SIGforum
I know where my Father was on this date in 1945

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/320601935/m/1870034024

March 03, 2017, 08:55 PM
olfuzzy
I know where my Father was on this date in 1945
On this date in 1945, we fully secured the Philippine capital of Manila from the Japanese.

My Dad was there.

No real reason for the post, just remembering.
March 03, 2017, 09:18 PM
YellowJacket
Although I'm not positive, there's a good chance my Papa (grandfather) was there as well.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.
March 03, 2017, 09:28 PM
jtedescucci
Yeah... I can always remember when the war in Europe was officially over -> May 8, 1945. And although my father served in the South Pacific, I STILL remember that day, as May 8 was his birthday. I also remember that he was a SUPER Patriot; you'd better not let him hear you say ANYTHING against this country. What a generation! God, ,I wish we had them ALL back now.

"...we have put together I think the most extensive & inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics." - Joe Biden
March 03, 2017, 09:32 PM
deepocean
quote:
Originally posted by olfuzzy:
On this date in 1945, we fully secured the Philippine capital of Manila from the Japanese.

My Dad was there.

No real reason for the post, just remembering.

My Grandfather was somewhere offshore. He brought home pictures of Manilla all shot up. He said when he came ashore, there were Japanese soldiers floating in the harbor. He brought home a Japanese helmet that I didn't like to look at as a kid (it had a bullet hole in it).
March 03, 2017, 09:44 PM
My father's log shows his first flight out of Clark Air Base was March 23. He was the System Engineer on a B-24, 43 Bomb Wing, 64 Bomb Squadron.

March 04, 2017, 07:24 AM
MTJbyrd
My Dad was in Neuss, on the west bank of the Rhine River in Germany, with the 83rd Infantry Division, after surviving weeks of combat in the Hurtgen Forest and then the Battle of the Bulge.
March 04, 2017, 07:59 AM
arfmel
My dad was a sophomore in high school, but FIL was an Officer in 41st Infantry Division in the Phillipines in the front lines fighting the Japanese.
March 04, 2017, 08:51 AM
smschulz
My dad was in HS but in the summer 45 joined the Navy and was in the Philippines later in the year on a minesweeper.
He's still around BTW.
March 04, 2017, 09:54 AM
FN in MT
My Dad was still on Iwo Jima. He left on March 22 or 23.
March 04, 2017, 10:09 AM
cincinnatijim
On this date in 1945 we were living near Alvin, Texas, where Dad was helping build something for the war effort. I think it was a gasoline refinery.

"Louis was furious with the sharks. He thought they had an understanding: The men would stay out of the sharks' turf - the water - and the sharks would stay off theirs - the raft...If the sharks were going to try to eat him, he was going to try to eat them." From Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand
March 04, 2017, 10:28 AM
Orguss
My grandmother was in Manilla, as well. Being Philippino and all...

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"
March 04, 2017, 12:28 PM
220-9er
Also in the Philippines, but to the north on the Villa Verde Trail. The fighting there continued, some until the Japanese surrender.