SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How the USPS solves problems
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How the USPS solves problems Login/Join 
posted
Some weeks back I posted about the local post office and the huge broken window. Since the USPS has their highly paid workers doing the lawn cutting and trimming, it was a postal worker who sent an errant rock into the window.

As predicted it took weeks to repair and SURPRISE the repair was done during a very busy workday. There were eight guys on the job as usual. Several were directing people to another side entrance, and others were just standing around.

In order to prevent future problems they apparently used a HUGE dose of Roundup to kill any remaining grass. Looks very attractive, dirt, dust, cigarette butts and dead leaves.

This sort of thing makes me think of how the USPS solves other problems.

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of notarex
posted Hide Post
At our post office the clerks got locked out of the safe. The maintenance dept. sent their best men of course. They drilled that sucker for 2 days, one guy fell asleep at the drill for a few hours- no joke! There are a handful of us that bust our ass, but most are milking the govt. teat and exploiting the union protections. Very happy to be out of there in a few weeks, it was a real eye opener in terms of how inefficient and idiotic a large federal organization can be.

Posts: 498 | Location: NH | Registered: August 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
My examples of USPS problems have been centered on mail delivery...I have been really pleased with how these "problems" have been have been remedied by those directly involved...my current carrier as well as my former carrier who retired (a range member) has been totally positive...

Other than that, I can't complain...but your OP reminds me of some examples I've seen of local city/county/state employees Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10588 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I found out that even if:

1. USPS has my item in their possession at the local post office
2. 2 different USPS employees admit that they had the item in their specific possession
3. I paid for the insurance
4. I proved on 2 different occasions within the same week that USPS lost my item

USPS is still not liable for losing my item and I'm out $60 including the fee for delivery even though I didn't receive my item.

USPS generally does a good job but like alot of people they're not responsible for their own actions.

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Top. Men.

Posts: 238 | Registered: March 11, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
I have had good luck with my local branch,

good people, and I have a good regular route guy,
not so sure about his day off driver, but no issues,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10423 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We have a USPS in our downtown shopping area. It's always the least maintained property. The trash is usually full and the lawn overgrown. I'm thankful I don't need to go there very often as the service mirrors the way they take care of the place.

Posts: 5691 | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Well, I'll take USPS over this crap Amazon contracted company OnTrac any day of the week. I've never had issues with the Post office in my town, but apparently my latest package from amazon was "delivered" by OnTrac. I say "delivered" but it wasn't actually delivered. It is marked delivered on the amazon website, but it most certainly is not in hand.

I'll give it one day and then I'll raise hell. I was hoping my area would somehow avoid deliveries by those clowns.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30410 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Well, I'll take USPS over this crap Amazon contracted company OnTrac any day of the week. I've never had issues with the Post office in my town, but apparently my latest package from amazon was "delivered" by OnTrac. I say "delivered" but it wasn't actually delivered. It is marked delivered on the amazon website, but it most certainly is not in hand.

You can tell by the name that they SUCK.

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
this crap Amazon contracted company OnTrac
You want to see "crap?" Wait until the send your order via AMZL (Amazon Logistics). I have never seen such a screwed up delivery carrier in my life.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30677 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SevenPlusOne
posted Hide Post
quote:
SURPRISE the repair was done during a very busy workday.

When should they do it?

"Ninja kick the damn rabbit"

Posts: 4619 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: October 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
When should they do it?

After hours, it would cause less inconvenience.

BTW it was not a problem for me I anticipate this sort of thing. They restriped the USPS lot in the middle of a weekday. They got a real workout moving those cones around to prevent the half mile long line of people trying to navigate the parking lot.

Bunch of savages
in this town
Picture of ASKSmith
posted Hide Post
ZSMichael,

Some work is contracted out, for obvious reasons, whether it be equipment/man power related. I can't say without a doubt that it may have been USPS maintenance painting the lines, but I would not be surprised if it wasn't. I can guarantee you that the USPS does not use any USPS employees to plow their parking lots after a snow storm, or wash their trucks. I still don't understand why they even bother contracting out someone to wash trucks, let alone wash them.

As far as "8 guys standing around", I'll believe you on that. Welcome to USPS management.

Highly paid? Surely you jest...

-----------------
I apologize now...

Posts: 10552 | Registered: December 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Spend thirty years with the USPS and earn the right to complain.

Three or four years ago we got enough snow to bend or break the pine trees surrounding the office I worked at. The gate to the rear parking lot was 1/3 obscured by a tree as were most parking spaces. I chopped down the tree blocking the gate with my Gerber hatchet and machete. I drug it to the lower end of the parking lot with my RAV4. Every day before I left work I would drag branches and tree tops to the bottom of the parking lot. The following Sunday I took my Stihl chainsaws and power pruner and spent two hours cutting the debris into pieces that were easy to handle.

The OIC (acting PM) was grateful and had the maintenance men throw the debris over the fence. He had requested help or funds from the district to clean up the mess but never got a response.

I retired in April 2017. I was 59 years old. I wasn’t tired of working, just tired of working for the USPS. Tired of the way it was run and the lack of people with common sense and an eye on the future runnng it.

The vast majority of my fellow employees and managers I worked with in that time were excellent, dedicated people who do not deserve the disrespect that comes with threads like this.

Posts: 1988 | Location: metro Atlanta, GA | Registered: July 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post