SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Posting something positive: Lane automotive museum, Nashville
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Posting something positive: Lane automotive museum, Nashville Login/Join 
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted
I was last there in the second year that they were open, now 20 years. The founder is still involved. He was there Saturday when we went, parked his Morgan out front.

If you're ever around Nashville this is worth the visit. The vehicles had almost all changed since I was there last. They ran 3 live demonstrations while we were there (uncommon).

Even the women with us who generally aren't big car people thoroughly enjoyed the museum. You will see such rarities, oddities and unique vehicles from all over the world that everyone will have something they find interesting and people will struggle to pick their number 1 favorite vehicle.

I think April 1st they are giving kids under 12 rides in micro cars, like the Messerschmitt.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5641 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
I'd like to go visit. Thank you for mentioning it.

Here's a link, for others interested: https://www.lanemotormuseum.org/

God bless America.

Posts: 13419 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Lane automotive museum

Looks interesting, really like seeing these places, some folks really put together interesting collections.

Link

Posts: 23224 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
It's a pretty amazing place if you're into cars. My wife isn't- but she loved it too. They have a huge collection that they rotate out regularly and some of it's pretty quirky.

It's worth it to pay the extra for the behind the scenes tour- they take you through the basement (where they warehouse and repair everything that's not on display) and outside so you get to see the whole collection and not just the stuff they have on display at the moment.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3508 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, it is great fun with a lot of interesting cars. I take out of town guests there frequently.

Posts: 985 | Location: Nashville | Registered: October 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Ooh, I love those kinds of museums. Back when I lived near there, circa mid-1990s, I visited the Petersen museum in Los Angeles. At the time I went, most of the cars on display were Duesenbergs, with the theme "It's a Duesy!"

Posts: 27817 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
For our two wheel enthusiasts, and frankly anyone with an interest in motorsports and world wide history of transportation, Barber Motorsports is a must stop

If all y'all get a little south of Nashville, outside of Birmingham Alabama, stop into the Barber Motorsports Museum, you won't believe the inventory including motorcycles for the most part an some race cars.

You'll see some makes that you only read about, right there, Ariel 4, 1912 Indian, 1894 Hildebrand and Wolfmuller, the list never seems to end.

Race race bike enthusiasts, oh mamma, you will jaw drop... Maybe you can get out on the circuit LOL

Link

Posts: 23224 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted Hide Post
I haven’t been there since 2005. I will put it on my list of things to check out as I enjoyed it my last time through.

Posts: 2930 | Location: Middle-TN | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
That place is amazing. Try to get a tour of the “basement” or all the stuff not on the floor.

Do they still do the car crush?

Even if you are not a car person it’s worth going to see some weird and interesting pieces.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7625 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I'm sure I'd enjoy a visit.

I can recommend the Auburn Cord Duesenburg Museum in Auburn, Indiana.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
If you love motorcycles, Wheels Through Time in Maggie Valley North Carolina is certainly worth your time. Every one of the bikes run.

Wheels Through Time

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
For our two wheel enthusiasts, and frankly anyone with an interest in motorsports and world wide history of transportation, Barber Motorsports is a must stop

If all y'all get a little south of Nashville, outside of Birmingham Alabama, stop into the Barber Motorsports Museum, you won't believe the inventory including motorcycles for the most part an some race cars.

You'll see some makes that you only read about, right there, Ariel 4, 1912 Indian, 1894 Hildebrand and Wolfmuller, the list never seems to end.

Race race bike enthusiasts, oh mamma, you will jaw drop... Maybe you can get out on the circuit LOL

Link

Barber has been on my list for quite a while, but it's just far enough away that I've never made it down there.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3508 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post