SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Mountable compact 12vdc flashlights?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mountable compact 12vdc flashlights? Login/Join 
Team Apathy
posted
After having to change a tire on the side of the road in the dark I've come to realize that I'd like a "permanent" car flashlight... Sometimes I keep one in the map pocket of my vehicle, but it tends to wander off, either by my own hand or someone else in the family.

I think one that is mountable in some sort of holder would be more likely to stay put... I have a Stinger mounted in my garage in the charger, and I realize I could use another one of those and just wire in a small inverter, but it is kinda large.

Any leads on a compact light that comes with a mountable holder that can be hardwired, preferably to a 12vdc electrical system.

Thanks.

Posts: 6360 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
A simple headlamp is all you need. They're everywhere, inexpensive, use widely available batteries and would take up almost no space in your glove compartment.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107489 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
A simple headlamp is all you need. They're everywhere, inexpensive, use widely available batteries and would take up almost no space in your glove compartment.

Yea I have one I use for early morning walks… I hadn’t considered that. I wanted something that I could hardwire so I know it’s always good to go, but perhaps I can just use a a small 18650 charger and keep that plugged into the built in inverter… or just throw some extra batteries in the console.

Posts: 6360 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
O-light has USB chargers that use magnets to hold the charger to the light. There are mounts you can screw to something that hold the light/charger in place. I just have it in a little shelf/cubby in my console, which has USB next to it. I also have a pistol light that has magnetic charging.

Zebralight headlamps have always impressed me - I have a 1xCR123A & a 1xAAA. 1 in the shop, 1 in the truck tool bag. Used the 10+ year old truck light to install an ethernet drop that my buddy wanted underneath a built-in desk last week. If I needed another & olight had a similar form factor with the magnetic charging, I'd buy that.

Posts: 3297 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
All of the smaller lights I have tried failed in the Florida heat. So now I depend on the Noco GB40 jump starter. it somehow has been able to survive for several years in my vehicle. it has a very good light for roadside work and is water proof.

edit to add: you may want to consider keeping some chemlights in the vehicles also. They are cheap, last a long time, don't leak, are not affected by cold or heat, easily discarded after use and provided excellent short duration emergency light. we used them in the navy by the case.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ltz400,

Posts: 192 | Location: Florida | Registered: July 07, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kent j
posted Hide Post
Got a U pull junkyard in your town? 90's thru early 2000's GM trucks had a underhood light on a reel. Light retracts back into holder. Uses std. automotive bulb. I grab them when I see them, usually only a buck or two.

Regards, Kent j

You can learn something from everyone you meet, If nothing else you can learn you don't want to be like them
It's only racist to those who want it to be.
It's a magazine, clips are for potato chips and hair

Posts: 294 | Location: Southern Indiana | Registered: December 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kent j:
Got a U pull junkyard in your town? 90's thru early 2000's GM trucks had a under hood light on a reel. Light retracts back into holder. Uses std. automotive bulb. I grab them when I see them, usually only a buck or two.

Ohhh really? Now that is interesting. Which trucks? All of the pickups and SUVs? That could be useful.

posted Hide Post
(90's thru early 2000's GM trucks had a underhood light on a reel. Light retracts back into holder.)

now that you mention it, I remember having that on my '94 chevy shortbed. it had a standard peanut bulb in it. it would reel out to all 4 tires and had a magnetic base. Great idea from kentj. all you will need to do is connect the wiring harness.

edit: found some on eBay from $35-$50 with harness intact. some great shape, some not so great.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ltz400,

Posts: 192 | Location: Florida | Registered: July 07, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I purchased a streamlight flashlight 10 years ago, it came with a 120v charger and a 12v charger, works great, LED. I have it mounted in my service truck. It is nice to not have to worry about if the battery is charged. If it is in the cradle it is charging.

Posts: 437 | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just bought four lights from Harbor freight for 99 cents each.
Little blue , palm sized lights that do all that you require.
Magnet on the back
Swivel hook.

Spot or flood.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54602 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Joe123:
I purchased a streamlight flashlight 10 years ago, it came with a 120v charger and a 12v charger, works great, LED. I have it mounted in my service truck. It is nice to not have to worry about if the battery is charged. If it is in the cradle it is charging.

I didn’t realize the Stinger lights had the ability to be changed to a hardwired 12vdc system. Honestly a Stinger is perfect, plus a headlamp. Maybe I’ll just relocate my garage Stinger to the car.

eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Lithium batteries last longest when not stored at full charge. Lithiums also have fairly low self discharge. So, keeping a flashlight that runs off of a lithium 18650 and using it occasionally (i.e., no longer full) and charging it up once in a while when you remember (low self discharge between top ups) is pretty optimal.

That said, the current batch of flashlights from the major players like Fenix, Nitecore, Olight, etc. all have integrated USB chargers. You can spiff up a mount and just periodically charge with USB in the car.

For this use case, I would consider a right angle flashlight in the 18650 format that can also be worn as a headlamp.

Posts: 13047 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post