going to try it today.

We get around 3 pints in each batch. My wife told me that the last batch was made with Gala apples and we think it was a little better than the Granny Smith apples.

Jim

Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Jim

Jim

My wife informed me that she used Gala apples the last time and we think it is a little better than the Granny Smith batch.

Jim

I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
quote:

We get around 3 pints in each batch. My wife told me that the last batch was made with Gala apples and we think it was a little better than the Granny Smith apples.

Jim

Great to know, we may try making a smaller batch today. Everyone around here loves the stuff.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5425 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by houndawg:

That is what we do also. The Dutch Kettle is the brand of our last purchase. We go to the Amish Country of Ohio a couple of times a year. Just for relaxation and eating, primarily.

Posts: 797 | Location: NW North Carolina | Registered: November 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
parati et volentes
Picture of houndawg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wolfpacker:
quote:
Originally posted by houndawg:

That is what we do also. The Dutch Kettle is the brand of our last purchase. We go to the Amish Country of Ohio a couple of times a year. Just for relaxation and eating, primarily.

There's a large Amish community right down the road from me. They have a little grocery store with a deli counter.

Posts: 8275 | Location: Illinois, Occupied America | Registered: February 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post