SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Help Me Stock Up A Winter Medical Supply
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help Me Stock Up A Winter Medical Supply Login/Join 
Dances With
Tornados
posted
Every year about this time I go out and buy the case of Kleenex at Sams or Costco, a couple bags of cough drops, a bottle of Tylenol, and maybe some Nyquil. I always keep lots of chicken noodle soup, broth, 7-UP, rice and apple sauce (BRAT advice Bananas, Rice, Apple Sauce, Toast).

I really don't know what to buy and have on hand.

My thinking is, when you come down sick, you're usually too sick to go to the store and buy stuff.

I can never remember when to use a decongestant or whatever to stop the runny nose or free up a stuffed up head/nasal. Seems like sometimes I both a runny nose and clogged up head at the time. I don't really know.

This year, with the Covid crap, I don't know if I'd even be able to get in to see my Doc. I've already had the flu shot.

So, what else should I get? I'm thinking some sort of cough med (but it seems the OTC stuff is pretty weak) Mucinex, maybe something to nasal rinse? I don't know what else?

If you were going to get a box and stuff it full of stuff to have on hand, what would you get, and why? Money is not an issue. I'd rather have it on hand.

Thanks in advance.

Posts: 11994 | Location: Near Hooker Oklahoma, closer to Slapout Oklahoma | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I tend to keep these stocked for "flu/cold season":
Mucinex
Coricidin
Tylenol
Vicks Vaporub
Kleenex with lotion
Cough drops
Gatorade powder
Caffeine-free mint tea

But I steer clear of OTC meds with stimulant decongestants, since they make me overly jittery. I'd rather deal with a stuffy nose than feel like I'm cracked out. (It's funny... I have a high caffeine tolerance, but a low decongestant tolerance.)

Posts: 33108 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wingfoot
posted Hide Post
I like to have nasal spray and the gel when the air gets so dry my nose will bleed.

You use the decongestant when you have a stuffed up nose and it’s hard to breathe. The antihistamine when you have a runny nose and when it runs down the back of your throat it will help dry it up.

Posts: 1855 | Location: Peachtree City, GA | Registered: January 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Add nasal inhalers... very effective and all without drugs.

--Herbion
--Olbas
--Poy-Sian

Rhinase or similar lubricating nasal gel. Great to combat very low humidity, CPAP comfort, etc.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16533 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
OH, I forgot, I do have Fluticasone/Flonase, for year around allergies.

Posts: 11994 | Location: Near Hooker Oklahoma, closer to Slapout Oklahoma | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live Slow,
Die Whenever
Picture of medic451
posted Hide Post
Zinc tablets- Zycam or generic brand. They flat out work. Takes a moderate to severe 3-4 day cold and turns it into a mild 2 day cold for me.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
- John Wayne in "The Shootist"

Posts: 3488 | Location: California | Registered: May 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of craigcpa
posted Hide Post
Okay, I know it may sound weird to some, but I have a bottle of bourbon specifically for REAL medicinal purposes. Older generations used it with lemon and honey. I think it’s best straight. It’ll help sinus and throat problems.

==========================================
Just my 2¢

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫

Posts: 7731 | Location: Raleighwood | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
I keep fever reducers on hand and Benadryl.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 8019 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
No Chinese medicine cabinet would be without Yin Chiao during cold and flu season. I have literally knocked out an incipient flu with a single dose that I caught early.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16954 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
Vitamin D
Pepcid
Anbesol/clove oil

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8560 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
I tend to keep these stocked for "flu/cold season":

Coricidin

Hey there, thanks for replying.

There seems to be a variety of Coricidin, and most seem about the same. Which do you stock? More than 1?

Thanks

SIG's 'n Surefires
Picture of M-11
posted Hide Post
In addition to some of the other suggestions, we keep some sort of throat lozenge on hand and Imodium.

"Common sense is wisdom with its sleeves rolled up." -Kyle Farnsworth
"Freedom of Speech does not guarantee freedom from consequences." -Mike Rowe
"Democracies aren't overthrown, they're given away." -George Lucas

Posts: 6880 | Location: IL, due south of the Arch | Registered: April 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:
There seems to be a variety of Coricidin, and most seem about the same. Which do you stock? More than 1?

The original Coricidin Cough and Cold. Then take Mucinex if you also have chest congestion and need an expectorant, and/or take Tylenol if you also have a fever or body aches.

That's all the various other Coricidin products do anyway... Add Guaifenesin (Mucinex) and/or Acetaminophen (Tylenol) to their original Dextromethorphan/Chlorpheniramine formula.

Posts: 33108 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
OK thank all y'all for your help. I've made my shopping list. I've added the lower sugar Gatorade and PowerAde to it.

I'm also making sure I have plenty of chicken stock, frozen mixed vegetables, small pasta pieces, and cans of chicken along with some frozen shredded chicken from a rotisserie bird, that makes home made chicken soup quick and easy when you get tired of canned chicken soup.

Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:
I'm also making sure I have plenty of chicken stock, frozen mixed vegetables, small pasta pieces, and cans of chicken along with some frozen shredded chicken from a rotisserie bird, that makes home made chicken soup quick and easy when you get tired of canned chicken soup.

This is one of my favorite chicken soup recipes, and it's easy to make using nothing but canned and frozen ingredients. (Even the celery... Yes, you can freeze chopped celery, as long as you blanch it first; it loses its crispness but it's still fine for soups/stews/casseroles.)

Creamy Chicken and Rice Soup

1 tablespoon oil
1 minced onion (or a small bag of frozen chopped onions)
3 large peeled and diced carrots (or a small bag of frozen chopped carrots)
3 stalks diced celery (see note above about frozen celery)
1 teaspoon garlic minced
1 teaspoon dried parsley
0.5 teaspoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon salt
0.25 teaspoon black pepper
5 cups low sodium chicken broth
2 chicken breasts (or a can or two of shredded chicken)
1 cup uncooked brown or white rice
1.5 cups evaporated milk (1 can)

1. In a large soup pot, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion, carrots, and celery and cook and stir for 3-4 minutes, until onion begins to turn golden.

2. Add garlic, parsley, and thyme and cook 1 minute.

3. Add salt and pepper, broth, chicken, and rice. Stir and bring to a boil over medium-high heat.

4. Reduce heat to medium-low (a simmer), cover, and cook for 30 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes, or until vegetables and rice are tender.

5. Remove chicken from pot, shred, and add back to the pot. (That step is not necessary if you used canned chicken).

6. Pour in evaporated milk.

7. Stir, serve, and eat!

Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.
posted Hide Post
I've found that by avoiding school age children. and anybody that has them, I no longer get sick much anymore.
I have some cough drops that I bought several years ago still on the shelf.
I also quit getting a flu shot and that has greatly reduced the sickness level in our house.

Integrity is doing the right thing, even when nobody is looking.

Posts: 4247 | Location: Metamora MI | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post